New Beginnings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprattler

Reaction score
Hi All. I thought I would introduce myself before going ahead and asking alot of questions. Unlike alot of people on this forumn I have absolutely no machining experience whatsoever but I have had a real desire for many years to build model steam engines from barstock. Although I have no machineing skills I do have alot of mechanical ability having owned a Harley Davidson Custom Shop for the past 25 years as well as working as a Power Engineer in the winters. I started out by purchasing a small chinese 7x12 mini lathe and was able to make all kinds of little chips trying to learn how to use the machine. I then upgraded when I found a Myford Super 7 with all the accessories. So as winter is fast approaching here in Canada I would like to soon get started learning how to build these unique engines. I have read all the posts in the different subjects on this forumn and it still leaves me with a ton of beginners questions and with this in mind I wonder if there isn't room on this forumn for a subject line for beginners as I am sure there are others out there reading the posts and wondering when there questions will be answered but they are to timid to ask. So I guess I will be asking a whole lot of questions that just come natural to you more experienced peolple. Articles like the one written by bogstandard on making a flywheel was exceptional. After reading that article I believe a beginner could now make a flywheel, my hat is off to you Mr. bogstandard. This site is an incredible learning resource and I hope other beginners chime in so that we can all learn together and I hope you all don.t get upset with all of the beginners questions.

Gil

Hi Gil,
Welcome to the friendliest and most helpful site you can find.
I am sure that all your questions, no matter how trivial, will be answered with as much help and understanding as possible.
Thank you very much for your comment on my article, I hope the other articles as well will help you on your way to making little engines.
If you keep posting, people WILL answer your questions.

John

Welcome Gil.

Questions are ALWAYS welcome here.
Truth is, answering a beginner's question often leads us into much more
in depth discussions on our individual ways of doing things.
So we ALL learn from them!

Rick

HI
Nice to see you.

Myford super 7! one of the best little lathes ever made simply put.
I have a 7 in my spare bedroom i use for small bits and bobs in the winter
Couldn't ask for better.

Anything you want to know ask.

Cheers Kevin

Hey Gil!!

I’m new to these particular forums too, and though reasonably experienced at machining, I’m new to steam power. This has been a fun place to read and interact for me and I‘ve learned a lot already. And I must second that we all learn from questions. Even if it’s a question I’ve answered before numerous time, I’ll often find that by coming back to it, I see it from a different angle and get something new from it.

Even though I’ve not been here that long, it feels right to join everyone else and say “Welcome”.

LCN
LeChat
BlackCat

or as Bogstandard says, "Blacky"

I'll happily answer to most anything really...

Welcome to the fray. There are a lot of great people here, and all are very willing to answer questions. This is a great forum, and all of the guys that have put this thing together and help maintain it have done a remarkable job!

Let the questions begin!

welcome:
I am noticing your handle more in the threads. Good to see you getting involved.
Tin

Hi Gil,

welcome from Greece.
All members are helpful and will eagerly answer to any of your questions.
You got yourself a great machine. I only have a small Emco Compact 5 but am happy with it though nowhere near the class of your Myford.

Enjoy,

George

Latest posts

Back