New headstock on old lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Holt

A friend of mine made connection from tumbler output shaft to Norton gear input with standard toothed belts and sheaves and claimed it to be miles cheaper and less noisy.
To go metric You need a 127 toth 100 tooth reduction somewhere but there are a lot of very close approximate combinations.Myfords use 63 80 I think

Regards

Niels

I have been thinking of belts and pulleys for noise reduction, but i think it will only be used for cutting treads, i am planning on using a variable speed motor for the feed, disengaging the tumbler

Holt

Looks like a good lathe and a possible candidate for an electronic lead screw :http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/

Although , if you want to stick with change gears Myford gears (and copys of) are cheap and plentiful. You'll need a 127T plus a few others to do metric threading

But.

Before you modify it too much, get a good set of pictures, with close ups of the dials, labels etc. off to Tony at lathes.co.uk, so he can include them on his Damaco lathes pages.

Bill

Does anybody know, what module the Myford change gears are, if i make some basic gears, i could as well make them fit later purchase ;)
Holt

Is there nobody that knows the module common on this size lathe? my guess would be 2 or 2.5 ???

Holt

Hi Holt.

I'm not sure what gears that specific lathe would use.

Myford change gears are 20 DP (diametral pitch) which is 1.27 Module - and they have a pressure angle of 14.5 degrees.

Kind regards, Arnold

Thank you very much Arnold. I looked at our Schaublin today at work, it have 1.5 pitch gears, and i think they look small, i also looked at our large far east lathe (90 mm bore) and found it fitted with 2.5 pitch, and they looked large, so i think a 2 pitch will suit a lathe this size, but that don't matter anymore, because i wont be buying the lathe anyway, i stole another ;D woohoo1. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=17702.0

Latest posts

Back