NEMES Show, Feb 18

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonGinger

Reaction score
Now that the topic has been raised I realize I should post some details.

It is again time for the NEMES show- that is the New England Model Engineering Society.

The show is Saturday, Feb 18th (it is always the 3rd saturday in Feb) at the Charles river Museum of Industry in Waltham MA. The museum is worth a visit even without the show, but the show really fills it up.

Everyone is welcome to exhibit, you do NOT have to be a member. Just bring models and find a table space. If you need a bit more room we always help by squishing exhibits together as needed.

One note- this show does NOT have any vendors, and no one is allowed to sell anything. This is by request of the museum management, since they are a non-profit and did not want any sign of commercial activity.

We try to have compressed air for models, but in the past our compressors have been a bit under powered. This year plans are being worked to rent an engine powered compressor to have just outside the door. If that works out it ought to solve the air problem.

Exhibitors should come to the rear door, by the loading ramp to unload, then move your car to the public parking lot. The rest of the building is a senior citizen home and they WILL tow cars parked by the building.

Setup is open to the exhibitors starting at 8:00AM. Doors open to the public at 10:00AM, closes at 4:00PM

Im a bit out of touch with the guys now that Im retired to Maine (150 miles from Waltham) but in the past we have always had several prizes to raffle off to the exhibitors. everyone with a model on the table will have their name entered, drawing starts in the afternoon, and you must be present to win.

Lots of photos from previous shows on our club site at http://neme-s.org

Everyone welcome, be sure to say hello.

Plan on doing the Midnight ride once again . Our friends in Andover are expecting us .
Tin Falcon

I'll be there guys! Not sure what I'm bringing yet....

Dave

I'm planning to go. It's a great show and fun to see friends. I have the HasBrouck #10 97.39456% completed :big: and may bring what I have

Cheers,
Phil

Hey Phil

I'd really like that!

Hope to see you there.

Dave

Hi folks!

I will be there again this year with my running Henry Ford engine....last year it was there but incomplete.

I have built a few engines since last year which I will also bring.

I also designed my first air engine...it is a twin cylinder, low profile, geared oscillating engine. The crank discs are also the drive gears which makes it cool to watch run.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Chris

(aka - vascon2196)

great show time to pack up the engines.

tin

well got to see several of the guys. had a great time lots of eager to learn folks.
Tin

RonGinger
I went to the show last year and was WoW'ed!!
I went to the show this year and was wowed again!! I have a couple of suggestions to make to make the show more enjoyable. First, would it be possible to have the screen names of the exhibitors on the shirt tags? I know I have conversed with or read responses on these threads but I don't know who they are unless I walk up and ask. I feel like a jerk doing so.
Second, could exhaust fans be set up to remove the smoke from the IC engines? I can't spend a long time in the hall before my sinuses start acting up. I would like to display some day but I could not with the smoke. I really wonder about the kids as well. If bringing this up causes the IC engines being not able to be run...forget I mentioned it.
Otherwise I had a great time!!

I was there too, but with the people and kid duty....I didn't get around enough.

HMEM was there, and most know who we are....but didn't know who I was nor did I really know who anyone else was....Tin is pretty easy as he has the banner set up .....and the hat!
;D

But talk about packing them in!....In 16 years there I have never seen so many people!...standing room only!

Dave

RonGinger
I went to the show last year and was WoW'ed!!
I went to the show this year and was wowed again!! I have a couple of suggestions to make to make the show more enjoyable. First, would it be possible to have the screen names of the exhibitors on the shirt tags?

I would like to see that as well, but we have no right to ask people to reveal their names. I am very open about it, as I use my name on all my internet postings, but many guys have privacy fears and wont do that. To bad I think, Id like to put faces to names as well.

Second, could exhaust fans be set up to remove the smoke from the IC engines? I can't spend a long time in the hall before my sinuses start acting up. I would like to display some day but I could not with the smoke. I really wonder about the kids as well. If bringing this up causes the IC engines being not able to be run...forget I mentioned it.
Otherwise I had a great time!!

I am afraid we now have a big problem. We have no control over the room and things like heating and vent fans. This year was out largest show ever. Someone called the Fire department and complained of 'bad air'. That got us a visit from several firemen fully dressed for battle, with air tanks and CO meters. They seemed to have little sense of humor. After opening some windows and closing the one near the outside air compressor they got the CO level they were happy with and loosened up to talk a bit.

I explained the kind of engines running, and fuel and one guy kind of freaked out. We stopped running all IC engines at that time.

The museum director will be talking to the Fire Chief on Monday to try to calm this down, but I fear for our future shows. When we had our first show, 16 years ago, the museum director and I had a meeting with the Fire Chief before the show where I told him what we would be doing and showed him some photos of the models. He came to the show, with his meter, walked around for about an hour, then said all was well and we did not have to call him about future shows. But that was 16 years ago. That museum director is long gone, and maybe that fire Cheif as well.

We will be working hard to keep out show and the ability to run all of our model engines, but I think we will be imposing some rules limiting engine size and run duration.

Hopefully a talk with the fire chief prior to next years show will help...giving them a heads up and all. Cracking the windows helped and its not like the engines were run the entire time. There were a lot of people there and I'm thinking that is a good thing!

We need more people to get hooked!

There were two young college students that displayed an engine they built in two weeks based off of their SolidWorks models....very cool!

They were allowed to choose ANY manufacturing project they wanted and they chose to make an air/steam engine!

I took a ton of pictures and will be posting some shortly....great to see everyone even if I didn't know who you were.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I was planning to go but had to cancel at the last minute. I was quite disappointed since I enjoyed the show last year. Hopefully in 2013.

Cheers,
Phil

Just a few snippets from the show.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzM1Q1mZ9cg[/ame]

Thayer

No, no, not their real names, I would never ask that.
The screen names they use here on the chat rooms is what I was asking. And, of course, it could be voluntary. If they don't want to they don't have to.

It is too bad about Fire Dept. They must have showed up after I left. I pray an agreement can be worked out. There is something about the IC engines when they fire up. Every head in the room turns and a crowd forms instantly around that particular table. People are fascinated by something that small, that mimics a car engine, firing up and running! It would be a great loss to the show and N.E.M.E.S. if the engines were silenced.

Chris & Thayer, thanks for posting the pics - that's about a close as I'm likely to get from Cape Town.

Ken

I wish I would have taken more....on my way out I noticed a whole bunch of great exibitors downstairs!

Chris

Latest posts

Back