New member from Northern California east bay area

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first new him about 20 years ago on Yahoo groups.

I have never did any business with him as I own South Bend Lathes. If I remember right he took over the parts for the lathes. The other family members did the other parts of company.

I would hope some day he restart the lathe product. Again a American Lathe.

If you all small parts making the bed is just small step.

The Logan Lathes are well made lathe compared to over seas lathes. The over sea lathes keep getting worst. Now most small Lathes do not have tooling or back gears.

Dave

I think Scott Logan is the grandson of the original Loan Lathe Company's founder. As someone said, they only make replacement parts, no complete lathes. Scott has been peddling Logan parts for 15 years that I know of and possibly longer. If he's made it this long, he probably here to stay. They are a nice outfit to do business with.

Bay Area folks should also join Bay Area Engine Modelers Club, we should be resuming monthly meetings as soon as the virus is under control, and then you get to have face-to-face talks with other newbies and old-timers on any and all topics.

For machine tools it all depends on what you are making, for model engine parts I only have a 200 lb bench top lathe that I still haven't outgrown in 25 years. On the other hand for a bench top mill I'm planning on upgrading to the nearly 400 lb mill from LittleMachineShop, since my current one has a wimpy round vertical column that isn't adequate on multiple accounts. For me "bench top" means indoors, rather than out in the uncooled & unheated garage that becomes unbearable all too often in the south bay.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you soon.

I insulated my garage and add cooling.
But my got new car so now I am building and moving to storage building and have insulated it too.
The lathe I have is 700 pounds I just put on wheels and roll it to new shop.
It little better than garage I do not have worry about chips getting in to house.

Dave

Bay Area folks should also join Bay Area Engine Modelers Club, we should be resuming monthly meetings as soon as the virus is under control, and then you get to have face-to-face talks with other newbies and old-timers on any and all topics.

For machine tools it all depends on what you are making, for model engine parts I only have a 200 lb bench top lathe that I still haven't outgrown in 25 years. On the other hand for a bench top mill I'm planning on upgrading to the nearly 400 lb mill from LittleMachineShop, since my current one has a wimpy round vertical column that isn't adequate on multiple accounts. For me "bench top" means indoors, rather than out in the uncooled & unheated garage that becomes unbearable all too often in the south bay.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you soon.

My name is Jeff Traeger. I live in the San Francisco East Bay Area. I am a woodworker and novice metal worker. I enjoy restoring machinery. I’m currently about to start the restoration of an Atlas/Craftsman 12” lathe on the original cabinet. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, I have to sell my Logan 820 that I restored about 15 years ago. Assuming it is proper I will post an ad for the Logan soon.
I’m interested in getting in to building small model engines, something that can be done principally on a lathe, although my new lathe has a small milling attachment. Are there any you tube videos anyone would recommend? I’ve watched a lot of Mr. Pete’s videos on general Metal machining techniques as well as one on building a small engine.

Hello Jeff,
Either of the lathes you mentioned will be fine for your shop. Accurate machining is all about proper practices & techniques as long as the machinery is in decent shape as you describe yours are. There are several sources for additional tooling, quite often in kit form. which can be built in your shop over time. We are building small parts, not full size racing engines so stress on the machines is minimal. Just keep them clean, lubed & aligned & you will have many years of enjoyment as you progress in your machining knowledge. My current lathe is my fourth (& last) in a long line of machines & my mill is my third. I too have restored most of my equipment & enjoy that part of the hobby as much as making chips. I live close to you in Alameda so please stay in touch.
Stay safe,
Rod

I hope you enjoy the weather nice Orange Red sun and air you see to breath. I am down in valley and that what and that we have. None of that old blue sky or bright sun.

The lathe I have now I rebuilt including scape the bed ways.

Dave

Hello Jeff,
Either of the lathes you mentioned will be fine for your shop. Accurate machining is all about proper practices & techniques as long as the machinery is in decent shape as you describe yours are. There are several sources for additional tooling, quite often in kit form. which can be built in your shop over time. We are building small parts, not full size racing engines so stress on the machines is minimal. Just keep them clean, lubed & aligned & you will have many years of enjoyment as you progress in your machining knowledge. My current lathe is my fourth (& last) in a long line of machines & my mill is my third. I too have restored most of my equipment & enjoy that part of the hobby as much as making chips. I live close to you in Alameda so please stay in touch.
Stay safe,
Rod

Are there any you tube videos anyone would recommend? I’ve watched a lot of Mr. Pete’s videos on general Metal machining techniques as well as one on building a small engine.
Hi Jeff:
I will second or third Tom's Techniques as a recommendation for a website on general machining. He has several projects on his website and develops YouTube videos as he builds them. One of his projects is carriage stop for his father's 12" Atlas. Another guy who gets into fundamentals is That Lazy Machinist. Quite an entertaining guy.

If you haven't seen it, there is a very good set of plans out there for building a small IC engine called the "Webster". There are several build threads on this website that are quite helpful. I followed Brian Rupnow's build primarily, but got useful information from others as well.

I saw your work on restoring the 12X36 Atlas. Nice work.
Regards, Bill

Back