New To CNC Programming.. Can anyone guide me

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I program Heidenhain nearly every day, both using cam and the machine control, for simple programs like drilling a few holes and the odd pocket i tend to use the machine control, for a more complex part like 3d work IE mold work id use my cam package (Delcam Powermill), the main difference programing conversational compared to using a cam package is the way the code is generated, Heidenhain will generate a circular movement from a circle centre and a x/y position, a cam package will create code with liner moves tiny lines moving around the arc/circle. You can switch the heidenhain to ISO/G code programming or to conversational.

The mach3 program has no M3 or M5 to control the spindle, so that could cause problems for a mach3 mill.

Mach3 does support M3, M4 and M5 for spindle control if you set it up. It may require a relay of contactor, but it is very simple to do.

Hi,

Yes you can shorten up the code by using G2 and G3 interpolation, I was unsure of the code in Hidenhain format so I used small linear movements in my G code, This is not how I would normally go about it on my machine.

M3 and M5 spindle control is very easy to set up, I use this on my lathe through 2 relays as well as a cnc 4 pc spindle board. I do not use this on my mill as the cnc 4 pc board requires to be wired in as an axis and I do not have one spare. I would love to do this in the near future but i would have to modify my mill controller box to 5 axis.

Yes you can configure the post processors within Desk Proto, The limitations are virtually endless.

And back to 0625272
I am having trouble getting my image that the code is produced from to upload, basicly it is a dog bone shape the code is written to contour it in 1 pass, not 3d only 2.5d as the code would have been thousands of lines long. in saying that 3d is not a problem to produce. I haven't converted from g code, I simply produced 2 different codes from my cam package using 2 different post processors. ISO G code seems to be the way of the times, why do you want to learn Heidenhain code? Do you have a machine that uses this type of controller?

And finally it is great to see just how much support is out there in regards to cnc.
The amount of Hobby users going cnc control never ceases to knock my socks off.

AAAAHHHHH" Its Sunday morning in Perth Australia and my brain hurts.

Regards Baz.

RonGinger said:
Mach3 does support M3, M4 and M5 for spindle control if you set it up. It may require a relay of contactor, but it is very simple to do.

I was just saying that there was no M3 or M5 in the posted program.

Hi,

Spindle control via mach 3 lathe is great, I just love the sound of constant surface speed particularly while parting off and threading. I tell you what I have had a few mates near on fall off their chairs watching a small hobby lathe start the spindle out of the blue, speed up to the programmed speed and engage css machine the part then slow down and switch off at the end of the file. Just like the real deal, Really looking forward to incorporating this technology into my SX3 Mill, Planning on scrapping all the SX3 control boards and fitting a VFD.

Cheers Baz.

Latest posts

Back