Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I´m Peter. I live in Istria and fortunately brought a lot of kit with me when I came here. It was just as well as, apart from the shipyards down in Pula, there isn't much industry here and consequently little access to the sources of materials that I was used to.
One thing that I am stumped for is drawings, or at least pictures of a similar milling machine vice that I need to make. The castings came from College Engineering (CES) 30 years ago and are nicely matured ! CES no longer do them. I've emailed someone on eBay who apparently did castings for CES but haven't heard back yet.
Has anyone made one or could point me in the right direction please ?View attachment 125527View attachment 125528View attachment 125529
Welcome to group.
The casting are hard to come by . Drawings you wing it.

Dave

Peter

What about an advert om Home Workshop.co. UJK?.
It is the advert site of the son of the late John Stevenson MBE ? Moror Bike Engineer_

I answered a weird ad for information on a bloke's compass and inclinometer which probably used by the Royal Observer Corps when the South Coast radar sttations were knocked out by Stukas in the battle of Britain. I worked out the trig and calulated on the possible wings[an as a side of a triangle on a He111K bomber/:)

Believe me, there are a lot of ild farts who can recall far more thi ngs like vices.

Now then Stubbs Gazette from the Olden Days will have lots of things like debts and b ankrupcies and liquidations. Where? Betcha Ken walked past it on the way to RAF Hendon.

The Magazine section of the British Library in Aerodrome Road in Colindale NW9.

ETC

Norman

I have been checking magazines, as I have a lot of them digitally. My MEWs only go up to 163 but I doubt they would have featured making one after that. The heyday of these things was 80s and 90s. ME and EIM are unlikely. HSM wouldn't have done something using British castings.
The best thing I've see so far was something showing how the Kurt AngleLock vices work.
I've put something on HomeWorkshop. We´ll see if that yields anything.
Cheers

I feel a bit of caution as I read this thread - searching on the internet for "vice plans" could have unintended consequences ... ! :)

Well Yes but I cannot see why a 70+ gentleman living in Istria and trading as 'property business' for the last 20+ years is so intrsted in a very modestly priced casting.
I suppose that we all have have our lie vices:)

Yes, I am an estate agent here in Istria and have been a model engineer for the last 30 odd. I even got an award one year at the Model Engineer Exhibition for my adjustable faceplate. The castings I have had for a similar period and the time has come to make the vice from them. The castings have not been available on the market for several years and I haven't seen anything similar on offer elsewhere. I will be 74 in the morning !

I got sort of intersted. Way back, there was a man with a harelip with Josip Broz( Tito)
And then 51 years ago, a Roman galley was discovered at 2 decompressions off MMjlet, Perhaps St Pauls and obviosly not Malta!
Then exackly 50 years on Sunday past, a Russian built airlimer came into KRK Ryeka - and most passengers were burnt upside down in the thunderstorm.
Nothing o do with Model Engineering- just that all the bits mentioned 'link'
Of course, the Yalta Conference sort of comes in too:)

My Father-in-law was Deputy Transport Minister with responsibility mostly for the Danube in Tito´ś government. (I married a Zagreb lawyer, which is what brought me down here). I didn't know about the plane. I don't know about Yalta. Tito was adept at keeping Russian troops out of Jugoslavia. We were never occupied by the Russians

Hello Peter
From the pictures your casting look very similar to the vices I used at my previous workplace.
If you are interested I can try and make drawings for it. Unfortunately I moved recently and I don't have a PC with me, but I enjoy hand drafting so it will not be a big issue (just a little longer in the making)
Riccardo

Hello Peter
From the pictures your casting look very similar to the vices I used at my previous workplace.
If you are interested I can try and make drawings for it. Unfortunately I moved recently and I don't have a PC with me, but I enjoy hand drafting so it will not be a big issue (just a little longer in the making)
Riccardo
Thank you for the very kind offer Riccardo. I have now obtained a set of original drawings.
Best regards
Peter

Back