Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loggerhogger

Reaction score
Greetings from the great Northwest!!! i just stumbled across this forum, and I am really excited. i hope it continues for a long time to come

I am a model steam engine builder, and I also get to play with the larger sizes as well. I have been avolunteer on the Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad for about 16 year, and have been able to asist in the restoration and matainance of their fleet of steam logging locomotives. I'm also a certified steam locomotive engineer and have had the privlige of being able to run both geared engines,(Shay, Climax, and Heisler) but rod type engines as well. I also volunteer on the Steamer "Virginia V" in Seattle and get to help keep her 1889 Tripple Expansion Engine well oiled. In September, I am going to have the privlidge of getting married on the ship.I build model engines from Castings. So far I have built Cole's ECX Popcorn Engine, the "James Coombs"engine by Stuart, A horzontal mill engine with rope drive by Tiny Power, and currently I am working on Cole's Corliss engine. have the castings for a couple of other Stuart engines, the #1 and the Tripple expansion. I also plan on inthe future building the Snow Tandem engine, and at some time I would like to build a steam launch to be possably powered by the tripple offered by Elliot Bay Steam Launch.

right now, due to a move, my shop equipment is mostly still in storage. I have a 12" Sears Atlas lathe, A Kerney & Treker Milwaukee Vertical mill, and some old flat belt driven equipment that I plan on restoring and using. that's all for now, I'm glat to be here.

Tattoo, I just bought my first digital camera the other day, and still haven't even fired it up, much less figured out how to send pictures. However, If you go to www.mrsr.com, they havea photo galery, and locomotive roster that shows all of our engines both running, and some in the process of being restored, and others that are still waiting. also another website is for the Steamer "Virginia V" www.virginiav.org shows the ship, and has a video of the tripple expansion engine at work. I think those are good web addresses, if not, do a google search, and you'll get right to it.

Found this group by accident and very glad I did!!! I'm an "Old Fa%t" and don't really have any machining experience to amount to anything. I have built and flown R/C planes and helicopters since the early 60's. Eyesight has gotten to bad for that now so I have recently revived my interest in machining by selling my Compact 5 and getting a EMCO V10-P. I also have a HF mill/drill. I still have a Unimat SL1000 that I got for Christmas in 1964. I was in the Air Force for 4 years and worked for the Civil Service for 16 years. I am now a Network Administrator at a small local hospital. (Insurance thing). My Dad was a machinist back when one motor ran everything thru a belt and pully system that ran across the ceiling and shook the whole building. I have built a "Tiny" and am in the process of getting parts together for a Horiz. Mine Engine at the suggestion of Rick. I will try and post some progress pictures.
Rick--Thanks for starting a great group!!!
Julian

Welcome once again Julian.

I'm looking forward to those progress pictures.
If you have any problems along the way we have lots of people here
who are willing to answer any questions.

Rick

Welcome :
Lot of folks here willing to help
Tin

Welcome aboard Julian, glad you found us. I see you called yourself an"Old Fa%t", I can relate to that. Don't be afraid to jump in and join the fun.
Great to have ya :)
Mel

That's a load of "Old Fa%ts" together, welcome aboard.

John

JG...
Welcome to the forum. Just dump your duffle over next to Tin Falcon's "Elvis Walking into the Sunset" on black velvet painting and make yourself at home. The nice young men in white coats will be right along to make sure you are settling in properly..... (grin)

Steve

Hi every one,
Not sure if I'm posting my introduction in the right place but here goes. I'm just north of Leicester UK. I've been model engineering for about 3 years now and mostly I've been building up the kit thats needed and making some tooling myself. All part of the learning curve, great fun isn't it. I hope to be starting on my first steam engine soon. I take loads of photos of everything I do and write some projects up into articles that have been published, some woodworking and some engineering. As I get going on my engine I might have to ask you guys for a hand if I get stuck. Any way nice to meet you all.

cheers

Welcome,
I am sure that everyone on here with turn out to help you if you need it.
Just post away and keep us informed of your progress.
How far north of Leicester?

John

Welcome firebird. We would be very please to be a part of your project. Most of these guys here are experts on small steam engines and as you have already learned, there is a bunch from your neck of the woods. (UK) We are looking forward to seeing your photos.
Mel

Welcome to HMEM firebird!

Any questions are more than welcome here.

Rick

Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like! Your input is valuable as well, so jump in here and participate in the different boards. We all would love to see what you are doing!

In a nutshell, make yourself at home. That's what this place is all about.

Firebird....
Welcome to the forum. The coffee ain't for much, but the company is usually pretty entertaining. Join in and share the fun.

Steve

Hi
thanks for the welcome, I look forward to chatting with you guys. Can I just say that if you don't hear from me or get a prompt reply it's cos I have to fit my engineering in between a wife, 3 daughters and all the usual domestic duties + a full time job so I may go missing for days sometimes a week on occasion. I would like to show you one of the tools I built, an electric hacksaw, that was published in Model Engineers Workshop and The Woodworker magazines. It's a good bit of kit that works really well and can be built for next to nothing. I need a bit of help here, how do I attach the photo?

Cheers[/img]

Latest posts

Back