Need opinion on truck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmoore45

Reaction score
Ok this is a long story so be ready,

My friend bought a 1986 Chevy C-10 about a 2 years ago. 305 V8, 4 speed manual, long bed, 4bbl quadrajet, decent body, good interior, with about 75,000 original miles on it, paid $2500. He bought it from a a guy on a farm that rarely used it. It was a good little truck and he maintained it. After having it for about a year he sold it, he broke even and bought a '00 F-150 v6 5 spd with 30,000 miles (paid to much for the truck). About 8 months of having his new truck he started missing his old truck. He found the guy he sold it to and bought it back, he paid 2,750 (lost a little money). The guy he sold it to had blown the original 305 and put in a used 350 (condition unknown). He put lowering shackles on the back (cut some of the frame to do so). The 305 v8 was all original all the vacuum lines where hooked up and it was nice a neat. When the guy put in the 350 he just made it work, didn't do a very good job.
Well my friend got the truck back and had it for a few months, hes not a car guy so I have been helping him work out all the kinks and stuff in the truck and did a basic tune up on the truck to get it running right. My friend hasn't owned the truck 5 months and the head gaskets blew on the 350, pretty much confirming my theory that the used 350 was worn out. Now he wants to sell the truck, I always told him to ask me if I want to buy it before talking to anyone else. I want the truck as a project and daily driver so I can work on my mustang but I'm not sure what to offer.

The truck is in decent shape, but here are its flaws/concerns
Motor, not sure of condition
power steering leaks

front suspension needs work
Clutch?
U-joints?
Transmission?
Differential?

A/c doesn't work
Exhaust pipe is cut under bed
Minor dents and small amount of surface rust

My question to you members is what do you honestly think the truck is worth. I want to get some other people input before I offer too much/little. Please post your thoughts and what you think the truck is worth.

Thanks Guys, Ranger

A close inspection of the rear cab corners and body mounts usually tell the story on a 27 year old GM truck. I agree with the others, no a/c, cut frame/ powertrain unknown?, sound like a parts vehicle.

$500 too high in my opinion.

Hi Ranger,
Sounds like the truck is a total basketcase at this point. Don't buy it. If you offer your friend $500 (way too much, this thing is scrap) he will be insulted because he paid waaayyy to much to get it back. They only made a bazzillion C-10 Chevys, so if your heart is set on this particular model, go find a solid one and be willing to pay 1500 to 2 grand for it. Any more than that for a 1986 is ridiculus unless its been fully restored or something. I hate to say it, but your friend made a bad decision buying the truck back. That is his lesson to learn, and it is not your duty to save him from his mistake.....
I hope that helps and that it all works out.
Cheers!
Chris

well if the body is nice and the frame isn't cracked it can be worth something but it depends on what you want it for. i mean it's not cheap to put together a new motor and fix the ac. i'm sorry for your friend. i mean having a bigger motor doesn't increse the value and shotty suspension mods severely depreciates the value, especially lowering because it effects the usefulness of the truck, once it's lowered it narrows the market significantly. the 3rd party sounds like a fool and your friend a little naive.

if the body is truly solid to the point of good original paint i'd go higher at $1500 despite the frame modification, but i can get a motor or do a quick rebuild on my own very cheaply and i am a certified welder. the ac is something i could live without and would remove it. unless it's the south east in which case the humidity would be enough to make me fix it. but without seeing the truck i have to assume there is a normal amount of wear and tear for a near 30 year old truck and would value it at around $500. it's old, there are a lot of them, suspension parts don't last 30 years. the truck could be a never ending project all in it's own and not a good driver till the 'stang is done.

when you start needing body, paint, electrical, bushings, ball joints, shocks, springs...... it all adds up really fast. you need to look at those thing. also what's the steering box and centerlink like? does it steer well? is there play? what does the cab/bed gap look like. a lot of old pickups crack frames and the gap here will show evidence of it sagging as a result.

basically anything you don't know you have to assume is no good on a 20+ yaer old vehicle.

With a little work, disassemble it and scrap it in pieces. You might do a little better than scraping the POS as a whole. In any case....

Back