newbee question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SE18

Reaction score
In 3 years moving to the country and building a 15" estate railway. It will not be a miniature railway; rather, the design will be similar to what mines use.

Rather than wait, I'd like to start building things I need now, starting with curly spoked and other types of wheels. Not alum, but desiring either steel or likelier cast iron.

But first, I need to build some sort of furnace and then figure out how to cast.

Is there one particular site here or elsewhere that describes how to do what I just described? My only experience has been building a crappy Reil burner (not that Reil is crappy, but my skills)

I also need to hunt around for a good supply of rails and perhaps start stocking up on those; I plan to start with a flatcar to shuttle rails out so a locomotive or critter isn't needed right away. I'll be hunting for at least 5 acres in the Harrisonburg, VA area where my daughter and her husband and family lives, getting away from this crazy DC area. Thanks!

Sorry wasn't more descriptive in my headline, but I can't find a way to edit it.

The first hing you should do is locate a local club. Maybe buy a couple Kozo books. There are lots of kinds of trains I am not sure what you are looking for . You may also want to subscribe to live steam magazine and plan On attending the Cabin fever expo show next january and vitit r&T in Kinzer Pa . I will try to get you more details later.
Tin

can you point me to a Kozo book that relates to what I'm after? so he tells how to cast and what's needed for diecast wheels?

What you are suggesting is a grand undertaking. I am not saying it can not be done. Because it has been done . An acquaintance of the family purchased a small locomotive on a similar scale IIRC to run on a 8 hp B&S gas engine . this engine or actualy small train was built by an uncle who worked in the mines and savaged wheels axles track etc.
A long road to build from scratch if you know nothing about machining or casting.
tin

Latest posts

Back