New Member from Atlanta, GA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spedding84

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Daniel. I am a heavy equipment mechanic. I discovered this site and joined a few weeks ago. I purchased a mini-lathe yesterday so now I feel worthy of introducing myself.
I enjoy all of the info on the site and look forward to working with everyone. I would also like to give credit to Home Shop Machinist Magazine. They have a coupon for the mini-lathe at Harbor Freight for $350. I got the lathe, a tailstock chuck and a dial indicator for $405 with tax and all. Great for a beginnner. Can't beat it I feel.

Thanks Again

Daniel

Another wEc1 to HMEM. Sounds like a good start. When you get the lathe all cleaned up, there are many sites and articles and forums concerning the HF Mini Lathe and the modifications you can do to increase its performance and accuracy.

ironman (Ray)

Welcome Daniel...I spent the first 21 years of my life in Atlanta and still have family there. Best wishes with the new lathe and as Tom asked, please tell us what your modeling interests are. Glad you found us and enjoy your time here...its very adictive though :)

Regards,
Bill

Daniel,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the warm welcome. I will post pictures of my set up soon. I am still cleaning the shipping grease off of it.
As far as interest, I just wanna start with a simple single cylinder air engine, preferable with a rotary valve and work my way up to a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder like the one Chuck Fellows built.

Thanks Again.

hi
i have just joined you today after coming across this forum whilst searching google for information on the 3/4 inch case tractor. Collecting old toy steam engines is my hobby i have about 100
several awaiting restoration some already restored. i started with just basic clean and polishing, after a couple of engines i moved on to respraying bases, then removing and replacing boiler fittings using soft solder. As some of my engines are nearly 100 years old replacement parts are not easily aquired even if you wait for eternity and pray to the god of ebay every day. So i bought a seig 12x7 lathe which has allowed me to make small not too intricate parts. i have only made 1 engine or more accurately i recreated an engine from what was an engine unit that was passed to me i already had an example of what the finished product should look like so i was able to fabricate a new base, boiler complete with all the neccasary connection's steam lines and even a realisticly accurate safety valve, as well as two authenticly rough looking pistons.(pictures of the finished item next to an original can be submitted if anyone wants too see)
i feel now i would like to widen my scope a little and hope that you guys can teach me

whoops sorry i seem to have messed up on how too start a thread perhaps i'd better learn how to do that first

Welcome David, even if you aren't quite in the greater Atlanta area :big: Glad you found us and I am sure everyone would love seeing some pictures of your extensive collection.

Regards,
Bill

Hey Daniel,

We moved from Atlanta (Doraville) last year and are just up the road in rural Jackson county. 'Bout 4 miles from Braselton. I'm not really into engines yet but joined for the wealth of info available about mini lathes and mills. Still on a learning curve with both but already turned a seating stem for one of my reloading dies.

Daniel,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

swampsavage said:
Hey Daniel,

We moved from Atlanta (Doraville) last year and are just up the road in rural Jackson county. 'Bout 4 miles from Braselton. I'm not really into engines yet but joined for the wealth of info available about mini lathes and mills. Still on a learning curve with both but already turned a seating stem for one of my reloading dies.

Yeah I'm in Covington. I'm Turning my first project this weekend. Just a simple ring. Gotta start somewhere. Thanks for all the replies everybody. Sure is a friendly forum. Seems like a tight knit group. I love it.

Welcome Spedding84

As KVOM said live next door in Conyers

George

Latest posts

Back