New to Group

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I'm recently retired with about 1 year of lathe, milling machine experience. I've always been a backyard engineer having built a few boats and more recently a generator set. I'm interested in old engines of all types and this has fueled my interest in machining and model engine construction. I've completed 2 Stirling engines over the past year and have gotten one to run, although not reliably and another is almost there. I've started another one because I've found I learn a lot by scratch starting. Then I apply what I've learned to the models I've already built. The models I'm building are from plans that were featured in HSM in 2005.

Cheers,
Phil
Lancaster, PA

Phil Welcome!!
Please take note of the upcoming shows posted in the break room.
Tin

Hi;
Just like to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Richard but will be going by the name tup48 here. I live in Northern NY, USA. I’m 60 years old and just got into machining about three years ago (did woodworking for about 40 years).

Like most newcomers to home machining I started out with a 7X12 Mini-lathe then a year later got a Mini-mill. This past June I was lucky to lay my hands onto a 1929 South Bend lathe 11" swing and 36" between centers. It may be old but it turns metal as good as the new ones do (just a little bit slower).

So far I have built two Stirling Hot Air Engines, 1 air cooled and one water cooled, 1 Two Cycle Gas Engine air cooled and 2 Four Cycle Gas Hit&Miss Gas Engines, 1 air cooled and 1 water cooled .
The last engine that I built was the Hit&Miss water cooled, it was a design as you build (that is the last time I do that). I was able to make every thing but the spark plug and points.
I hope to learn a lot here.

Tup48

Hit & Miss.JPG

Richard,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Richard !

I'm sure everyone else is saying, "Let's see a video of your creation in action !!"

Good looking engine :)

Mike

Hi Richard,

Glad to see you joined the group. Fine bunch of people here and now there's another one. Look forward to you projects and ideas.

Chuck

Welcome Richard. I think I know you from one of the other boards. When you mentioned a water cooled Stirling it rang a bell with me. Not a lot of those around. Especially in northern NY built by a guy named Richard ;) I too would love to see a video of it in action

Cheers,
Phil

Here are some pix of my last engines. I do not have any videos of them but thy all do run.

4 Cycle Webster, Hit&Miss air cooled and my design as you build Hit&Miss water cooled.

tup48

Webster.JPG

Hit & Miss.JPG

Hit&Miss2 004.JPG

Great looking engines. I like the painted features.

Cheers,
Phil

Very nice job on all those engines. Clearly a lot of quality work went into them.

Chuck

Richard, welcome aboard! It's great to have you with us!!

Richard, you're doing amazing work there. Can't wait to watch some more of it unfold. We like pictures of the work being done so we can all learn to make engines as nice as yours!

Welcome,

BW

Welcome to the frum, and you have produced some lovely engines. I am about 20 months behind you so I hope I can get to your standards by then. Seems you will have much to offer to the forum.

Back