New member from Northern California east bay area

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Traeger

Reaction score
My name is Jeff Traeger. I live in the San Francisco East Bay Area. I am a woodworker and novice metal worker. I enjoy restoring machinery. I’m currently about to start the restoration of an Atlas/Craftsman 12” lathe on the original cabinet. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, I have to sell my Logan 820 that I restored about 15 years ago. Assuming it is proper I will post an ad for the Logan soon.
I’m interested in getting in to building small model engines, something that can be done principally on a lathe, although my new lathe has a small milling attachment. Are there any you tube videos anyone would recommend? I’ve watched a lot of Mr. Pete’s videos on general Metal machining techniques as well as one on building a small engine.

Hi Jeff, welcome aboard. I really like "This Old Tony" and "Tom's Techniques" on you tube but there are quite a lot out there. Cheers, Peter.

Can you keep the Logan and flip the Atlas? IMHO, the Logan is twice the lathe as an Atlas. An Atlas is closer to a lathe-shaped object. They have all the rigidity of a wet noodle and the Zamac parts are weak. The Logan has V ways which are somewhat-self compensating for wear. That is, as the ways wear down, the carriage remains well guided. The Atlas has square ways. When they wear, they just become loose and floppy. The wear is inevitably uneven and concentrated near the chuck, so if you tighten the gibs to get rid of the looseness near the chuck, the carriage is too tight in less-worn areas.

Thanks for the input. I was favoring restoring and keeping the Atlas/Craftsman and selling the Logan for two reasons, none related to performance. First, although the Atlas is larger, it actually takes up less space mainly because the motor and pulleys are below in the cabinet whereas the Logan's pulleys and motor are behind the head. Second, the the Atlas has a little milling attachment and x-y table. I sold my 42" mill when I had to down-size my shop and I was hoping that I could do some small/simple milling operation on the Atlas.

Could you expand on your "wet noodle" comment? I'm going to show my ignorance - what are "zmac parts". Just by size and weight the Atlas 12" cross slide and compound are beefier than the Logan 10". I understand the V way issue and was concerned about that, but rationalized that for hobby shop applications I'd be OK.

Zamac is die-cast zinc. Atlas Zamak Components. I know the cited page says 6inch, but Atlas used Zamac parts on the bigger models.

The wet noodle aspect is that the Atlas beds typically are very narrow and shallow relative to their length. Thus, they are bendy.

I have run Logans and Atlases, and I would be frustrated if I had to use an Atlas. It all depends on what you are trying to machine, to what level of accuracy and precision, and your ability to understand the machine's shortcomings and compensate accordingly.

My name is Jeff Traeger. I live in the San Francisco East Bay Area. I am a woodworker and novice metal worker. I enjoy restoring machinery. I’m currently about to start the restoration of an Atlas/Craftsman 12” lathe on the original cabinet. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, I have to sell my Logan 820 that I restored about 15 years ago. Assuming it is proper I will post an ad for the Logan soon.
I’m interested in getting in to building small model engines, something that can be done principally on a lathe, although my new lathe has a small milling attachment. Are there any you tube videos anyone would recommend? I’ve watched a lot of Mr. Pete’s videos on general Metal machining techniques as well as one on building a small engine.
Jeff,
I'm in Pleasanton. I just upgraded from a Logan 816 lathe to a Graziano 12S. It seems I buy more tools than make stuff, but hopefully that will change in the not-too-distant future.

Tend to agree with the Logan being superior to the Atlas, but either can be used to make cool stuff.

Welcome!

Regards,
Evan

OK, you've got me scratching my head a little - I doing the right thing. I measured the ways on the Atlas and the Logan and the Atlas is narrower. So are you saying they are more prone to warping/twisting or does it relate to the stability of the carriage? BTW, I appreciate your input.

OK, you've got me scratching my head a little - I doing the right thing. I measured the ways on the Atlas and the Logan and the Atlas is narrower. So are you saying they are more prone to warping/twisting or does it relate to the stability of the carriage? BTW, I appreciate your input.
Jeff,
I'm also a newbie, so I'll defer to folks on here a lot more knowledgeable than me, but I'll share my limited experience.

I wanted a decent hobbyist lathe. The Atlas, Logan, Powercraft, etc. seemed to meet the bill. I, too, was a woodworker hobbyist and wanted machines on casters so I could reconfigure my shop, which drove me to look at the smaller machines. I wasn't ready to make the commitment to a bigger lathe that would take up permanent residence in a location.

