New Washington member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made mine without a mill (just the drill press). A mill definitely makes it easier but not essential.
P
My drill press is so sloppy, I already made a bad mistake tryhing to use it to drill holes for pins in a D1-5 ER collet holder. I could not get the correct accuracy. That doesn't mean that a lot of those engines cannot be made without a mill, it just means I'm putting my energy into gettings the mill going.

I have a lot of small parts I can make on the lathe, which I do, or at least get them to the point of ready for milling operations. I have lots of bolts and screws and shoulder bolts in this condition. I'm going to start on little brass parts soon.

I've been thinking that a mill attachment might be a good idea for these small builds. Thoughts?
I started with milling attachment.
But today there lot of small mills new used if you space.

I have also use a Aloris type tool post for milling small parts.

Dave

Especially for smaller lathes that replace the compound with the milling attachment the stresses can do irreparable damage.
Easy going, light cuts in steel, 12l14 is your friend.
Sharp tooling likewise.

It's crazy what 6" and 10" Atlas milling attachments go for these days.
On one hand the attachments will mill in a limited sense.
On the other hand it's money better saved to spend on a mill.
On the gripping hand we do what we do with what we have the best way we can.

Would like to make contact with 10K. I also live in Port Townsend. Arlie ph. 360 379-1253

Back