New to The Amateur Machinists World

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good answer, you put me in my place, hibernating in my basement. and we do have indoor plumbing, and centra heating and cooling. No reindeer, but we do have coyotes and rabbits even in the city of Edmonton, some have white tailed deer others have the mule deer lots of skunks and a few moose.
When we moved into the house we had an entire open field across the from the back of the house. Now it is filled in with more housing.
We still like it here, but would prefer to live where I could keep the webbing between my toes wet. I was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia now we are totally land locked here in Edmonton. Poor Me. ha ha
So what are you doing in your shop today.

Very good answer, you put me in my place, hibernating in my basement. and we do have indoor plumbing, and centra heating and cooling. No reindeer, but we do have coyotes and rabbits even in the city of Edmonton, some have white tailed deer others have the mule deer lots of skunks and a few moose.
When we moved into the house we had an entire open field across the from the back of the house. Now it is filled in with more housing.
We still like it here, but would prefer to live where I could keep the webbing between my toes wet. I was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia now we are totally land locked here in Edmonton. Poor Me. ha ha
Actually, Mondays are my go to day, errands, bills, etc, so cannot really say what I do today. However, I have four steam engines I am working on and can't decide which to work on. I have two Stuarts, an upright and a horizontal with every thing identical except the bed, stand (standard) and a couple other parts, so I try to "mass" produce them. I make a lot of mistakes. I also have two Cole/Ray Corlisses. They have been sitting on the shelf nearly for 40 years. I made a bit of progrss when I bought an Enco 9-20 about 10-15 years ago, but I messed up more than I completed, plus the d**ned thing would not do LH threads--the very reason I bought it, having workt on larger machines, I never realized that kiddy toys wouldn't have LH threading capabilityh. Well, a couple weeks ago I got a nice 12-36 from Grizzly, so far very nice. What I really like about it is that it has a D1-5 nose. The junky enco had 8tpi threads which even when the hex screw was tightened down, tended to un screw when doing any work in reverse. I have already been threading on the Grizz. It's wonderful--nice 1.5mm thread, OK to good 8tpi internal threads, unfortunately I had started that project (an ER-40 holder) on the enco. It turned out to have horrible runout. I'll do another, this time from start to finish on the Grizz and only do the internal cone in the enco as this is what it is for.

I'm trying to get my drawings printed up so I don't always have to come to the computer to see shapes, dims, etc to the parts. The Stuarts are small projects so I SHOULD do them first, but the Corlisses are like za kid in a candy shop to me. I've wanted to get to them for years, just haven't had the tools, time or equipment to proceed.

I was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia now we are totally land locked here in Edmonton. Poor Me. ha ha
Halifax? Isn't that were there is a memorial to all the mariners who were lost in th War and where the seagull pick the crabs up and drop them like Alpine lammergeirs to smash them open?
I seem to recall a huge bit from a ship's rudder that was blown apart when an ammunition ship was blown apart. Lots of people trying to breed haggis and waving saltires at the poor beasts.;)
Today, it is still about -4C, tool a delivery of 12 Myford Tee nuts in the Eskimos call 'fools' snow. Was having a play with the Acute Tool and cutter grinder and a brief episode with my Quorn
Read the latest 'Epistle from United Grand Lodge of England as I am a Provincial Officer and

auditor. They are making a complete b***'s of it.
Settling down to a 'small':D libation of Monkey's Shoulder so I greet you well.
eye jab for macular Degeration is less sore whilst the 1st jab for Covid-19 is barely troubling me now
Norman

Last edited:
Actually, Mondays are my go to day, errands, bills, etc, so cannot really say what I do today. However, I have four steam engines I am working on and can't decide which to work on. I have two Stuarts, an upright and a horizontal with every thing identical except the bed, stand (standard) and a couple other parts, so I try to "mass" produce them. I make a lot of mistakes. I also have two Cole/Ray Corlisses. They have been sitting on the shelf nearly for 40 years. I made a bit of progrss when I bought an Enco 9-20 about 10-15 years ago, but I messed up more than I completed, plus the d**ned thing would not do LH threads--the very reason I bought it, having workt on larger machines, I never realized that kiddy toys wouldn't have LH threading capabilityh. Well, a couple weeks ago I got a nice 12-36 from Grizzly, so far very nice. What I really like about it is that it has a D1-5 nose. The junky enco had 8tpi threads which even when the hex screw was tightened down, tended to un screw when doing any work in reverse. I have already been threading on the Grizz. It's wonderful--nice 1.5mm thread, OK to good 8tpi internal threads, unfortunately I had started that project (an ER-40 holder) on the enco. It turned out to have horrible runout. I'll do another, this time from start to finish on the Grizz and only do the internal cone in the enco as this is what it is for.

