New member from the uk

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooksservices

Reaction score
Hi, i am a 30 year old motorcycle technician from the UK.
Whilst on holiday and spending some time bobbing around on an inflatable i came up with the idea that i would like to have a go at building a running engine from scratch. I imagined i probably had most of the materials i would need already. The engine was somewhat designed around the sizes of material that i had, i say designed but it was a few rough sketched out drawings so that i could picture slightly better what i would be making.
The engine was made completely on my myford ml7.

Since making the engine and researching different aspects of the machining processes i have found a lot more of projects i would like to try. some sort of twin is next on the cards, preferably something with a simple points ignition system.

View media item 1591View media item 1596View media item 1592View media item 1598

Does it run well? Would be great to see a video.
Barrie

Hey thanks for your replies, yes it runs ok. I’d say not bad considering how little planning went into building it. I know I could do with having another go at a cam shaft for it as the valves don’t quite have any overlap. Here’s a video after I had a go at making a carburettor. I think the bore of the carburettor might be slightly too big. I am quite pleased so far though.

I would say it runs better than ok I like it. Thanks for sharing

Thank you very much, since building it i have spent a lot of time on here looking at other peoples engines and feeling very envious at the skills that you guys have. Im very keen so have a go at some sort of twin, maybe something like the hoglet. Id like something that really sounds nice. Mine seems to have a very quiet exhaust note possibly due to the cam shaft.

Hey thanks for your replies, yes it runs ok. I’d say not bad considering how little planning went into building it. I know I could do with having another go at a cam shaft for it as the valves don’t quite have any overlap. Here’s a video after I had a go at making a carburettor. I think the bore of the carburettor might be slightly too big. I am quite pleased so far though.

Very nice revs nice and sounds great. Hold your head up.

nice build welcome aboard im an old triumph bsa fan. rebuilt a few in my days working on a aerial square 4 hard to find parts these days!!!!

Well Done ! The silencer looks like the old BSA Gold Star silencer. It sounds like one as well, when you close the throttle. Brilliant.
Jack

Hey thanks for all your reply’s, it’s been totally stripped down today to check for wear and do a little tuning. I have now made a new cam shaft with separate cams held In place with locktite and an adjustable cam sprocket so I can tinker with the performance/ exhaust note. The piston ring has almost totally been run in now with just a small dark area to go and we will be up to full compression. Here is a picture of all the parts laid out and the new cam. I have also put in an o ring groove into the cam gear mount for if I’d like to run something with it in the future.

I had been reading through around 18 pages of a knucklehead build in ore of the work being produced so to be able to look at the plans will definitely give me some ideas for my next engine. This if becoming seriously addictive, I can’t leave this one alone!
6EF94E04-D2EB-4C30-A7CC-BCD959DFD984.jpeg
003F9B3F-6805-4193-8263-708D2F8405A0.jpeg
9157A647-4F72-4FB4-B684-4E6B1F097135.jpeg
580DD9E3-653E-404E-B33A-14167807BEEE.jpeg

Hey thanks for all your reply’s, it’s been totally stripped down today to check for wear and do a little tuning. I have now made a new cam shaft with separate cams held In place with locktite and an adjustable cam sprocket so I can tinker with the performance/ exhaust note. The piston ring has almost totally been run in now with just a small dark area to go and we will be up to full compression. Here is a picture of all the parts laid out and the new cam. I have also put in an o ring groove into the cam gear mount for if I’d like to run something with it in the future.

I had been reading through around 18 pages of a knucklehead build in ore of the work being produced so to be able to look at the plans will definitely give me some ideas for my next engine. This if becoming seriously addictive, I can’t leave this one alone!

It looks god Pal, well Done.
I was wondering if anybody had ever made cams using a file and a filing rest, in the lathe. The way I see it is: Fit the camshaft in the chuck, then turn the cam lobes to maximum diameter. Now, using a filing rest, file the profile on the cams.
I do use Autocad, so I can easily print out an indexing scale which I stick to the circumference of the chuck. This is printed in degrees.
Now. all that needs doing is to rotate the chuck, file the cam to size, at that point, and repeat A/R all the way round.
Jack

Latest posts

Back