I looked at a few Atlas lathes and almost bought one of the 12x36 models, but came across the smaller 10x31 Logan 816 and was first in line with a pocket full of cash. The reason I preferred the Logan was the ways are trapezoidal rather than flat--sturdier and more precise. I think the Logan is a bit beefier as well. The true deciding factor though was the Logan was a retired (and expired) machinist's personal hobby lathe and fairly well tooled. It was operational, and though a bit dirty with traces of mice, I could tell it had been well cared-for and thus had hope that it wasn't totally clapped out.

The Logan has been a great lathe for me to learn on, and it's still a better lathe than I am a machinist, but I got the itch for a toolroom lathe, was willing to make the commitment to machining to place it permanently, found the Graz, and now will be looking for a home for the Logan once the Graz is dialed in.

Evan

I looked at the Graz on line and boy, that looks like a big step forward. Aesthetically, which should not enter the picture, I like the look of the older lathes, but then I'm partial to "old iron" having restored many pre-1960's woodworking machines over the last 20 years.

Thanks for the input. I was favoring restoring and keeping the Atlas/Craftsman and selling the Logan for two reasons, none related to performance. First, although the Atlas is larger, it actually takes up less space mainly because the motor and pulleys are below in the cabinet whereas the Logan's pulleys and motor are behind the head. Second, the the Atlas has a little milling attachment and x-y table. I sold my 42" mill when I had to down-size my shop and I was hoping that I could do some small/simple milling operation on the Atlas.

Could you expand on your "wet noodle" comment? I'm going to show my ignorance - what are "zmac parts". Just by size and weight the Atlas 12" cross slide and compound are beefier than the Logan 10". I understand the V way issue and was concerned about that, but rationalized that for hobby shop applications I'd be OK.

As an Atlas lathe owner, I take exception to the term “wet noodle” used to describe a lathe I have had for 50 years. It has served me well. The accuracy is far better then I will ever need. Is it a LeBlonde? Which I’ve worked on. No, it’s not a tool room lathe? No, it’s all relative, to what you want to do. Here in this photo, I’m turning a piece of ”paired” down railroad tie down steel. I like to use pieces of steel I find hiking. I’m making a Tilt Body Indexer. It will test the limits of the Atlas, but as with making anything. Common sense comes into play.

Attachments

• A44AAA0A-658A-48F9-9F1D-8D527EB67BD4.jpeg
    A44AAA0A-658A-48F9-9F1D-8D527EB67BD4.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 224A161D-C80B-443A-86BE-B874E08E276C.jpeg
    224A161D-C80B-443A-86BE-B874E08E276C.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 3E1E8387-98BC-40D5-8D07-91255A506346.jpeg
    3E1E8387-98BC-40D5-8D07-91255A506346.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 254
Welcome to group
I hope to see a few pics of your shop.

Dave

Jeff,
I'm also a newbie, so I'll defer to folks on here a lot more knowledgeable than me, but I'll share my limited experience.

I wanted a decent hobbyist lathe. The Atlas, Logan, Powercraft, etc. seemed to meet the bill. I, too, was a woodworker hobbyist and wanted machines on casters so I could reconfigure my shop, which drove me to look at the smaller machines. I wasn't ready to make the commitment to a bigger lathe that would take up permanent residence in a location.

I looked at a few Atlas lathes and almost bought one of the 12x36 models, but came across the smaller 10x31 Logan 816 and was first in line with a pocket full of cash. The reason I preferred the Logan was the ways are trapezoidal rather than flat--sturdier and more precise. I think the Logan is a bit beefier as well. The true deciding factor though was the Logan was a retired (and expired) machinist's personal hobby lathe and fairly well tooled. It was operational, and though a bit dirty with traces of mice, I could tell it had been well cared-for and thus had hope that it wasn't totally clapped out.

The Logan has been a great lathe for me to learn on, and it's still a better lathe than I am a machinist, but I got the itch for a toolroom lathe, was willing to make the commitment to machining to place it permanently, found the Graz, and now will be looking for a home for the Logan once the Graz is dialed in.

Evan
Where do you live? Do you have a photo of the Logan? How much?

