Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.A.G.

Reaction score
Hello , ,

My Name is David , I am long in the tooth and short on wisdom .

I have heard that this forum has a wealth of knowledgeable and experienced members in the modelling fraternity, so I intend to put that to the test .

Hope you will play nicely with me ,

Regards to all

David .

Welcome to the insanity David! Once you start, you can’t very easily get out!!!

Lots of REALLY talented folks here with tons of advice, so don’t be afraid to ask!

Let us know where you’re from and what you’re interested in.

John W

Hello David, and welcome aboard! There are, indeed some very knowledgeable people here (wish I was one!) and some just like yourself. When looking at replies, do use your own judgement.

I was never apprenticed, but had good craftsmen around me. I ended up doing F1 and M.O.D work, then teaching machine work at a university! Not knowing what you can't do has helped me through my career; ignoring people who say "I was always told" without explaining why, led me to this approach to good practice...

In order of priority,

1) If you don't get hurt
2) If the machine doesn't get hurt
3) If the job gets done

Then I don't need to worry about what text book practice is. I'm in my 50s now, with both eyes and all my fingers, and it ain't a fluke.

In your part of the world, there's bound to be a nearby M.E. nut (and we're generally nuts) who you can probably garner advice from in person. Another worthwhile group is HMEM. What equipment do you have, and what would you like to make?

-Andrew UK

Hello David, and welcome aboard! There are, indeed some very knowledgeable people here (wish I was one!) and some just like yourself. When looking at replies, do use your own judgement.

I was never apprenticed, but had good craftsmen around me. I ended up doing F1 and M.O.D work, then teaching machine work at a university! Not knowing what you can't do has helped me through my career; ignoring people who say "I was always told" without explaining why, led me to this approach to good practice...

In order of priority,

1) If you don't get hurt
2) If the machine doesn't get hurt
3) If the job gets done

Then I don't need to worry about what text book practice is. I'm in my 50s now, with both eyes and all my fingers, and it ain't a fluke.

In your part of the world, there's bound to be a nearby M.E. nut (and we're generally nuts) who you can probably garner advice from in person. Another worthwhile group is HMEM. What equipment do you have, and what would you like to make?

-Andrew UK
Andrew , thank you ,

All is explained in General Engine discussion, hope that clears matters ?

But thanks for the welcome! .

David

Hello David. I hope you'll enjoy corresponding with us. When we get it wrong, tell us so we can improve. (LOADS of folk tell me I am wrong, so just join in! One day I hope to be right!).
You'll get used to me. Long winded, and interfere where I know nowt!
K2 😉

Back