I'm trying to get my drawings printed up so I don't always have to come to the computer to see shapes, dims, etc to the parts. The Stuarts are small projects so I SHOULD do them first, but the Corlisses are like za kid in a candy shop to me. I've wanted to get to them for years, just haven't had the tools, time or equipment to proceed.
Are we talking the Grizzly G4003 - 12" x 36" Gear-Head, Cam Lock Spindle, Lathe
Very Nice.

Halifax? Isn't that were there is a memorial to all the mariners who were lost in th War and where the seagull pick the crabs up and drop them like Alpine lammergeirs to smash them open?
I seem to recall a huge bit from a ship's rudder that was blown apart when an ammunition ship was blown apart. Lots of people trying to breed haggis and waving saltires at the poor beasts.;)
Today, it is still about -4C, tool a delivery of 12 Myford Tee nuts in the Eskimos call 'fools' snow. Was having a play with the Acute Tool and cutter grinder and a brief episode with my Quorn
Read the latest 'Epistle from United Grand Lodge of England as I am a Provincial Officer and

auditor. They are making a complete b***'s of it.
Settling down to a 'small':D libation of Monkey's Shoulder so I greet you well.
eye jab for macular Degeration is less sore whilst the 1st jab for Covid-19 is barely troubling me now
Norman
Here is hoping you do not grow a extra Left foot to trip over, as a side effect of the Jab. ha ha

Are we talking the Grizzly G4003 - 12" x 36" Gear-Head, Cam Lock Spindle, Lathe
Very Nice.
Actually; the g4003g which has a D1-5 chuck and the outboard (as they call it) centering bolts for the left side of the spindle (is that the cam lock?). When I went to visit Mark in Mossyrock, it turned out he had one, it was the first one I saw in the flesh and surprize, surprize, that was the one I was buying. So far, it's very nice, a few petty complaints and one big one: The inside ways do not go far enough toward the spindle nose and thus I cannot get a steady rest close to the nose--I DO need this capability sometimes. Also, the steady pistons only open up to about 1-1/2" which isn't enough. It has adequate power, accuracy and capability otherwise (so far, i've only had it a couple weeks.) I will be building tools for this machine, am looking for a couple of D1-5 back plates for future collet making, ER-40 and 50s. Anybody ever consider making ER collet chucks using the MT5 spindle nose? It might work if one took small cuts or maybe made a bolt or whatever to hold it in from the back like quick change collets. i thimpfk I will try that especially since I have an ER-40 holder that I messt up for the enco. Might cut off the threaded end (for the enco 8tpi spindle nose) and work it to fit the MT5. Well, worth a try and if it doesn't work, I have lots more metal.

After having the crappy enco for 10-15 years, this Grizz is like a Limousin with pretty good slow speeds (70 rpm), slow feed speeds, CROSS feed (what a miracle!), a decent sized spindle hole and other nice features. It would be nice to have a back gear, but that would have cost more. I really like the tail stock quick lock--what a time and irritation saver, also the ram moves 4" to the enco 1" (nominally 1-1/2", but not in reality). So I am really enjoying this machine.

I haven't done any LH threads yet, but I might try a few for the Corliss which has lots of adjusting rods with LH and RH threads opposing each other for length adjustments. Actually, I can hardly wait to try this.

If it all be true, I feel that a first year engineering student embarking on model engineering will now be overwhelmed with the sheer verbosity and complexity of what is being purported to be 'the norm'
I can only hope that is not put off altogether with some of the accounts.
Being a bit of a classics student, I think one of my conclusions is the polite word-- hyperbole- pulling the longbow:)

And so it goes, with everyone getting edgy and biting at empty details. We are all getting tired of this pandemic. Winter in the north of the planet drags on. The cold and dark wear me down, on top of the quarantine. But we almost have January beat, the days are getting longer, and seed catalogs are appearing in the mail. I have to roust myself out to the shop and get more productive. Too much sitting watching old movies and visiting the family on Zoom. Time to get going on the next steam engine. That’s what this forum is all about, isn’t it?

