New guy here, Howdy!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdragonm

Reaction score
So, I know nothing about these things but ive basically Inherited a layout and a few little extras. They appear to be all Stuart models and have some age to them. I look forward to learning as much as I can here about care, upkeep, fuel type etc. Even the value of what I have should the need ever arise/someone is so enamored by it. I DO NOT want this to sit around and collect dust anymore.

Full layout:

2cffc67cdb929f0ffe6edc7c9ec46ece23a097e7-1.jpg

Hello, and welcome. That is one nice multi-engine powerplant setup/display. Can you provide us a bit more history about it and perhaps a brief bio of your experience with such machines so that we may get a better idea as to specific suggestions to make. As for the value of that setup, it appears to be all original Stuart, and if so, it is pricey. Are the engines and boiler factory built or did someone machine them?

BC1
Jim

You have some nice Stuart Engines there, looks like the builder is using the steam return to preheat boiler make up water and to use the condensate water. The vertical engine on the right side of the photo is {had it wrong} , all the engines have steam lubricates that use a special steam oil.

Last edited:
No, I disagree with that. The 5A incorporated a two-piece valving rod arrangement, made up of the shank portion that then was bolted to the driving sheave. The engine shown is the model 10V which utilized the single casting for the valve motion. Also, the steam chest cover on the 5A was secured with a total of eight studs and not the four seen on this engine. The logo on the cover was cast in a square outline on the 5A and the cylinder itself was more robust looking with a domed top cover as well.

BC1
Jim

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are right, I cant get a good estament of the size of the engines from the photo..

Very nice collection, I think all the engines are Stuart. The twin vertical is a double 10V, the single is a 10V and the one in the foreground is an S50. All nice engines. Should give you years of pleasure. A little nest egg too since Stuart kits/engines are getting a bit pricey.
All the Best

B

Welcome to the forum you have a lovely collection of Stuarts there

Very nice collection, I think all the engines are Stuart. The twin vertical is a double 10V, the single is a 10V and the one in the foreground is an S50.

I think the boiler is probably a Stuart too and the D10 has the Stuart boiler feed pump fitted. The S50 in the foreground is driving what looks like a small dynamo
Driving it by chain from a pulley is a bit unusual, and probably rather noisy. The normal method is to drive them from a belt round the flywheel like a steam showman's engine does. Little dynamos like this need to run pretty fast to actually generate power.

Can we have some more pics please so we can observe the finer details.

Best Regards Mark

Latest posts

Back