New Mill Upgrade for Shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobs7-62steamair

Reaction score
Recently added a Grizzly GO759 mill with DRO and Longitudinal table feed to my small shop. Absolutely love the DRO and power feed of this unit. Still learning to use the DRO but it is coming along, you can teach an old dog new tricks! Only made one mistake in locating so can't use the full table travel length due to proximity of another machine bench, so now get to drill 2 additional holes in concrete floor to reposition 7 inches away from the adjacent machine bench. You can never do enough planning for any installation especially where space is limited, my shop is 12.5 x 25 ft.. The SS 4x6" box beam supports were added to get the table height up out of the stoop shoulder range.

Attachments

• DRO Mill 5-18(1).jpg
    DRO Mill 5-18(1).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 551
  • DRO MIll 5-18(2).jpg
    DRO MIll 5-18(2).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 556
  • DRO Mill Base Ext 5-18.jpg
    DRO Mill Base Ext 5-18.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 525
It's probably too late now but I'm wondering if you considered placing the mill diagonally in a corner of your shop? This was suggested by a buddy and it has been ideal to accommodate table travel. The chips stay contained for easier clean up too.

Viewed from above a mill looks like an inverted 'T' so the corner placement does optimize space.

Just a thought to share.

Looks like a good sized mill for the home shop. You should get plenty of good use out of it. It will be worth the space it takes up.

Back