Need "Pinout" for Sieg SC2 Lathe R.P.M. socket

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Edwards

Reaction score
Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
HI,

There is a seven pin socket on the control panel of the lathe labeled "R.P.M.' where the digital speed display plugs in.

I would like to know what type of signal/voltage/? is on each pin for the purpose of trying to build my own digital display.

Thanks!
Jenny

Someone was kind enough to share a link with me that not only gives the pinout, but also a breakdown of the data on each pin, source code written in arduino for interpreting the data, and finally a way to purchase a complete Tachometer kit that will work for both the SC2 lathe and SX2 mini mill which is great as I own both machines.

So you can either take a stab at building your own, which I am going to try, or buy a pre-programmed kit for $50 U.S.

Here is the link: https://macpod.net/misc/sx2_tachometer/sx2_tachometer.php

In his article he also tells you how you can switch the controller to run the motor on your SX2 Mini Mill in reverse.

Last edited:
I have ordered an Arduino board, LCD display, and the necessary cabling from Amazon. My total cost was £18. When they arrive I will compile and upload the code and breadboard the display. If it works I'll next work on an enclosure.
I'll post again after the stuff arrives from Amazo and I get the coding done.

I have ordered an Arduino board, LCD display, and the necessary cabling from Amazon. My total cost was £18. When they arrive I will compile and upload the code and breadboard the display. If it works I'll next work on an enclosure.
I'll post again after the stuff arrives from Amazo and I get the coding done.

this is THE best RPM you can get, I have 4 of them and perfect

https://www.banggood.com/Red-LED-Ta...N-p-928692.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks for the link.

My Arduino UNO R3 board and lcd display came yesterday. I rewrote the display interface portion of the program to use the two wire I2C communications protocol. It will make for a simpler installation.

Next I loaded the modified RPM program to the Arduino UNO R3 board and it ran well.

I am still waiting for the seven pin din plugs to arrive.
When they arrive I will have a working RPM LCD display prototype.

It is small enough to fit inside my mill and my lathe’s existing control panels.

Once I have tested and debugged it with the external connector I will install them internally.

This is what I have up to now:

18C4B71C-7FDF-4F02-B288-92FCDD32566D.jpeg

The beauty of this project is that total cost of Arduino board, LCD display, and connector was £17.72 on Amazon! It also took me about six hours of my time to hunt down the proper libraries, and rewrite a portion of the main program.

It beats the heck out of Axminster’s price of £150 for an external add on display.

I will make my copy of the modified software available to the group once I am happy it works 100%

You can do a similar thing with an arduino to read feed speed on any axis as it is just a modified version of the tachometer programme . I made one for my mill for the quill feed and it if fantastic for boring or drilling holes .

I have built CNC routers using Mach3 and G-Code but never got into Arduino before a couple days ago.

The versatility of one of those boards is amazing! You can probably do any type of machine or process control logic you can think of.

I love the fact that the language is based on good old C++ , it was s snap to pick up how to code.

Today I found a colour 3 1/2 inchTFT (touch screen) that has Arduino compatibility on amazon for £19, I am kthinking I can easily and really cheaply make a colour control panel out of it that not only shows speed, But will allow the user to set it as well as reverse spindle direction.

Add a couple of stepper motors for ten quid a pop, a breakout board, and a little machining you could control feeds and speeds.

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

I’ll post the code, build instructions, and links to everything to make your own RPM display when I finish it up, probably in the next few days....
STAY TUNED

I have built CNC routers using Mach3 and G-Code but never got into Arduino before a couple days ago.

The versatility of one of those boards is amazing! You can probably do any type of machine or process control logic you can think of.

I love the fact that the language is based on good old C++ , it was s snap to pick up how to code.

Today I found a colour 3 1/2 inchTFT (touch screen) that has Arduino compatibility on amazon for £19, I am kthinking I can easily and really cheaply make a colour control panel out of it that not only shows speed, But will allow the user to set it as well as reverse spindle direction.

Add a couple of stepper motors for ten quid a pop, a breakout board, and a little machining you could control feeds and speeds.

The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

I’ll post the code, build instructions, and links to everything to make your own RPM display when I finish it up, probably in the next few days....
STAY TUNED

Hi

I’m not sure if you are aware but there is a CNC G-Code interpreter for Arduino called GRBL. Yes strange name but well regarded with many projects based off of it. Effectively for a few bucks you can build Arduino based 3 axis CNC mills and etc or use it for special function uses. Well a few bucks for the controller.

Hi

I’m not sure if you are aware but there is a CNC G-Code interpreter for Arduino called GRBL. Yes strange name but well regarded with many projects based off of it. Effectively for a few bucks you can build Arduino based 3 axis CNC mills and etc or use it for special function uses. Well a few bucks for the controller.

Thank you,
Yes I used a GRBL board on my last CNC mill that I built with OOZNEST parts. I own a licensed copy of “V-Carve Pro” that is an awesome WYSIWYG G-Code generator.

I had a lot of fun with it. Some of its features were: import of jpegs into 2 1/2D carvings, rotatable 3-D images of a part before you cut it, tool library, it can generate multiple tool paths for rough and finished cuts from a single drawing, and do forth...

What really surprised me was how accurate my 750 x 1000 mill was. It could hold better than 1/64 th inch tolerances.

I was doing a lot of inlay work on stringed musical instruments. V/Carve Pro has an inlay toolpath generator that will output two tool-paths from a single drawing an “inlay” path and a “pocket” toolpath.

Good stuff indeed.

Since posting this project I have had over forty people successfully build this project.
some used the Arduino “Nano” boards and were able to contain everything inside the existing lathe or mill cabinet.

thank you everyone who has requested the code or some help with their builds. I have been enjoying watching your projects come to fruitio.

jenny

Latest posts

Back