New ..

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All !
I designed the engine
Hope I can do it
Assembly1 engine 2.jpg
Assembly1 engine 3.jpg
Assembly1 engine 4.jpg

Looking forward to the build. Will the plans be available to the public? Are they in metric?

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne

aka9950202!
They are in metric
About the plan, most of the components have a zero tolerance (the diameter of the cylinder and piston is 16mm, ..) it is more like a Lego assembly than a mechanical plan or engine plan
I had a friend give me some advice on tolerances ... (who is a member of this forum), so I'm also planning that when I do this engine I will measure and determine all The dimensions of all details
all the engines I've done, they have almost no plans or only one part, I'm trying to redraw them.

For the first time and many times later, I made crankshaft : I welded the parts together and with pins,
With many cylinder engines I prefer to make crankshaft from one piece :D:D
Yes, it is almost completed

Hi All !!
I have a problem, I drill 4 bolt holes ( M3, 0.5 mm )
2 holes on the outside I can make threaded
The other 2 holes, the taps 3mm is too short and too close
so I would like to ask : is there a taps longer ?
If not,I plan to weld 3 mm steel bar to make the thread
Actually I don't want to weld, does anyone have any other solution?
Thanks !

20200503_183253.jpg
20200503_183314.jpg

Do you have a wrench that fits the square on the tap? You might be able to turn the tap a bit at a time. It would be slow, but might work.
If you don't have a wrench, you could put a slot that flits the square in a thin piece of steel.

Chuck

It seems you can buy long taps of that size LINK, but I don't know how good the cheap ones will be and the brand name ones get really expensive. I've never done it but it's possible to make a tap from a bolt. Being that this is only for tapping in aluminium, maybe you could make a tap for this one-off job? There's plenty of tutorials on Youtube, etc. but I don't know how difficult it is.

I found the price of the long taps to be " not worth it" so I took a piece of drill rod/silver steel and drilled and reamed a hole in it in the lathe. I put the tap in the tailstock of the lathe in a chuck and gave it a good push to press it in. Think you call that a good sliding fit. Haha!! Then I turned down the diameter of the rod on the tap end to .1875 or something like that to clear the wall next to the hole. I now have a 4-40 tap about a foot long. At least until i need that piece of rod more than i need a foot long tap.

Latest posts

Back