New Member from São Paulo, Brazil

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agmachado

Reaction score
Hello, guys!!!

First, I believe that join this community is a great privilege!

I am a systems analyst and I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The few time I have studied about the art of building small things, especially internal combustion engines. When I found this site, I was very impressed with the degree of insight has been achieved, which made me even more enthusiastic to start building too.

Here in Brazil, things are relatively complicated. There are no factories of small lathes or milling machines. We have to import from the U.S. or Europe and we are practically stolen by the government with 60% tax.

Fortunately, I found the site Sherline, where prices (plus the taxes) will be reasonable for my start. The Sherline Ultimate Machine Shop package, containing a turn model 5400, a mill model 2000 and a few accessories will cost me about $ 7000, more than double the value in the United States.

I also checked the possibility of buying used machines, but they are great and I have no space at home. I live in an apartment and the Sherline machines will be complicated because of the noise.

Even as a systems analyst with 35 years of age, have skills with tools, my father always worked with mounts and I studied auto mechanics when younger. Build a small engine has always been among my ideas.

I completed my collection of Model Engine Builder magazine and now I want to buy issues of Strictly I. C. for collection too. Very cool these magazines. Do you recommend any other magazine interesting?

Initially I plan to find a plans to build and develop the machining techniques and after complete my own drawings for start its construction.

As a systems analyst, have ease of working with CAD/CAM software and I am designing a V6 engine, with cylinders of 13mm diameter by 13mm stroke. Soon, I'll post some drawings.

My native language is Portuguese and my English is not very good, I apologize for any possible errors. I'm studying to improve.

Best Regards,

Alexandre Machado
São Paulo/SP - Brazil

wEc1 Alexandre.

A V6 is an ambitious project and it will take some time. Perhaps also knock off a couple of small steam engines in the meanwhile? Post pictures, many pictures of your builds or plans.

PS. Are you familiar with Luis Ally from Brazil? I think he is in Sao Paolo (I know, big place :D ). Search for his channel on Youtube. he goes by "tryally"

take care,

tom in MA

Hi Tom,

Yes, He is my friend. He lives in Bauru... about 350km from Sao Paulo. We stayed in the same state.

This V6 is for the future. I have a lot to learn yet ... but we must have some purpose, right?

While I draw parts for the V6, I feel the need to build some parts to test some concepts and ideas. You understand? It is difficult to advance the drawings without test some ideas, so I stopped drawing and making possible the purchase of machinery.

Take care too,

Alexandre Machado
São Paulo/SP - Brazil

Welcome Alexandre,

If you go with the Sherline equipment I think you will be pleased as long as you understand their size limitations. I have been using them for 12+ years and if they ever do wear out I would replace them with the same thing again. You can find all kinds of help here whenever you need it so jump right in.

Best wishes,

BIll

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your information.

I checked Proxxon and Warco machines... are very cool, but are very expensive for me, here in Brazil. Maybe in the future or not, Sherline machines are very cool too and less expensive ! ;)

Best regards,

Alexandre Machado

Yes Admiral,

I also have read these sites.

Thank you!

Alexandre Machado

Alexandre,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Alexandre! :)

Glad your here!

And your english is fine.... ;D :big:

Dave

Welcome to the group, Alexandre. Your English is very good.

You'll enjoy the Sherline machines as they do a nice job. I have a Sherline lathe that is a nice compliment to my 13 inch Sheldon lathe and every bit as accurate.

I used to travel to Sao Paulo, 20 years back, to visit Metal Leve. They made pistons for our company. I always enjoyed my time in Brasil.

Regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I know the Metal Leve, great company! In the past I bought many pustons for repairing vehicles.

When younger I studied auto mechanics and repairing the cars of my Father, In parallel I studied data processing and I followed this profession. Now, I'm a systems analyst at a large construction company (www.odebrecht.com).

The idea of building miniature engines appeared in the school of auto mechanics, about year of 1990, but then everything was more complicated than today and no internet. In Brazil we had serious problems to import stuff, etc.. Today the problems are the high taxes.

I'm anxious to start working on some construction.

Best Regards,

Alexandre

Alexandre :
welcome to the forum . I started this thread for those getting started http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9413.0 lots of info and links to plans etc.
the Sherline tools are a great choice for an apartment. I have seen nice setups where people have built a cabinet for there lathe and tooling and another for the mill with tooling. You can end up with a very portable functional shop. If you are concerned about noise issues make the boxes a few inches larger than needed and add an egg crate foam or Mylar coated foam lining to the boxes this will absorb noise. I used to work in a boat yard the engine room bulkheads had about 30mm foam with Mylar to reflect heat and reduce noise in the cabin areas. the coated foam will be easier to keep clean from oil and chips. something like this http://www.soundtechco.com/composite-barriers/composite-barriers-products/aluminized-foam-with-barrier/
the shiny surface will help with lighting as well and knock down shadows.
Hope this helps
Tin

Hello guys!!

Is there more people from Brazil or South America in this Community ?

I have a theory...

Here in Brazil, the hobby of the people are beer, and more beer, and carnival, and samba (find this in YouToube or Google), and beach (in cities of the coast).

Maybe the tropical climate favors, but at Florida or at South of California is also hot, right?

Even in Brazil, many states in the south and southeast are very cold.

The culture of building things may have appeared as an alternative to occupy the time of people... is it possible?

Do you all agree ?

I like a beer and beach sometimes, but I do not like samba and carnival... I prefer the good and old rock'n'roll, besides playing drums in my rock band. ;D

Take care all,

Alexandre

Latest posts

Back