New (old) guy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garywmiller

Reaction score
I just finished reading through Stephan Prystanski's intro and was blown away by the help/advise he has been given. I thought I'd better let people know I'm here and open to their input on any topic in machining. My main interest since retirement has been Woodturning but my interests are expanding into model engine building, A few months ago I started building a Stuart 10V steam engine. Its now finished and it runs great. I'm now considering building a Kerzel Hit & Miss. My main concern right now is sourcing cast iron and bronze rod/bar stock. I emailed Brian Rupnow (being an Ontarian) and he has a local source in Barrie Ontario. Not much around London. I might have to order from Speedy Metals in Michigan. My shop is in the basement of our home (built in 1932) and I had quite a time getting my Oneway wood lathe (650 lbs) and my Boxford AUD MK11 metal lathe in there (dismantled both). I recently bought a mini-mill to help build my steam engine. I have a limited amount of tooling so far but enough to have built the Stuart 10V. I'll get what I absolutely need when I need it (limited budget). I see that it is recommended to post pic's of finished pieces but I'm not sure where's best; "finished" or "from castings" etc. Anyhow, howdy to everyone - glad to be here.

Gary: I'm in Woodstock and have found Metal Supermarket on Oxford St. London to be a good source of common material .For more exotic stuff go to Golden Triangle Steel in Cambridge. All the fasteners you will ever need ---- Facca Fasteners on Exeter Rd. London . It's tough to deal with U.S. suppliers right now. I have no affiliation with any of the places I have mentioned.My shop is also in the basement (built 1946) and had to take machines apart to get in but well worth the effort as there are no great temp. swings to affect the machines. Bar stock engines are much cheaper to fix mistakes on (if you make any) I know I do! Welcome to the group. Colin

Thanks Colin. The first place I checked was Metal Supermarket but they don't carry Cast Iron. Re fasteners, I'm on a "first name" basis with Facca. I designed and built an all-metal Rose Engine (Ornamental Lathe) awhile back - lots of metric fasteners involved. I agree that bar stock engines are more practical. Of course cast Iron rod/bar is included in that especially for cylinder liners etc. Thanks again for your interest and comments.

Thanks Colin. The first place I checked was Metal Supermarket but they don't carry Cast Iron. Re fasteners, I'm on a "first name" basis with Facca. I designed and built an all-metal Rose Engine (Ornamental Lathe) awhile back - lots of metric fasteners involved. I agree that bar stock engines are more practical. Of course cast Iron rod/bar is included in that especially for cylinder liners etc. Thanks again for your interest and comments.
Can you show some photos of your Rose Engine?

Ask for DuraBar - - - - its cast iron in bar form.
They should be able to get it for you.
Nice stuff to work with compared to most 'cast' iron - - - - like very consistent and no voids!

If you need Dura-bar cast iron talk to Terranova Steel in Mississauga, that's where most of the companies that sell cut to size cast iron get theirs, at least in the GTA, they do supply cut to length, various shapes and anything up to about 20 inches diameter as well as brass and bronze alloys. While I bought as a business, I've never had an issue buying a foot long piece of 1¼ round stock, you just have to pay for the courier.

Can you show some photos of your Rose Engine?
Sorry for the delay. See attached. I have done some upgrades since this pic was taken. I guess I should take some recent shots
IMG_1635.JPG

If you need Dura-bar cast iron talk to Terranova Steel in Mississauga, that's where most of the companies that sell cut to size cast iron get theirs, at least in the GTA, they do supply cut to length, various shapes and anything up to about 20 inches diameter as well as brass and bronze alloys. While I bought as a business, I've never had an issue buying a foot long piece of 1¼ round stock, you just have to pay for the courier.
Thanks! I'll get in touch with them. When this Covid thing is over we'll be going into Toronto to see our grandkids and can pick up then.

Latest posts

Back