Need rookie recommendations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac25

Reaction score
I am looking for any info on PCNC machines. I have no experience with CNC, but would love to find a hobby machine for $5-7k. I have researched the Tormach brand and of course Haas, which are clearly designed for the professional and way out of my budget. Any info is appreciated.

First of all I have to say that There are lots of PCNC machines in the market but small CNC mill is a large celling machine in the whole PCNC machines. If you want to know about them, then you should go with the tormach online site which provides all PCNC machines information with its price. I hope this information will help.

Little Machine Shop sells a CNC mill for 5K. They usually invite potential customers to see the mill in action so they can have a good idea of the mill's performance, limits an so on. Sherline sells small CNC machines and I once saw a CNC conversion kit for a Proxxon mini mill that included automatic tool change ... lovely little thing.
But as mentioned in other threads you should first define what do you want to do with a PCNC so you can define how big or small your machine should be. Do you plan to build small steam engines? Or a 3 1/2 gauge locomotive?
Caveat emptor (buyer beware), remember that once you have purchased your CNC you may need an additional 5K for tooling, accessories, measurement and layout instruments ...

Back