New to The Amateur Machinists World

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So. YOu are making tools to make tools to make parts? Hemingway has a kit for making a height gage? That's interesting. I've recently viewed a utub vid about making a square hole cutter from a round hole. Looks easy except for the hardening (I haven't the equipment for hardening). So did you actually escape from the nut house or do they let you use the internet?
I'd bet that you have almost all of what you'd need for hardening (oil or water with the air already provided (your cooling agent) and an oxy-fuel cutting system are major requirements) there are some possible compounds but I would think those are not really unobtanium.

Hi,good luck with the tooling. Just made a variation of the keats that slides in a keyway . Makes life a lot easier and that to my mind is what its about. Turned up a wee 7/32 crank so guess its going to have an engine built for it. Then a wee boat for it
The coffee game is very challenging but also profitable I started out for DE when the factories here started going to the land of who flung dung.
The master barista who trained me set up in Canada I think he just retired. Trades under Gio Been. Now that is nice coffee
The coffee machines despite what most think can be challenging to fix at times.Still have a crate load of bits for them kicking about
Keep well and good luck

Frazer,
I think that your Keats modification is GREAT! More details please?
I bought 30 kilo lot of new scrap for £40 and I'm simply waiting the time when my self darkening goggles stops steaming up to weld with one poor eye on my little MIG.
So I've ordered a couple of projects from Hemingway as mentioned earlier.

For the others, I now have a spare grinding table for my Acute t&C attachment so that I can waste my Children's Inheritance on wearing out my 160 diamond grit wheel. Again, I have 4 other diamond wheels of finer grits as well as syringes of progressive very fine grits- made from synthetic Russian diamonds.
Again, well I just would mention that I still have a tin of case hardening powder.
The book, it may be a different one to others but it it suggests that as n altrnative to sticking a red hot sword blade into a worthless slaving servant, I could look for a ginger headed virgin boy and ==extract his urine:)
We local yokels were replete with stories of German emigres in nearby Shotley Bridge who foldeed up white hot steel like Swiss Rolls and make sword steel do flexible that a gentleman's sword could could be wound into a circle to fit into a top hat.
I was never ginger but when dad was tempering, I also pee'd into the tempering trpugh.
The case hardening material was dried human excreta as and when and mixed with to hoof parings from the pit ponies as he the blacksmith farrier at the colliery.
Me follow in Dad's footsteps? Really?

The Father on my Best Man at our wedding was an Old World Engineer, he came to Canada during the depression. He ended up in the Tool and Die Room of GM Oshawa. One of the hobbies to the Tool Room was making knives, usually out of worn-out files or worn-out blades
My Friends father also made crucible steel. What he put in the mix astounded many in the tool room. I have the hand made knife from his crucible steel he made as a wedding gift for us. I was never ever able to sharpen it by hand. So it sat in the back of the drawer for years. Then I obtained the Tormek Sharpening system. Take my word for it, just having the best tools does not enable you to sharpen knives. You have to invest time and effort into learning how to sharpen a knife. Now I can almost slice a tomato by laying the knife on the tomato and drawing the knife across the tomato with only the weight of the knife. I would now say it is reasonably sharp. Having sharp kitchen knives, especially in these days of lock down where we are not going out to eat, it is up to me to create items to eat as my wife since her Pace Maker installation is no longer able to stand and work in the kitchen. BTW One Pot Meals are a Man's best friend. One pot to clean, super simple. the creativity is how to apply your creative genius in cooking an entire meal in a single pot and I do not mean a stew or such like I mean a full course meal.
How did I get so far off the topic of Machining, Sorry about that.

One day my daughter was using a knife at my home and said: "Oh This is a way a sharp knife cuts" or something to that effect. Next day she brought all her kitchen knives... Can you sharpen them?
It takes so little to keep a knife sharp, a couple licks on the steel. In a pinch just sharpening on against the other works better than a dull knife.

I'd bet that you have almost all of what you'd need for hardening (oil or water with the air already provided (your cooling agent) and an oxy-fuel cutting system are major requirements) there are some possible compounds but I would think those are not really unobtanium.
Actually, I no longer have my oxy-acet. equipment--a so called friend (a meth-hed) "borrowed" them, then claimed they were his, then sold them for meth. That was many years ago. But I might be able to start a fire in an outside stove that I built a few years ago when I wanted to test out a fire box I found in a "prepper" book. It certainly got very hot and was fun to fire up in the snow, cook some hotdogs, marsh-mallows, and drink some Heinekins. (Don't really drink and don't really like marsh-mallows, but it sounds good.) Since then, however, I have discovered these "rocket stoves" which I thimpfk might work even better if configured for hardening work.

