Newbie from South Wales UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13449

Reaction score
Hello All

I'm Martin, Cornish and living in South Wales UK, I recently signed up to the site and just saying hello.

A bit about my history.

My main hobby is RC Aircraft and Helicopters, I served a 5 year mech eng apprenticeship when I left school for an American Gear cutting company and after the apprenticeship I ended up in the tool room making various things on the lathe, mills and surface grinders. I left there and ended up working on turbine compressor blades for engines in cruise missiles. That got a bit sole destroying so ended up setting my own company up to do with Radio Controlled products.

I'm married with 2 kids and finally have a workshop so that I can escape, so I am now getting back into turning and milling.

I have a Myford lathe and a Naerok mill and currently I am making swarf and plenty of it. Ive started making a ball turning jig and will post a picture if it turns out any good ;)

I quite like these engines that are candle powered so that may be the next project but will see what crops up.

Im enjoying seeing the items that are being shown on the forum and the workshops that they are being created in.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forums.

Do you mind if I ask which part of wales your in?

Welcome to HMEM Martin. Looking forward to your builds.

WELCOME i'M JUST DOWN THE ROAD IN LLANDAFF NORTH
Don

Hello Martin and a warm welcome to the forum! BTW do you still eat cornish pasties? :)
Stew.

WELCOME i'M JUST DOWN THE ROAD IN LLANDAFF NORTH
Don

Hi Don

Yes we are close, i've noticed quite a few from South Wales area, we will have to plan a gathering over a beer at some point.

compspecial - Yes but only real Cornish ones ;)

Hi Martin

Welcome, Im also new here (tho been reading for years) and also live in southwales (Newport)

DJH

Hello Martin, Welcome,
This is a great site, a bunch of real nice people with great things to share. I have learned a lot by reading what is posted. I hope your projects do well.

Hello there,
Well I'm a newbie too and based in Barry good to know there is some locals to me!! who share in my affliction oops sorry addiction...... I just wish I had the space and money to do some full size ones!!

Hello Martin:

I fly RC helicopters as well. Getting back into steam engines after a 30 year layoff and now I'm trying to figure out how to get one mounted on one of my helicopters. Actually the engine is not the problem, it's the boiler!

And this is a great site for model engine information.

John

Hello Martin:

I fly RC helicopters as well. Getting back into steam engines after a 30 year layoff and now I'm trying to figure out how to get one mounted on one of my helicopters. Actually the engine is not the problem, it's the boiler!

And this is a great site for model engine information.

John

Steam powered heli, that would be interesting :)

Hello trapper23 yet another local which is great, I have friends who wonder why and what my lathe and mill is for so good to know there are like minded people nearby along with this forum community.

Hi Everybody,:D

I am also in South Wales, in Abertillery, about 20 miles above Newport!

My name is also Martin...

Working on a Virginia and workshop tools.

Not new to the forum but I thought I'd just chip and say welcome to the other Martin.

Arnak

Hi Everybody,:D

I am also in South Wales, in Abertillery, about 20 miles above Newport!

My name is also Martin...

Working on a Virginia and workshop tools.

Not new to the forum but I thought I'd just chip and say welcome to the other Martin.

Arnak

Hello and welcome, yes Abertillery is close by. Good to make contact with you.

Hello, are you in any local clubs?

Motormagican - hello and thank you

Hi Martin, not in any clubs, I used to fly model helis but now I just play in my workshop trying to make engines, (trying being the operative word)

Thanks

DJH

Latest posts

Back