Hi Jeff, welcome aboard. I really like "This Old Tony" and "Tom's Techniques" on you tube but there are quite a lot out there. Cheers, Peter.
I put in a vote for Keith Appleton's videos - understated, full of useful information, and quietly charming.

One other consideration.... Logan Actuator Company (Logan Actuator Co - Online Store) is still supplying parts for some (don't know how many) of its lathes. That is pretty amazing given that so many of the American tool companies have gone bankrupt or have moved purely to CNC. So, having a source for parts, even if expensive, it s big consideration IMHO.

Just wonder how long Logan keep making parts. I hope they at less make castings for ever.

It like South Bend Lathe they were making parts till Grizzly took over the name.

Dave

One other consideration.... Logan Actuator Company (Logan Actuator Co - Online Store) is still supplying parts for some (don't know how many) of its lathes. That is pretty amazing given that so many of the American tool companies have gone bankrupt or have moved purely to CNC. So, having a source for parts, even if expensive, it s big consideration IMHO.

Well, I think Scott Logan took over the parts business. I am pretty sure he only does that and doesn't make any lathes. I am not even sure he is associated with the company that made the lathes. I think his father, or something like that, started the company and it was eventually sold. That entity went out of business and Scott decided to pursue his familial interest by supporting the parts fabrication. But, I may have that totally wrong. It has been ages since I read anything about that, and the website 'About Us' doesn't have anything of historical interest.

I would probably consider Logan Actuator to be a boutique company that services the hobby interests of people. I'm not sure how profitable a company like the original Logan lathe company could be. I mean, Bridgeport was bought by Hardinge, and then even Hardinge had issues. Let's be realistic.... Hardinge has a much better name than Logan (which isn't bad, but between the two I doubt there is anyone that would argue a Hardinge is a better accepted lathe light toolroom lathe), and even Hardinge/Bridgeport has had problems.

So, a boutique company, is probably the way to go.... Keep the operation very small, service an equally small segment of users by producing your parts on a shoe-string... And do it all because it is what you love doing. It wouldn't be the first company that found success in that approach. But it also isn't the type of operation that survives a death of the owner and such, unless the heir(s) share a similar passion. So, yeah, the question of how long Logan Actuator will be in business is very real. Of course, the flip side is that people have been able to acquire parts more recently than for, say, many South Bend lathes; as such, it might be reasonable to say that there are fewer lathes that require the limited supply of parts. Who knows....

Scott Logan has been Yahoo groups that was on.
One thing I agree with Scott Logan is on metric threading gears is use 37/47 does just good as 127 tooth gear.
Where disagree is buying new parts or repairing.

Dave

Well, I think Scott Logan took over the parts business. I am pretty sure he only does that and doesn't make any lathes. I am not even sure he is associated with the company that made the lathes. I think his father, or something like that, started the company and it was eventually sold. That entity went out of business and Scott decided to pursue his familial interest by supporting the parts fabrication. But, I may have that totally wrong. It has been ages since I read anything about that, and the website 'About Us' doesn't have anything of historical interest.

I would probably consider Logan Actuator to be a boutique company that services the hobby interests of people. I'm not sure how profitable a company like the original Logan lathe company could be. I mean, Bridgeport was bought by Hardinge, and then even Hardinge had issues. Let's be realistic.... Hardinge has a much better name than Logan (which isn't bad, but between the two I doubt there is anyone that would argue a Hardinge is a better accepted lathe light toolroom lathe), and even Hardinge/Bridgeport has had problems.

So, a boutique company, is probably the way to go.... Keep the operation very small, service an equally small segment of users by producing your parts on a shoe-string... And do it all because it is what you love doing. It wouldn't be the first company that found success in that approach. But it also isn't the type of operation that survives a death of the owner and such, unless the heir(s) share a similar passion. So, yeah, the question of how long Logan Actuator will be in business is very real. Of course, the flip side is that people have been able to acquire parts more recently than for, say, many South Bend lathes; as such, it might be reasonable to say that there are fewer lathes that require the limited supply of parts. Who knows....

I think Scott Logan is the grandson of the original Loan Lathe Company's founder. As someone said, they only make replacement parts, no complete lathes. Scott has been peddling Logan parts for 15 years that I know of and possibly longer. If he's made it this long, he probably here to stay. They are a nice outfit to do business with.

Latest posts

Back