New to me Mill

Help Support HMEM:

gld

Reaction score
I finally snagged me a knee mill. Lagun FTV-1. Going to order a VFD , and a DRO next week.

The seller inherited it from his farther who bought it new. He is sure there is a manual ,but hasn't found it yet.
In the mean time I would like to move the ram, but not sure how it is locked.

I've loosened the two nuts on either side of the crank handle (red arrows) and it will not move. The ways are completely dry, So it has not moved in many years. Some way lube will be applied.
I got on Lagun's web thinking I might find date of manufacture. That web site sucks.
My serial # SE8511
All help appreciated.

ShopShoe

Reaction score
Congratualtions on a new mill. I will be looking for updates when you get the VFD and DRO working.

I was glad to hear that you have the money for those additions.

--ShopShoe

ajoeiam

Reaction score
How were you able to find such?

Here I'm really finding it difficult to find anything except from the commercial sellers and that's usually a full tariff!

Richard Hed

Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, I did have it unlocked. Just didn't have enough leverage with only one handle. I made another handle and it moves easy now.
Thanks for looking.
I had a similar problem, the ways were completely glued. I had to move it with an 8 ton jack. finally got it to move and oiled it up.

Richard Hed

Reaction score
How were you able to find such?

Here I'm really finding it difficult to find anything except from the commercial sellers and that's usually a full tariff!
There are tons of auctions in "your area". I mean that Wasshingtyon State is quite too far to transport but you are within distance of many auctions selling all kinds of good equipent. Look up auctions.

ajoeiam

Reaction score
There are tons of auctions in "your area". I mean that Wasshingtyon State is quite too far to transport but you are within distance of many auctions selling all kinds of good equipent. Look up auctions.
Tried that.
There were some goofy expectations.
Most wanted a payment bond presented before bidding was possible.
So I was expected to send them some from $5 to 15k BEFORE being allowed to bid.
(I was thinking of bidding on things like a grouping of drill bits or other cutting tools.)
Then I was going to be stuck using some rigger that charged like $3k to load a 4k# lathe.
Also had a rigger tell me that the only way that a radial arm drill could be shipped was using a double drop low bed - - - so that there would be transport clearance.
(An idiot - - - - had no idea that the drill could be dismantled into three pieces!)
Also great when it was a $200 fee for the packaging of a number of small boxes that were already on a pallet.
When this kind of malaise became clear - - - - well - - - - no more auction flyers - - - -don't have time nor the money nor the inclination to deal with greedy stupid corporations.