A few minutes ago, I phoned an order through to Hemingwaykits. No connection other than I like the old fashioned polite service.
So it is 'displacement therapy' or something and now that my Acute t&c seems to be working, I have a new lathe height gauge kit to make and find out how good the lathe tools are and then assemble this Potts milling attachment which is claimed to be 'all singing and dancing' to make a gadget which is reputed to cut square holes from round holes.

Needs I say more? Oh yes, I live within walking distance- even for me from a mental hospital.
If they don't keep me in- I might tell you about it:confused::mad:

And so it goes, with everyone getting edgy and biting at empty details. We are all getting tired of this pandemic. Winter in the north of the planet drags on. The cold and dark wear me down, on top of the quarantine. But we almost have January beat, the days are getting longer, and seed catalogs are appearing in the mail. I have to roust myself out to the shop and get more productive. Too much sitting watching old movies and visiting the family on Zoom. Time to get going on the next steam engine. That’s what this forum is all about, isn’t it?
What you have, many people get--the fall and wintr blues. Any worse and it would be clinical depression.
But there are MANY ways to combat clinical depression--the first is COFFEEEEEEE!, Yes, it true, coffee fights depression. But there are other ways too, very brite lite, for instance a marijuana grow lite, if you use it for heating (or grow mary J) which works very well (know from experience), it is known that the lite penetrates your skull to you pituitary gland and makes yuour brain thimpfk it is summer or spring. This also works.

The last method may be the most effective for clinically depresst people but should work fine for most other people too: psilocybin mushroom-- it has been shown to "cure" clinicals from about 6 mos. to a year. So you might have to take it up to two times per year. But like most places in the world it is illegal to take certain foods or drugs most likely because you are likely to have the revelations that what we are taught, what our laws are and how our society is stitched togetehr is a load of bull****. Plus you might have the revelation that those persons who control the law are afraid of these revelations as it might reduce their poweer like th e protestant revolution against catholicism. Also, the pure pleasure one derives is also societally illegal (Puritanistic).

Just so you know, I thimpfk this forum is MORE than just about engines. I thimpfk it is a forum to keep my sanity at all times, not just the pandemic time. I enjoy the stories people tell besides the showing off the neat engines and technical stuff.

Last edited:
A few minutes ago, I phoned an order through to Hemingwaykits. No connection other than I like the old fashioned polite service.
So it is 'displacement therapy' or something and now that my Acute t&c seems to be working, I have a new lathe height gauge kit to make and find out how good the lathe tools are and then assemble this Potts milling attachment which is claimed to be 'all singing and dancing' to make a gadget which is reputed to cut square holes from round holes.

Needs I say more? Oh yes, I live within walking distance- even for me from a mental hospital.
If they don't keep me in- I might tell you about it:confused::mad:
So. YOu are making tools to make tools to make parts? Hemingway has a kit for making a height gage? That's interesting. I've recently viewed a utub vid about making a square hole cutter from a round hole. Looks easy except for the hardening (I haven't the equipment for hardening). So did you actually escape from the nut house or do they let you use the internet?

I do not wish to be caught up in the Inter-net:(
I'm old and get tired- mainly of objectionable people:mad:
So I need lots of rest- as much inte-rest as I can going into my cough-ers!:D

