New CNC MIll Conversion

Discussion in 'CNC Machines and Conversions' started by joerom, Feb 19, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Mar 29, 2019 #21

joerom

joerom

joerom

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Bob,
    All you have to do is bolt together some angle iron for the frame, and put in cross pieces for the mill to bolt to..Then the actual cabinet can be made out of anything, and if you caulk the seams and paint it with Hammertone paint, you will have a waterproof setup that will work as well as mine..My cabinet is about 5 feet long and I think 28 in. deep..The height can be what you need it to be...It can easily be made out of plywood...I used Plexiglass for the doors...Just copy what I did only use what materials you have...…..

2. Mar 29, 2019 #22

michael-au

michael-au

michael-au

Nice work cabinet looks great

3. Mar 30, 2019 #23

joerom

joerom

joerom

Thanks to all for the likes, I do appreciate it...I enjoy doing things like this as much as building an engine...

4. Mar 30, 2019 #24

joerom

joerom

joerom

I just decided on another project I would like to get and have been thinking of for quite some time, and this may go to help finance it..If you have an interest PM me...…..

5. Apr 13, 2019 #25

Jackham

Jackham

Jackham

Hi Joe,

what an awesome job, well done. Did you mill some sample parts? I would like to know if the machine transfers vibrations to the sheet metal cabinet. Did you add some rubber dampers between the machine and the cabinet?

Can the stepper motors be used with coolant or do they have to be sealed?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  6. Apr 14, 2019 #26

joerom

joerom

joerom

Hello,
    I have not milled any parts with it..It is actually going to a friend the way it is right now..I do not see any vibrations being transferred, because it has either angle iron or flat steel welded to it on all edges and such, and sits on an angle iron frame..The mill is bolted right through the cabinet into the frame, and actually sits on bolts to keep it off the cabinet for cleaning..It should not be any different than any similar CNC machine..The steppers will have a simple cover on them to keep out the coolant and chips...
    I had intentions of making many things with it, but my ambition is declining as my age is rising..I have many castings and projects going now, and I am not really working on any of that, let alone adding CNC to my list of things that will never be done...………………...

7. Apr 14, 2019 #27

Jackham

Jackham

Jackham

Hello Joe,

Thank you for the info. It is never too late to learn new things, however we have to set our priorities. Your friend is going to get a real awesome CNC milling machine ;).

8. Sep 19, 2019 #28

joerom

joerom

joerom

This did go to a friend of mine, and as soon as it was gone, I had regrets..I was able to get it back, and I want to try some 4 axis machining, and then go on to 5 axis just for fun..First I want to do some additional things to it, and then try actually making something on it..My thoughts are to give the Little Demon a shot..I have a couple of other projects in the works, so I will try to fit it all in......