New member / Identify unknown lathe part

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegan Boddy

Reaction score
Hello from South Africa

I joined HMEM a while back but I think this is my first post. I am 41 years old and have not yet built anything except a few small items for school projects. I was in a technical high school and took Fitting and Turning as my trade subject. I have been collecting books of model engineering for about 15 years in the hopes of one day acquiring a lathe. I acquired a 1948/9 Myford ML7 about 2 years back. It's in pieces at the moment. I also recently purchased my first home and now have a small workshop. My lathe bed had about an inch cut out to increase the gap and the back gear has some broken / repaired teeth. The other day my cousin purchased (on auction) another lathe bed with a new looking back gear and it appears the lathe bed might be in better shape than my original. NOW! Along with the bed came another tail stock :) and an unidentifiable part and I was hoping that someone might be able to identify it for me. This is the only photo I have at the moment. I'm impatiently waiting for my cousin to deliver the parts but that might be a few weeks to a month or more from now.

Thank you for any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG-20220504-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220504-WA0004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 296
That would be a left hand oscillation device mainly used in the western area of zigzag land to correct right hand mistakes wonderful bit of gear

Hello from South Africa

I joined HMEM a while back but I think this is my first post. I am 41 years old and have not yet built anything except a few small items for school projects. I was in a technical high school and took Fitting and Turning as my trade subject. I have been collecting books of model engineering for about 15 years in the hopes of one day acquiring a lathe. I acquired a 1948/9 Myford ML7 about 2 years back. It's in pieces at the moment. I also recently purchased my first home and now have a small workshop. My lathe bed had about an inch cut out to increase the gap and the back gear has some broken / repaired teeth. The other day my cousin purchased (on auction) another lathe bed with a new looking back gear and it appears the lathe bed might be in better shape than my original. NOW! Along with the bed came another tail stock :) and an unidentifiable part and I was hoping that someone might be able to identify it for me. This is the only photo I have at the moment. I'm impatiently waiting for my cousin to deliver the parts but that might be a few weeks to a month or more from now.

Thank you for any feedback.
That looks like a tailstock, and I would say the handle looks like either the tailstock actuating crank handle, or is the handle for the cross feed on the main carriage. It appears to me, just with the one pic, that it is a jewelers or watchmaker's lathe. They often used round lathe beds, rather like mounting everything on a length of round rod. Hope you can post more pics as you get the rest of the parts.

Here's a link to more information about the Mford lathe then most people would want . It could be a tailstock part if we can find a pic on the back side of the lathe .
Myford ML7 Lathe
animal

I agree with JEC it is from a Myford ML8 which is a wood turning lathe that has a host of attachments available for woodworking. I had one and have now passed it onto my daughter.

Since Keegan is in South Africa there should be some Myford lathes around left over from the days of Empire.

Best Regards

B

Latest posts

Back