New member from Arkansas here!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddallen1

Reaction score
Thanks for the add to the forum. I’ve some machining experience. Slowly working on a 9 cylinder radial from Ageless Engines, Lee Hodges design. Anyone else working this model presently?

Attachments

• BC63B2DE-CD56-48C1-B6A5-96905E596619.jpeg
    BC63B2DE-CD56-48C1-B6A5-96905E596619.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7185.MOV
    22.4 MB
Welcome, glad to have you.

Those Ozark Moutains towards the north have some fantastic scenery.

Good luck with your build; perhaps someone here can help you.

Pat J

Thanks for the add to the forum. I’ve some machining experience. Slowly working on a 9 cylinder radial from Ageless Engines, Lee Hodges design. Anyone else working this model presently?
Curious about your mill socket - - - dunno if I've ever see that kind of male end (on your milling cutters in the pic).

TIA

Torm
Curious about your mill socket - - - dunno if I've ever see that kind of male end (on your milling cutters in the pic).

Tormach mill tooling is what you are seeing. I’ve attached a short video on my introduction for you to see this in action

Hmmmmmmmm - - - - asked the question because the tooling that I'm seeing has, for me anyway, an unusual end(s) to it.
Maybe you're using some kind of collet system but when I look at the Tormach sales literature all I can see is R-8 and BT30 spindles.
Your pic shows something that isn't either of those.

Hmmmmmmmm - - - - asked the question because the tooling that I'm seeing has, for me anyway, an unusual end(s) to it.
Maybe you're using some kind of collet system but when I look at the Tormach sales literature all I can see is R-8 and BT30 spindles.
Your pic shows something that isn't either of those.
The Tormach R8 collet is special as it has a flat register on it that accepts these tool holders. This is such that it allows accurate “z” indexing of the tools. You can rapidly change tools while maintaining tool presets. Look at Tormach tool holders for a better idea how these work.

The Tormach R8 collet is special as it has a flat register on it that accepts these tool holders. This is such that it allows accurate “z” indexing of the tools. You can rapidly change tools while maintaining tool presets. Look at Tormach tool holders for a better idea how these work.
Hmmmmmmm - - - - took some digging - - - - its called TTS tooling.
TTS = Tormach Tooling System
means its proprietary - - - - and its only sold by them (for now) - - - - - I'm wondering how many more tooling systems are needed????????
(Morse, Jacobs, Cat, NMPT, ISO, Capto, can't remember Kennetal's version, BigPlus and now also TTS that's besides all the shrinking systems and collet systems - - - - talk about market fracturization!!!!)

Hmmmmmmm - - - - took some digging - - - - its called TTS tooling.
TTS = Tormach Tooling System
means its proprietary - - - - and its only sold by them (for now) - - - - - I'm wondering how many more tooling systems are needed????????
(Morse, Jacobs, Cat, NMPT, ISO, Capto, can't remember Kennetal's version, BigPlus and now also TTS that's besides all the shrinking systems and collet systems - - - - talk about market fracturization!!!!)
Welcome to the group

Dave

I too am "slowly" working my way on the Ageless 9 cylinder engine. Have been for a couple of years now. One reason for the slow progress is that the cost of the materials has increased significantly. Being retired requires judicious management of available funds, hence parsing development out a bit. The engine has challenged my skills, that is a fact. Like trying to drill 110 0.020" holes in cast iron for the oil rings. I have a build log that is a little out of date. It is on another site. Here is the link:
https://www.***************.com/threads/ageless-9-cylinder-radial-engine-build-thread.95442
Good luck, hope to hear/see of your progress....

Back