New use for tungsten carbide

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi2

Reaction score
Hi All,

I came across this lot on the local auction site. Who would have thunk it?
A set of tool steel cufflinks would go well with it.

Regards,
Alan C.

WCring.jpg

Quite cool, but there's a downside of hard metal rings. If you ever have to go to the ER with a swollen finger where the ring needs to be removed, it will be hard or impossible. Gold and silver rings can be cut off with a tool they have, but not hard metal.

TC ring is a current trend that has been going on for a few years now.
I think the rising crazy gold prices forced alternatives.
My son and his wife have tc wedding bands.
As far as removal not a problem . if you look at you tube there are videos that show the procedure. The metal is so hard it is brittle so just wrap the ring in cloth and clamp down with vise grips. properly set vise grip jaws only move a little enough movement and pressure to break the ring but will not go so far to crush a finger.
One of the first question I had when I heard of the tc rings was how does one remove it in an emergency . Easy with the right tool.
IIRC some jewelers will even replace the ring if you send them the old one that had to be broken off.
Tin

I hope no one is offended by this story, but it does involve hard rings and machinists.

A good friend of mine runs a machine shop in a seaside community. He often does work for local boat owners. One snowy winter night he received a phone call from one of his customers, a doctor in an emergency room at the local hospital. He asked how to cut a metal ring that from his description my friend determined was a ball bearing race. My friend suggested the only way to cut it would be an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Doctor asked him if he had one and could bring it to the ER. He did and was shown the problem- a young man had applied the ring around a sensitive part of his anatomy, swelling had occurred, and now the ring was stuck. They had been applying cold water but the swelling was persistent.

The ring was cut with the grinder and I assume the patient recovered. I have seen one half of the cut off ring.

Tin, you also know this fellow, probably the tallest guy you have met.

Yes I have met your friend one or twice . I would have thought the sight of him holding an angle grinder would have been enough to abate the "swelling"
Tin

A cheap dremel etc will cut off anything, including the rings.
Diamond wheel, about 5$.

And it wont cut fast or deep into body parts.

And its not so scary, as a 125 mm hand held grinder ".. now hold still, will you .."
Grin.

I would/could hand cut a ring off my own finger, with no major problems.
Hand in plate, full of water.
Wont get hot.

Back