New 6" horz/vert Rotary table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobs7-62steamair

Reaction score
Just received my new Olima 6" horz/vert Rotary table ordered from Alibaba.com 7 days ago. Purchased pictured unit for $265 delivered from mainland China. Local Grizzly store sells a very similar unit for $385 plus 7% sales tax. Very pleased with the quality of the Olima unit, overall better than the Grizzly and the price is better also. Take a look at the pic.

Rotary Table 4-5-2018.jpg

Very nice buy Bob.

I have spent a lot of money over the last couple of years by buying out of the far east, mainly from Alibaba or Bang Good. especially on tipped tools, and I reckon I have saved at least 50% by doing it that way, and they are usually the same items you get from internal engineering suppliers.

That RT you have bought looks like a direct copy of the Vertex HV-6. If it has a 90 to 1 reduction then you should be able to buy a fairly cheap dividing head set for it (in the UK, about £55), and you then have a good, strong dividing head. This set also works with the 4" tables as well.

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/...ABLE---DIVIDING-HEAD-4--6--69074.html#SID=487

Nice one

John

If it has a 90 to 1 reduction then you should be able to buy a fairly cheap dividing head set for it (in the UK, about £55), and you then have a good, strong dividing head.

Joh,
it only matters that it fits, a different ratio simply means you need your own dividing chart, which is easily constructed in a spreadsheet,
Regards,
Nick

Nick,

I understand what you are saying, and is exactly what I would have done, but all 3 of my dividing tools are 90 to 1 and I thought that because Bob has an almost exact match with the RT I have, I thought I wouldn't mention a thing like that as it could confuse rather than help.

John

I have this very same RT. Its almost a copy of the Vertex except there is no thrust bearing in the base of the casting for the table and the table fastens to the spindle slightly different. I added a thrust bearing from a chevrolet steering column and disassembled the entire unit and cleaned it up. Great RT and you got it for a great price !
Oh, I almost forgot to mention. I got mine with the dividing plates, 3 jaw chuck, and tailstock. Its all made very well except the divider for the divider plates. It had to be reworked but functions now as intended

I bought a SOBA branded version. It was cheap. But some of the design is pathetic, and some of the parts very badly made. Particulary, I had to clean up an lap the worm shaft and its sleeve as they were almost a press fit. There are other problem that could do with re-working when I find time.

Is it a copy of the Vertex ? Did you find that the worm has a few spots where it binds with the wheel ?
I bought a SOBA branded version. It was cheap. But some of the design is pathetic, and some of the parts very badly made. Particulary, I had to clean up an lap the worm shaft and its sleeve as they were almost a press fit. There are other problem that could do with re-working when I find time.

I have a genuine Vertex and when it was converted to run with Divisionmaster I found one slight tight spot, so did what Divisionmaster recommended.

They suggested a tiny bit of fine grinding paste between worm and operating wheel, worm and drive into tight engagement and then run for 5 minutes (easy to do with DM). Once it was all cleaned out again, any sign of the tight spot had disappeared.

John

Back