I pick up two versions of the Rocket Stove. Which is an interesting concept. It sure goes through fuel fast. Fuel being anything that will burn. If you go on line people have taken the Rocket Stove to ridiculous directions but it is an interesting concept. It is one of those things that could an perhaps should, could and has been designed and fabricated of flat stock that can be broken down and stored in bottom of a vehicle tool box, for emergencies or even simple outings where fuel is what you can find. It seems more of the world has restriction on open flame fires. the Rocket stove can be setup and deployed in a short time and provide a safe and efficient source for cooking. The Size and Material used can be any convenient material you have on hand I would not recommend Aluminum as the heat some fo there stoves can reach is capable of melting aluminum. I have seen Stainless versions suitable for backpacking, in wilderness areas where contained fires are permitted. this type fo stove can be carried in a form that is lighter than a liquid during stove with its associated and required fuel. Note this type and style of stove is very much a kin to the liquid fuel stoves that are non temperature controlled devices. All Heat or Nothing. IF you are boiling water or preparing a simple meal is perfectly fine. As soon as you attempt to control the flow of the air to slow down the efficiency you move away from the rocket or high volume of air input stove.

I pick up two versions of the Rocket Stove. Which is an interesting concept. It sure goes through fuel fast. Fuel being anything that will burn. If you go on line people have taken the Rocket Stove to ridiculous directions but it is an interesting concept. It is one of those things that could an perhaps should, could and has been designed and fabricated of flat stock that can be broken down and stored in bottom of a vehicle tool box, for emergencies or even simple outings where fuel is what you can find. It seems more of the world has restriction on open flame fires. the Rocket stove can be setup and deployed in a short time and provide a safe and efficient source for cooking. The Size and Material used can be any convenient material you have on hand I would not recommend Aluminum as the heat some fo there stoves can reach is capable of melting aluminum. I have seen Stainless versions suitable for backpacking, in wilderness areas where contained fires are permitted. this type fo stove can be carried in a form that is lighter than a liquid during stove with its associated and required fuel. Note this type and style of stove is very much a kin to the liquid fuel stoves that are non temperature controlled devices. All Heat or Nothing. IF you are boiling water or preparing a simple meal is perfectly fine. As soon as you attempt to control the flow of the air to slow down the efficiency you move away from the rocket or high volume of air input stove.
I'm very interested in the type that are designed for house/building heating which distribute the hot exhaust gasses under heat absorbing materials which release the heat slowly. I could use one for my garage-shop and one for my house. Altho' I live in one of the cheapest places in the country for electric costs (Grant County, Washington--named after Ulyssses), the cost is still very high compared to rocket stove heating. A rocket stove could be specifically designed for heat treating, I'm thimpfking.

From what I have read and from YouTube Videos the Rocket stove, concept could be used even for a forge which as we know could also be used to melt iron to make crucible steel.
I am sure with some thought the concept could be expanded to where the normal bellows of the forge would not be required. In effect you create a blast furnace, All this is old technology come full circle. But it does bring the scale down to a level where it can be done at home in the back yard. This time of Lockdown due to COVID-19 has enabled us time to reconsider what we have right here at home and how best to use what we have. Families have gone camping, in their back yard fully in compliance of the isolation rules. Not the Government never said we could not enjoy these times, they just did not say anything about what or how to do isolation, just to stay at home and stay away from other people.
Here in Edmonton, AB since we first move here in 1976 we noticed what I call the Fortress Mentality. (Six Foot high Board Fences between all properties. I replaced ours with Chain Link so I can see out into the world next to us. They consider us strange, People can look in and see what you are doing you have no privacy. hmmm
I am sure if someone had suggest it they would also have a moat all around their property as well. ha ha
While we have not gone camping in the back yard we do like to sit outside for coffee, when it is warm, but not warm enough to support mosquitoes. And have our espresso based coffee.
Life in Quarantine Lockdown is just so rough we have to have some relief, C-O-F-F-E-E -!-!-!
Ahhhhh! All better Now

From what I have read and from YouTube Videos the Rocket stove, concept could be used even for a forge which as we know could also be used to melt iron to make crucible steel.
I am sure with some thought the concept could be expanded to where the normal bellows of the forge would not be required. In effect you create a blast furnace, All this is old technology come full circle. But it does bring the scale down to a level where it can be done at home in the back yard. This time of Lockdown due to COVID-19 has enabled us time to reconsider what we have right here at home and how best to use what we have. Families have gone camping, in their back yard fully in compliance of the isolation rules. Not the Government never said we could not enjoy these times, they just did not say anything about what or how to do isolation, just to stay at home and stay away from other people.
Here in Edmonton, AB since we first move here in 1976 we noticed what I call the Fortress Mentality. (Six Foot high Board Fences between all properties. I replaced ours with Chain Link so I can see out into the world next to us. They consider us strange, People can look in and see what you are doing you have no privacy. hmmm
I am sure if someone had suggest it they would also have a moat all around their property as well. ha ha
While we have not gone camping in the back yard we do like to sit outside for coffee, when it is warm, but not warm enough to support mosquitoes. And have our espresso based coffee.
Life in Quarantine Lockdown is just so rough we have to have some relief, C-O-F-F-E-E -!-!-!
Ahhhhh! All better Now
I get it, I gets it! Yes, COFFEEEEE! I feel sorry for those people (my daughter included) who can't or won't enjoy the pleasure of a goo cup of java, no matter which way you prefer. As for those rocket stoves being used to founder metal, I thimpfks you are right. I should design one and test it. I have some easily melted pot metal that I have been trying to make into ingots for years, not to speak of about 150#s of brass waiting for moulds or ingots. Aluminum too. The thing I really appreciate learning about those rocket stoves is that when insulated, the firing chamber gets super-heated and burns the "smoke" cleanly. This is one of the important ideas for pollution control which is so cool in that it suks out all the latent heat of that smoke and reduces pollution to near zero! Coupled with proper methods of circulating that intense heat, one has one of the best possible methods of heating/cooking/tea making/coffee-ing/melting, whatever.

