New Member looking for advice, DC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmartin

Reaction score
All,

My name is Henry and I have recently become interested in building model engines as a hobby. I live in an apartment in DC and have found it very difficult to find an activity that encompasses my interests in mechanics and physics, but also can done in my room. I work for a small commercial aerospace firm and thus am tantalized by the beauty of rocket engines daily.

I am simply looking for some guidance, expertise, advice on whether something like model engine building is feasible under my current circumstances. Access to machining equipment does not seem available, and I also just graduated from college, so I can't embark on a large financial endeavor. What I do have access to is a power drill, my basic tool set, the internet, and a friendly relationship with some people at the hardware store. I'm pretty handy when it comes to power equipment thanks to experience in the physics lab and the shop at our farm back home.

There you have it. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry

Is there a makerspace close to where you live?

A makerspace is kind of like a gym membership for tinkerers. For a set monthly fee, you have access to tools to make whatever you want.

They usually have plenty of equipment for model engineering, and other members are usually willing to impart their knowledge (there are always jerks in the world though.)

Here in Indianapolis, membership costs about $60 per month, but it depends on the "level" of subscription. The more expensive the subscription, the more access you have to higher end equipment.

Disclosure: I toured the Indy makerspace, but I didn't join because I was specifically looking for foundry and casting equipment, which they didn't have. But they had plenty of equipment to make small engines and electronics.

I did a quick Google search and found the following in the DC area:

Techshop, DC Arlington
HacDC
Nova Labs
Greenbelt Makerspace

I hope this helps.

...Ved.

Hello Henry,

Welcome to the group. I think you'll enjoy the people here as they are good to help.

I would say building model engines is feasible in your situation. You can do a lot with the lathes and milling machines built by Sherline and by Taig. They are small, but very adequate for the smaller model engines, both steam and spark ignited. I believe several people on this forum have built model engines that can easily be machined on Sherline and Taig size machines.

Where is the "farm back home". I grew up on a farm in Kansas.

Regards,

Chuck

I am simply looking for some guidance, expertise, advice on whether something like model engine building is feasible under my current circumstances.
Yes it can be done.
here are some examples with people with small shops. The trick is to think big but machine small.
http://www.sherline.com/shops.htm
There are basically two ways of approaching the situation you have. 1 set up a small shop in the corner of the space you have. ie a closet or corner of a bedroom or kitchen etc. 2 set up a portable shop you need imho 3 boxes a tool box for tools and parts work in progress etc. A box to house a small lathe and accessories. and a box to house a mill and accessories. When not in use hide the boxes out of the way.

I also just graduated from college, so I can't embark on a large financial endeavor.
So you need to be a bit creative in shopping.
An HF tool box will run you about $ 80 and digital calipers $10-15.

As far as lathes and mills you just need to look look look
Unimat 3 lathe ebay
Good luck
Tin

The makerspace thing is certainly another option looks like memberships in you area about $100 -$150 a month.
So do you budget 12-18 hundred for a shop or a years memberships Hmmm choices.
Tin

Hi, Henri. I live in the DC area, I will be really interested if you find something of this in the area. I think that something like the Sherline lathes and mills will not be a problem in an apartment.

Hi Henry.

Welcome from faraway Singapore. I live in a flat too. And space for a machine is a three open sided balcony. Fortunately the Awning Roof keeps the rain away. I have a mini lathe,mini mill and 1/2'' Bench Drill and 8'' Bench Grinder. Tool Box was initially a Fishing Tackle Box that died of old age.

Back