New Canadian on Board

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi Folks---I am a 62 year old Design Engineer from Barrie, Ontario in Canada. I have been building and racing hotrods all my life as a hobby. I purchased a metal lathe about 3 months ago, and after repairing all my home shop machinery that would benefit from the attention of lathe built parts, I have decided to try my hand at building a model steam engine. I was referred to this board from another home machinists forum. I hope I will be able to add a bit to this board, and I know I will benfit from the knowledge here.---Brian

Welcome Brian...I hope you will enjoy the group!!

Bill

A warm welcome from Western Canada
Stan (in Leduc Alberta)

Hi Brian, welcome aboard.

Joe (Montreal 'burbs) (and Proud Graduate of Johnson Street Public School kindergarden!)

Hi Brian and welcome.

Have you started the steamer yet?

Eric

Welcome to HMEM Brian.

Canadians are quite welcome here.
My wife (from Calgary Alberta) is loving it!

I was born in Niagara Falls NY.
Just a couple of hours away and across the creek from you.

Rick

Work is progressing on my "wobbler"---(somehow that sounds vaguely dirty!!) I am following a set of free plans that I downloaded off the internet. So far, so good. I did go up to Busy Bee this afternoon and spend a whole $15.00 for a 3/8" reamer to do the cylinder bore with. I just didn't trust my ability to bore it to a good enough finish to have it work right. I am glad that someone on the home machinists website told me about these free plans that could be built from bar stock. I saved $100 thru not having to purchase a "kit", but have now spent over $100.00 for tooling to build the darn thing!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

STEAM ENGINE001.JPG

I'm a BIG Elmer Verburg fan!
Looking forward to more progress pictures!

By the way Brian, don't think of it as spending $4100 on
tooling. Think of the fact that saved $200 by careful shopping
and price comparison.

OK I know that's often referred to as...
bs.gif

The women use it on US all the time!
Turnabout is fair play... ;)

Rick

Welcome Brian
The late great Rudy Kuhoupt used to say Wobblers are like potato chips you cant have just one!! here are a few of mine.Tin's Engines I would have a huge collection if I used the money I spent on tools and bought engines on e-bay instead LOL!! Welcome to the mad house.
And look at the bright side if you bought a "KIT" you would still have to buy the tools to machine it!!
Tin

hi brian............you live just up the street from me............i'm in aurora ontario.

do you ever go to cookstown steam show? if so i will most likely see you there this year, dad and i go almost every year.

you must know ed erwin from orrillia??

anyways welcome to this wonderfull site and look forward to seeing some of your projects!!!

chuck

Latest posts

Back