Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90LX_Notch said:
(Racing is much cheaper then raising two kids.)

I'm so with you there - used to club race a '68 Alfa and a '79 Porsche 911. Now mortgage, 2 kids, renovations and about 100 unfinished projects. Miss the track...

Welcome aboard!

T70MkIII- Thanks for the welcome and I know what you mean about missing the track. Once racing gets in your blood it never leaves. I still have the car, but i pulled the engine out just to kill my desire to go to the track. I miss the satisfaction of building it and beating guys with more money and high end parts. That's why I am so interested in this hobby. It has to be very satisfing building something from raw materials and have it run.

Welcome Notch. If you look at the pictures of the wobblers (oscillators) on this board, you will see many that can be built without a mill. You may have more work with a hacksaw and file but very doable. The flywheel, cylinder and piston can all be done in a three jaw chuck if you plan your project carefully so that all the machining gets done in one setup. Doing work between centers is another option for some parts and fastening parts to a faceplate can replace a four jaw for some work.

The most important thing is to start cutting metal. No amount of instruction can replace the experience gained hands on. HTH Stan

90LX_Notch,

First, welcome to HMEM. Glad to have you aboard.

My school of thought is to start with something simple that works then move on and improve you skills and engine complexity accordingly. Nothing better than to see your first engine run, pretty or not.

There are a bunch of steam/compressed air engine plans at this website.

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm

I'd start with something like one of them.

Chuck

rake60 - Thanks for the welcome.

Stan - Thanks for the welcome. Yea, I have no problem using a hacksaw and file. I have been doing it for years. The lathe came with a three jaw and a dog drive plate. I ordered centers for it and a bunch of other tooling including dogs. I had figured that if it really came down to it I could get creative with the drive plate.

cfellows - Thanks for the welcome. Yes, starting simple and working up in complexity is the way to go. That was my approach with the Mustang and one of the reasons it ran as well as it did for what was done to it. Thanks for the link to McCabe's site. The "Runner" looks like a perfect start for me.

rleete - I looked at Nick G's oscillator, thanks. That might be a better start. I think I can scrounge up the materials from what I have lying around.

Notch: If the Atlas 618 is the little Atlas with a 6" swing I would suggest you start with metals like brass and aluminum. I had one many years ago and steel is going to be a chore until you get some experience. HTH Stan

Stan, you are correct. It is the little 6" swing Atlas. I have been playing around with it and your right, steel is a chore unless I take very small cuts.

Brass_Machine - Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome Notch

I am a newbie also that had lurked in the posts for a while.....

Best Wishes

Chuck M

speakerme- Thanks. This is a great site for newbies like us. Lots to be gained from this site and it's members.

Hi all, I just joined and am trilled because model engines is what i like to make.
I have built a Stirling twin, next have worked, forever, on a boiler in anticipation of making a few stemers. I was slowed down by learning silver soldering and precision machinig.

I have a Chinese 9x20 lathe and an X3 mills plus assorted cheap tools, which I slowly replace with something better.

Live in Austin TX, have four grandchildren and am looking forward to retirement or more precisely full time machining.

Mauro

Mauro,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hey Mauro,

Welcome to the forum. I'm particularly glad your here since I plan to retire and move to the Austin area sometime this year. I live in the Phoenix area right now and will likely move to a suburb of Austin.

Chuck

Clueless in Camano

New guy to this, figured after pounding rivets for 20 years at Boeing a new “Hide from the Bride” hobby was in order. Acquired an old Craftsman 109 some years ago and other than turning some sleeves for pressing suspension bushing for the old 70 Monte, never actually made anything. Retired last year and the “gotta do” set in. Spent a few bucks getting the old little lathe in shape, dozen or so blank bits to practice with, tool grinding 101 began. I know a hundred ways not to do that task and now full of confidence, (the bride uses the “yourself”) grabbed a copy of Steam and Sterling to find something that looked like I could handle, and so, went for it.

Picked the Three-cylinder Oscillating Steam Engine, the robustness suits me, well it took no time at all to get the idea that what looks easy enough surely isn’t. Perhaps a two cylinder model? ah No. Down to a single version, at least with the stone axe and flint knives I have in the barn I can hack out some pieces.

After more hours than I care to admit ended up with some sort of engine. Crank is a one piece and that was fun. Yup it’s a going ‘round and a cutting little by little, oh shinny things. Only had to make two of em. Something about measure once cut twice, ah who remembers such things, cylinder also a one piece to which a pot of coffee was downed prior to beginning so the brain could keep in order measure twice and cut once, knew I heard that from somewhere.

Actually surprised it rotates at all, the mass of the flywheel is less that the piston/cylinder but she do go round.

Don’t know what will be next, thinking some type of finger engine, something that can be tinkered with on the table without extraneous equipment. As it is too cold in the barn to spend more than a few minutes before the hands go purple, sitting at the computer conveniently located close to the wood burner occupies some time, if only I can convince the bride to the notion that every living room needs a lathe in it.

wobbler.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrZeURNhZA[/ame]

Back