Now you are cooking so to speak. However a Combustion Engineer friend of mine pointed out that while we remove all the physical pollutants we also create Carbon Monoxide. Believe me the Environmentalists are never happy, you burn fuel, you ar polluting, and so on and so on.
Note most of the activists live in California in areas that never get to warm or too cold.
But they make time to visit our areas and tell us how we are doing it all wrong. mutter mutter grumble grumble
But you are correct, I believe, let the stove run wide open but concentrate on using the resultant heat in ways that suit your need, be it heat for a house or heat to melt iron, or brass or aluminum into a more usable form. So you have more material to use on your lathe or Mill to create other interesting things.
BTW I installed the Chain Link Fencing so we could look out but keep our dogs inside our yard. They also like to look out at what they consider their world as well. They like to visit with their friends as they come by on their walks, their humans require the exercise so they take them around the area while they visit their friends.

Now you are cooking so to speak. However a Combustion Engineer friend of mine pointed out that while we remove all the physical pollutants we also create Carbon Monoxide. Believe me the Environmentalists are never happy, you burn fuel, you ar polluting, and so on and so on.
Note most of the activists live in California in areas that never get to warm or too cold.
But they make time to visit our areas and tell us how we are doing it all wrong. mutter mutter grumble grumble
But you are correct, I believe, let the stove run wide open but concentrate on using the resultant heat in ways that suit your need, be it heat for a house or heat to melt iron, or brass or aluminum into a more usable form. So you have more material to use on your lathe or Mill to create other interesting things.
BTW I installed the Chain Link Fencing so we could look out but keep our dogs inside our yard. They also like to look out at what they consider their world as well. They like to visit with their friends as they come by on their walks, their humans require the exercise so they take them around the area while they visit their friends.
Well, I consider myself to be an "environmental scientist" which is NOT the same thing as an environmentalist. In a certain way the environmentalists get a bad rap (like conspiracy theorists). Tree huggers and screamers woujld not have any effect if they didn't hug or scream, so thanks Thor and Wotan for these people. On the other hand, I really thimpfk they are hugging the trees because their parents never hugged THEM, like wise about the screaming. If you remembers the '70s maybe you will also remember that the smog in the cities was so thick you could cut it with a cold knife and the rivers were not fit to swim in or fish in--the screamers basically forced Nixon to create the EPA which did a lot of good back then (godz, Thor and Wotan, 50 years ago? Incredible, didn't thimpfk I was even that old!) On the Left Coast, we must remember what has been done to the fish too: the race of sardines off the coast of California was WIPED OUT in the 30s and the salmon are almost gone now.

I salute you and your chain link fence. I, on the other hand, don't want my neighbors to get angry at the noise and unsightly sights to be seen in my backyard--this is a small city in the USA and neighbors are more likely to call the cops for tiny infringements of their rights.

WE live a far more quiet life. So we do not have parties or event which require any official being called to attendance as witness to the excessive festivities. ha ha
I have several projects in my head and parts and pieces in the shop.
1. The Acute Tool Sharpening System
2. Dual Dial Gauge Mill Tramming Tool
3. Flywheel based Fly Cutter using a Tangential tool cutter.
Currently I am looking into refinishing the Workbench tops with a clear Epoxy Resin surface.
Has anyone use this type of finish in their shop and if so do you have any recommendations.

WE live a far more quiet life. So we do not have parties or event which require any official being called to attendance as witness to the excessive festivities. ha ha
Currently I am looking into refinishing the Workbench tops with a clear Epoxy Resin surface.
Has anyone use this type of finish in their shop and if so do you have any recommendations.
How about that hard, tough material that kitchen counters are made of? I forget the name but it's readily available and probably in sizes you would like.

The parties are generally under control except during holidays which is bearable. We have noise laws (Thank Wotan and Thor) that all noise must cease after 10:00PM and not before 8:00 AM. Even so, my son and I might be clanking away loudly and playing with fire at the designated correct times. One neighbor complains at a squirrel chittering.

Back