New guy from Upstate NY

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverSanJuan

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

My name is Todd, and I live in the Capital Region of Upstate NY. I'm new to the metal working hobby, but I've been building things since I was about 6. From plastic models of cars, planes and ships, to wooden ship and aircraft models, to model railroading.

My Dad has been the greatest influence on my hobbies. We've built several model railroads together as well as RC planes. Last summer my Dad gave me his MicroMark 7x14 mini-lathe. He didn't have any room for it after they moved. I've used it to make several parts for my RC planes. But, my real love is steam locomotives. My Dad introduced me to them when we would visit the White Mountain Scenic Railroad in Northern Arizona. But, I got hooked when we road the Cumbres & Toltec and Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroads of Colorado and New Mexico. So, I'm a die hard narrow gauge steam fan. :)

My dream is to someday build a live steam locomotive. So to that end I've started setting up a small shop to gain the experience that I'll need to accomplish that dream. In addition to the lathe my Dad gave me, I've recently added the LMS Hi-Torque mini-mill (SX2 as it's known here). And, I'm building up an inventory of tooling and stock metal. Today UPS is delivering a 4" 4-jaw independent chuck for the lathe and a fly cutter for the mill. I'm really looking forward to checking those tools out. :) I plan to start learning by building several of Elmer's numbered models, and then working my way up from there. I'd also like to learn aluminum casting eventually.

Sorry to ramble on so long on my first post. But, I'm real excited to be here and to get started in this new hobby. This forum seems to have a great bunch of folks, and I look forward to learning from you all.

Regards,
Todd

Hi there Todd, it sounds like you are well on your way. I think some of the Elmer's engines are a great way to get started. Start with the simpler ones and work your way up.

Todd

Welcome to HMEM Todd. Thanks for the great introduction. We look forward to your participation in the various forums. I am sure that you will find lots information to help you fullfill you dream of a live steam locomotive.

Cheers :)

Don

Hi Todd,

You'll find this site to be very friendly and helpful. I live in Latham, NY, not too far from you. I am relatively new to machining as well...I only got serious with it in the last couple of years. It's definitely an addicting hobby and very rewarding.

Shawn

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. :)

Prophub - funny, some of the first things I did with my lathe was true up some prop hubs. :D Are there any other folks in our area on HMEM? It would be great to meet some folks and trade skills.

Todd

Todd:
first of all welcome to the forum.
I used to visit that area with the family IIRC at least once a year while growing up. My mom and grandparents were from the fort Johnson area. My aunt and uncle lived in Colonie for many years. My uncle passed away a few years back and my aunt moved to Indianapolis.

There was a club meeting a couple times a year in an auto shop in Colonie Upstate New York Home Shop Metalworkers . do not know if the club still exists or not. the only info I see is at least a couple years old.
Tin

Todd, I attended BHBL HS, just down the road from you. And still have family in Charlton and Glenville.

I recently got into steam with a Corliss engine build, and have also started a steam loco. Keep making chips, the best way to learn.

Todd,

Prophubs are the first thing I made, hence the name. They were straight forward and taught some basics so they were great projects. It's nice to hear from others in the area. We moved a round a bit so I grew up in Glenville, Scotia and Amsterdam/Fort Johnson. After college I settled in Latham.

Shawn

Welcome Todd, it sounds like you will fit in here just fine!!!:)

Thanks for the welcome Tin, Tom and b.lindsey. Nice to here from folks familiar with this area. :)

Shawn, I'm working on what I consider as my first real project. But, it isn't related to planes or engines. My son wanted a flash-light holder for his BB Pistol. We were looking at them in Walmart, but they were almost $30. I was looking at them and said, "Hey, I can make that!" So, he bought a small maglite, and I found a chunk of aluminum to work with. I'm almost finished with it, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far. I've learned quite a bit while working on it too. Fun stuff!

Todd

Todd,

Cool! Please post some pictures if you can...sounds like an interesting project.

Shawn

Latest posts

Back