New cabinets for Tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shorter (≤ 12") stock and off-cuts are stored in "Really Useful Boxes" (Really Useful Boxes Inc - Box Details), milk crates or in tubes on a set of heavy-duty steel shelving:

View attachment 133946

View attachment 133943

Longer lengths are also in the same set of shelving (tubes for some of the small diameters or to keep specialized material separate):

View attachment 133944

As you can see, the dehumidifier is located next to this steel shelving, and the floor drain for the basement is partially tucked under the shelving: makes for a fun time of weight lifting when the drain gets clogged up!

Angles, channels and other light/long stock is on a wire shelf tucked under a long shelf that runs along one wall:

View attachment 133945

I usually buy more than I need for a specific project to maximize minimum shipping charges, so I'm quickly running out of places to put stuff.

Charlie

WOW - - - now that's organized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are describing dados (dadoes?) rather than rabbets - ?? IIRC rabbets are along an edge, forming a sort of step, where dados (dadoes?) are grooves. But my memory is fuzzy - maybe someone else can give a definitive answer ...
You are correct Andy. In a past life, joinery was my stock in trade. I built custom furniture, millwork, and cabinetry as a side business. Very successfully too, with pieces being shipped as far as Seattle, Beverly Hills, New York City, and Paris. As a firefighter, you always have at least one extra job (sometimes two) to feed the family and keep the wife in kitchen doodads!

John W

My shorter (≤ 12") stock and off-cuts are stored in "Really Useful Boxes" (Really Useful Boxes Inc - Box Details), milk crates or in tubes on a set of heavy-duty steel shelving:

View attachment 133946

View attachment 133943

Longer lengths are also in the same set of shelving (tubes for some of the small diameters or to keep specialized material separate):

View attachment 133944

As you can see, the dehumidifier is located next to this steel shelving, and the floor drain for the basement is partially tucked under the shelving: makes for a fun time of weight lifting when the drain gets clogged up!

Angles, channels and other light/long stock is on a wire shelf tucked under a long shelf that runs along one wall:

View attachment 133945

I usually buy more than I need for a specific project to maximize minimum shipping charges, so I'm quickly running out of places to put stuff.

Charlie
Wow! Nice work on the organization! My shop is a mess I’m afraid. I’m sharing a 2 car garage with my motorcycle, a couple freezers, 3 safes, and a full cabinet shop. I can only organize the remaining space around 3 lathes, a shaper, drill press, mill/drill, several workbenches, various cabinets, and grinder stands. Half the time I walk through the remaining space like a crab! :p at least I don’t have to travel far to get from tool to tool…
John W

Wow! Nice work on the organization! My shop is a mess I’m afraid. I’m sharing a 2 car garage with my motorcycle, a couple freezers, 3 safes, and a full cabinet shop. I can only organize the remaining space around 3 lathes, a shaper, drill press, mill/drill, several workbenches, various cabinets, and grinder stands. Half the time I walk through the remaining space like a crab! :p at least I don’t have to travel far to get from tool to tool…
John W

My basement shop is 22' x 13', but the center is storage/utility space and a bench with vises for bench work & electronics there are toolboxes/storage/a small worktop for micro power tools and my mini-lathe & mini-mill lining the walls; and with the exception of a 5' space between the bench & lathe/mill work area, a 2' access lathe looping around the central core. It works, but since my bandsaws live on top of a rolling cabinet, if I push that out of the way to get at stock, I have to go the long way around to get hardware (and some tooling).

My basement shop is 22' x 13', but the center is storage/utility space and a bench with vises for bench work & electronics there are toolboxes/storage/a small worktop for micro power tools and my mini-lathe & mini-mill lining the walls; and with the exception of a 5' space between the bench & lathe/mill work area, a 2' access lathe looping around the central core. It works, but since my bandsaws live on top of a rolling cabinet, if I push that out of the way to get at stock, I have to go the long way around to get hardware (and some tooling).
Boy does that sound familiar! I’m fortunate in that I can at least open my garage door if I get trapped like that, in a basement you don’t have that option.
Thanks again for the storage ideas Chazz.

John

John W
My shop is 30' x 40' metal building. Didn't have the luxury to insulate it when I built it. I had the whole shop until about 3 months ago when we added an automotive lift. Now I have half and My son has the other side. It limits what I can do. Heater works great but no AC. I've had to limit my stock storage also.

My shop is 30' x 40' metal building. Didn't have the luxury to insulate it when I built it. I had the whole shop until about 3 months ago when we added an automotive lift. Now I have half and My son has the other side. It limits what I can do. Heater works great but no AC. I've had to limit my stock storage also.
I'd say it was past time to expand the shop - - - grin!
You need more space (lost to the lift) - - - well create it!

My bar stock sits vertical in a rack size 400 x 600 mm, with my brass sheet to the side. The stock is color-coded. You should avoid cutting a piece from the color-coded end! Short stock sits in drawers.

Stock 1.JPGStock 2.JPG

For general storage I use quite ordinary kitchen cabinets as I find workshop tooling and kitchen tooling quite similar - for storage purposes.

Cabinet 1.JPGCabinet 2.JPG

The roller-sliders of the drawers are quite sturdy; I guess they easily hold loads of about 50 kg of machine-accessories.

