Newbie from India.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de_das_dude

Enthusiastic Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am currently 20 years old, and am one year away from finishing my bachelors degree in mechanical engineering from a state affiliated college.

The reason for me enrolling in ME was the fact that i loved engines ever since i was a kid. At this point, i know the theoretical aspects behind engines, but am clueless on how to build one/ or how to work with one thanks to our learning system.

Nevertheless, i am fond of working long hours in the college workshop, so i have become pretty efficient in using the lathe, thanks to all the after hours i spent doing odd jobs for our dept.

There are a lot of lathes in the workshop, but all of them are probably old throwaways from industrial auctions except one. One of the lathes is completely new with the ability to set feed and speed automatically among a very wide range of values. Hence its possible to get quiet a high finish.

Now i always wanted to make engines. I started off when i was 12 years old, and i made a make shift "jet" engine from making the barrel out of a deodorant can and the blades/turbine(it was more the former) out of some aluminium sheet . it burned rubbing alcohol, and needed to be turned with an electric motor salvaged from a toy. Nevertheless it only looked good and i was happy.

But, now, since i am a lot older, i want to build a small diesel engine, possibly 4 stroke. Looking forward to getting accepted here, and gaining lots of knowledge.

PS: when i am supposed to work, i want to work on pneumatic and/or electronic valve control and fuel delivery systems for engines.

Cheers!!
(just realied i made this intro quite a bit boring)

Hello Das and welcome. I'm sure you'll find lots of expertise here to help you along your engine building adventures. Engine building will draw on many skills but before one embarks on making a 4 stroke diesel I would suggest one starts with a simple oscillating valve steam engine. The materials are easily obtainable and is a reasonable project as a starter.

Good luck,

Jerry.

Welcome aboard :)

I was an electrical engineering student when I was in college (hence the 'EE' in my user name) but that didn't stop me from hanging around the college machine shop for the whole 4 years I was there. We had the same sort of collection of heavily worn machines, but they taught me a lot.

Are you at IIT?

Welcome to the forum . Old iron does not mean it is worn out . My favorite lathe is a 1937 south bend lathe that lived at the university of Pennsylvania for the first 65 or so years of its life.
Welcome to the forum thanks for the introduction.
Tin

thanks for the warm welcome :D

Welcome aboard :)

I was an electrical engineering student when I was in college (hence the 'EE' in my user name) but that didn't stop me from hanging around the college machine shop for the whole 4 years I was there. We had the same sort of collection of heavily worn machines, but they taught me a lot.

Are you at IIT?
nah, im nowhere near sincere enough towards my studies to get into IIT :p

thanks for the warm welcome :D
nah, im nowhere near sincere enough towards my studies to get into IIT :p

In which case, you are my kind of guy! Rof}

Pull up a chair and stay a while!

Latest posts

Back