New UK Member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was forwarded to this site from another forum, Ukworkshop, its a wood working forum, but one of the members just picked up a lathe and mill.
I asked about forums, and a member linked to this site.
I've spent a few days looking about and its a fantastic place here, lots of information.
I've yet to buy any machinery, but I am looking ot buy some reading material on engineering in general.
Are there any books people can recommend for the apprentice engineer?
I know its not what a lot of people want to do, but what kinds of projects did the apprencites have to complete back in the day?

Thanks everyone

Matt

Welcome Matt, enjoy yourself by having a good look around.

John

Hey Matt,
Welcome to this group. I'll throw out something that's been in the back of my mind and those who are more knowledgeable - please chime in to set me straight if I only had a dream about this. I seem to recall reading somewhere that apprentice machinists often built a working model of a machine, often an engine, to represent their skills. I also remember looking at an antique steam engine and being told that way back an engineer had to build a machine before graduating. The antique engine I was looking at had a nameplate on it with a person's name and his degree and year of graduation.

OK, from my vast (2 years) personal experience, the best way to learn how to use machine tools is to set a goal of making something. Start simple. During the project you'll encounter all sorts of "obstacles". Working through those with help from mentors, forums like this, and reading will get you through them...that's the learning process. It's worked for me. Have fun ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back