New member from Iowa

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Sheets

Reaction score

I suppose I am not doing this right but I wanted to introduce myself like some other sites like you to do....

06/07/2011

Hello everyone ! My name is Gary Sheets . I am a retired machinist in eastern Iowa
and I have decided to join some of these machinist community blogs . I retired in 2010
after 40+ years machining on production lathes and mills ( all cnc after the mid 80's ) .
I was tired ! After about 3 months retirement I found out I needed a triple heart bypass .
FYI it takes awhile to bounce back from those . Lately I have been amusing myself by
trying to fabricate a small “desktop” size cnc milling machine, the goal being to make a
machine capable of doing useful work while being assembled from the most economical
parts possible .This envolved a lot of time on the pc trying to understand the electronics
part of it . The going has been slow due to money flow after the operation and living on
ss. So far I have worked out the design and have most of the parts gathered for it . I
hope to start assembling it soon . I can keep you posted on the progress if anyone is
interested . Perhaps upload some pictures .
Also if anyone is looking for some great deals on precision measuring equipment
let me know what you need . There are a lot of things here . I probably have it for a
very low price . I just want to recoup some money , not looking for profit .
BTW this is my first attempt to post online so please excuse any screwups .

Thanks for listening,
Gary

Hi Gary, welcome to HMEM. I was born and raised in Southwest Iowa, near Omaha / Council Bluffs. Haven't lived there for nearly 50 years, but still have family there and still consider it my home state.

Chuck

Gary,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Gary :
First of all welcome to the board. Glad the recovery from bypass surgery went well.
I am going to make some coments about your post. Please take them as educational and not as a scolding. You have a lot of machining experience that can be shared. An from Your intro you seem to be here for the right reasons.

I suppose I am not doing this right but
Probably not the best way to start a post especially your first. I understand you are testing new waters and a maybe a bit apprehensive.

I wanted to introduce myself like some other sites like you to do..
That is a good thing, we like intros here as well. Generally intros here are posted in the welcome sub fora.

06/07/2011
No need to post a date the computer automatically puts a time and date stamp on every post.

Also if anyone is looking for some great deals on precision measuring equipment
let me know what you need . There are a lot of things here . I probably have it for a
very low price . I just want to recoup some money , not looking for profit .

If you are offering Items for sale place that info in the Buy/Sell/Trade E-Bay sub fora.

As far as the CNC build I started a Thread called What is needed for CNC it focuses on the conversion electronics /software side of things. It may help you http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9787.0

BTW this is my first attempt to post online so please excuse any screwups .
You are excused forgiven and as I said welcome here. It takes time to get used to and group and the way things are done. I will do my best to help you learn the ropes here and make the time you spend hear a pleasant learning experience.
Tin Falcon

Gary hope you were not put off by my post ! You are welcome here.
Tin

Latest posts

Back