New shop in Florida

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

It has been 7 years since I had to put my machines in storage. The foundation for the new building will be pored Monday. I hope to have the block walls up soon after.

Tim

Lots of steel.

Tim

Forms.jpg

Hi

I used a lot of factors to size my shop. 1 of which is the amount of concrete. 14-foot 8-inch's by 24-feet with 16-inch footers used 9.95 yards of concrete. That is one truck load.

Tim

9.95 Yards.jpg

Sure is the whole 9 yds there ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Nothing like starting out from scratch!

Regards
Gordy

Of couse I meant starting out with a clean slate re design wise of your workspace!

Gordy

IIRC you do not want to go higher than 5 ft on the blocks in one day . higher puts too much pressure on the bottom layers of mortar.
tin

Hi All

The matrials showed up on Tuesday and they started laying block today. It is off to a good start. They are planning on finishing the blocks on Thursday and if we get an early inspection hope to pump the lintel Friday afternoon.

Tim

stevehuckss396 said:
When I did mine there were only 2 factors. I went as far back as the city would let me and as far south as the wife would let me.
ha ha ha ya man thats the way to do it ha ha as much as you can get away with yaaa

Wow, I like the height. Those doors are a great size.

Kenny

1Kenny said:
Wow, I like the height. Those doors are a great size.

Kenny

A friend talked me into 10-foot walls and the front door is 4-foot with a 3-foot back door. I will also have a barn roof with storage overhead.

Tim

IIRC you do not want to go higher than 5 ft on the blocks in one day . higher puts too much pressure on the bottom layers of mortar.
tin

Your kidding right??? How would you get any work done if you could only add 5 feet a day? Been doing masonry for 13 years now and have never heard of that nor seen any problems with going too high in one day. You just have to brace the walls after 8' so the wind can't blow them over. After that build to the moon!

Dale P.

Very cool!

It's great to have a space!

Regards,

Alexandre

Nice start to a good shop.,Tim.But no matter what size you build,after a couple of years you'll find you could have done with double the size ;D.
My shop is only 20x8,the back bit of a 30x20 garage,so I'm jealous of you guys being able to have a separate building.One day..........

Latest posts

Back