Heavy tooling 1.JPGHeavy tooling 2.JPG

My bar stock sits vertical in a rack size 400 x 600 mm, with my brass sheet to the side. The stock is color-coded. You should avoid cutting a piece from the color-coded end! Short stock sits in drawers.

For general storage I use quite ordinary kitchen cabinets as I find workshop tooling and kitchen tooling quite similar - for storage purposes.

The roller-sliders of the drawers are quite sturdy; I guess they easily hold loads of about 50 kg of machine-accessories.

Another one of those scary organized guys - - - - ack - - - - the world is coming to an end - - - (LOL)

Wow - - - whilst I like to be organized I'm nothing near this level - - - - so far there is entirely too much to do to take a lot of time to achieve this level of organization. Doesn't mean that I don't like it though!!!!!

(I do hope the wacky humor is recognized!!!!)

Another one of those scary organized guys - - - - ack - - - - the world is coming to an end - - - (LOL)

Wow - - - whilst I like to be organized I'm nothing near this level - - - - so far there is entirely too much to do to take a lot of time to achieve this level of organization. Doesn't mean that I don't like it though!!!!!

(I do hope the wacky humor is recognized!!!!)

Hey, I didn't epoxy my floor, and Cheval's cabinets look better than what I have in my kitchen!

Truthfully, Cheval, I envy your spacious, well-eqiupped and excellently organized shop. Is the floor epoxy coated, urethane concrete, or the newer coating I heard of that started use in the fish processing industry in Europe?

Charlie

View attachment 134218View attachment 134219

View attachment 134220View attachment 134221

View attachment 134222View attachment 134223
Yep I have my old Kennedy toolbox full

Hey, I didn't epoxy my floor, and Cheval's cabinets look better than what I have in my kitchen!

Truthfully, Cheval, I envy your spacious, well-eqiupped and excellently organized shop. Is the floor epoxy coated, urethane concrete, or the newer coating I heard of that started use in the fish processing industry in Europe?

Charlie
I'm just jealous of the space he has.

From the inside it looks wonderfull and it really is. But it is just the partitioned back-end of the open shed in the yard.

Shed.JPG

The original shed was so low that I bumped my head at the back-end. Our local village smith has solved this by raising it 0,5 meter. With a simple car-jack he went five times round to get every post at height.

Post + 0,5 meter.JPG

The floor of my workshop is plain concrete, made nicely flat by 'flindering' and painted grey-green with the cheapest available concrete paint. A very nice feature is that I took the opportunity to put in floor heating. This is driven by a small wood stove that has a water spiral in the top-end. Heatsensors (two, after a lot of steam with the first failure) start the circulation pump. It gives a very nice steady heat - the machines love it. My wife was less pleased as the contractor put it in after we decided that retro fitting floor heating in the master bathroom was too expensive. My argument that the machines are 24/7 in the workshop and we only occasionally in the bathroom did not impress.

Floorheating woodstove.JPG

From the inside it looks wonderfull and it really is. But it is just the partitioned back-end of the open shed in the yard.

View attachment 134275

The original shed was so low that I bumped my head at the back-end. Our local village smith has solved this by raising it 0,5 meter. With a simple car-jack he went five times round to get every post at height.

View attachment 134276

The floor of my workshop is plain concrete, made nicely flat by 'flindering' and painted grey-green with the cheapest available concrete paint. A very nice feature is that I took the opportunity to put in floor heating. This is driven by a small wood stove that has a water spiral in the top-end. Heatsensors (two, after a lot of steam with the first failure) start the circulation pump. It gives a very nice steady heat - the machines love it. My wife was less pleased as the contractor put it in after we decided that retro fitting floor heating in the master bathroom was too expensive. My argument that the machines are 24/7 in the workshop and we only occasionally in the bathroom did not impress.

View attachment 134277

Yes, wives (spouses/partners) don’t seem to understand. Mine keeps saying she’s going to call the “dumpster people” to get rid of my junk when I’m gone; maybe I need to add a provision in my will requiring that she at least notify the Cabin Fever Auction folks (nearby auction/exhibition operators who run an annual regional Model Engineering Show).

clockworkcheval,

I would be interested in how you managed to add floor heating to your concrete-floored shop. I also don't know the term "flindering."

One of the saddest things about my shop life is that when I had my present garage/shop built I asked the contractor about at least adding the tubing for floor heat and he told me he had no idea how he could find someone to do that. Now that technology is much more common and I probably could get it in a new floor, but I don't know about an existing slab.

--

Oh, yes, SWMBO likes the TV show "hoarders" and starts talking about cleaning and sorting every time she watches it. So far, carefully respecting each others interest avoids stress, but the day will come .....

--ShopShoe

Floor warming has been common in large freezer installations to prevent slab heaving for some time, initially with air ducts, then Glycol or electrical resistance heat (temperature ~50F.) In northern climes it has also been used for snow/ice melting on ramps & drives. It only recently became popular in residential applications.

Adding floor heating after a slab is in place is possible, but it is costly and usually requires pouring a slab on top of the existing slab since a thicker than normal slab with insulation is required.

Latest posts

Back