New Member from Canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I started collecting stationary toy steam engines a few years ago, and after a while decided that I would like to make my own engines from scratch. I had not used a lathe or mill since I was in high school, but that did not stop me from purchasing a mini-lathe and mill. With the help from sites like this I have learned a lot and have completed 4 engines so far. First was a PM 2A casting kit, followed by a wobbler and a beam engine. I have just completed a Poppin Flame Licker, this is my favorite so far. My next engine I am building is from the book “Home Mechanics for Amateurs”. It is a very interesting Caloric engine. There are not many dimensions marked on the plans, so I am making it mostly from the pictures. My IronHorse moniker comes from the fact that I also collect Johnson Iron Horse single cylinder air-cooled engines from the 1940's and 50's These engines where used by the Canadian and British forces to power generators for recharging field radios. I will post some pictures of my completed engines soon.

Welcome to HMEM IronHorse

If you've built a running Poppin, it's all downhill from there! ;)
We DO like pictures!

Rick

Welcome to the Forum, IronHorse. Flame Suckers like the Poppin are really difficult. I've built 2 from scratch and one from castings, and I've yet to get one running for any length of time!

Chuck

Welcome, whereabouts in Canada? post some pics of the engines when you can

Welcome to the club. Looking forward to the pictures of your completed engines.

Eric

Latest posts

Back