I am sure it was just a day pass, like mine.
When you get serious about coffee or is that snooty, you get involved in making Espresso.
Then you will have friends who can describe how you should or should not grind your coffee, Tamp the grinds. then you have the purists who would never add milk of any type to "Their" espresso. We can get so wound up in the most minutia of matters.
But then again Coffee is important, while any thing else is just pedestrian. ha ha
I received two face mills last week. They both use the 1604 style of carbide insert.
One hold the insert in the vertical plane while the other holds the insert in the horizontal plane.
Both have 4 inserts and use the same FMB 22 R8 arbor.
I have watched several YouTube videos on these tools and the finish depends the insert used. This style of insert has inserts specific to the material you want to cut.
I got one on AliExpress and the other on Banggood. be patient as it takes about 3 weeks to arrive in the mail. But the price is about half of what I have seen for the same item on Amazon.
If I am to believe the Youtube videos for these same items the specs are excellent.
I will have to perform some runout tests on my own to confirm what they say. How ever I can tell you that the finish looks good and the R8 arbor fits nicely into my mill with zero burrs found on the tool anywhere. One interesting feature is these are both over 30mm in diameter which is the Little Machine Shop Maximum Face Mill spec. Yet the reviews I watch using the same or equivalent mill were having zero difficulty running the 50mm face mill and producing very good results.
So I bought the two variants of the same thing as an experiment more than anything.
the cost was a nominal $30CDN delivered so I have no complaints.
Playing with the machines is fun and if a person observes all the safety protocols there is almost nothing that cannot be done.
Having people to encourage and instruct you to achieve even the simplest task is very important. And I do not mean just as you are starting out, even the old pros have blind spots and need to stretch to achieve in areas where they may be uncomfortable.

Worked for nigh on 20 years in the coffee industry . Try teaching the Italians how to make an espresso or set a grinder ho hum
You know what most of it is pure bull sh%t
Most in home coffee machines canna make a decent espresso especially those pod things talk about added value 5grms of coffee for the price of 100grms.
Nespresso dropped a clanger when they didnt lock the patent down tighter
Faema even had humidity monitoring and vibration sensors to auto set the grinders. Not much fun when the beggars wound themselves right out and springs n bits disappear into the blue yonder yet again . The newer kit is blue toothed to the coffee machine .Talk about over kill for a cup of coffee
Drink Whisky then the world just becomes a pleasant blur
Well thank heaven's thats all in the past. still get the odd flash back though
Never liked working for a living or for the man
Enjoyed reading through
cheers

goldstar31
It took me a while, Monkey Shoulder, Blended Scotch whisky. OK I can understand. I use my Espresso for much the same purpose, I just add extra chocolate.
I just checked our Delivery box, and found my latest Amazon shipment you guessed it my subscription of "Coffee" There is no way I go out if not absolutely required, during the COVID-19 lockdown. I have Amazon delivery. and important medical needs like COFFEE are an absolute necessity. Tomorrow I expect my wife' flavouring Hazelnut syrup.
There are always some absolute essentials other than toilet paper during a pandemic. ha ha
Mind you I do not think I want my coffee beans aged for years before I use them. Just saying.
Oh to get back to the serious topic of creating some interesting machine tool.
Another project is building a Dual Dial Gauge Mill Tramming Tool as proposed by Bogstandard on Dial Gauge Mill Tramming Tool
one of the thread followers made a suggestion that intrigued me. the idea being that perhaps the bar can be built to any length required for the purpose of increasing the accuracy or ease of use.

Worked for nigh on 20 years in the coffee industry . Try teaching the Italians how to make an espresso or set a grinder ho hum
You know what most of it is pure bull sh%t
Most in home coffee machines canna make a decent espresso especially those pod things talk about added value 5grms of coffee for the price of 100grms.
Nespresso dropped a clanger when they didnt lock the patent down tighter
Faema even had humidity monitoring and vibration sensors to auto set the grinders. Not much fun when the beggars wound themselves right out and springs n bits disappear into the blue yonder yet again . The newer kit is blue toothed to the coffee machine .Talk about over kill for a cup of coffee
Drink Whisky then the world just becomes a pleasant blur
Well thank heaven's thats all in the past. still get the odd flash back though
Never liked working for a living or for the man
Enjoyed reading through
cheers
fcheslop
Our coffee adventure began when my wife decided to get into the Coffee Vending machine business. This was the best of time and the worst of times.
Very tough business, but it was a huge learning process, in so many areas. I suspect this is where my journey into amateur machining began. Fixing and repairing the machines was a challenge and an opportunity. The coffee making process was interesting and after the business was long gone I learned more and eventually we bought different machines in an attempt to consistently make a coffee at home like what we could enjoy at some of the best coffee houses in town. And yes I can now make a respectable espresso, or at least one which I can serve to family and friends, or least during times of non-pandemic.
In the mean time I make coffee for my wife and myself.
Have a virtual coffee on me. Jut put it to your lips and imagine the best coffee you have ever had, now enjoy..

Back