Need insights

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfside

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum but not new to machining. I would like to ask some help from you guys. Why same chemistry steel from different supplies of hot band , after it cold reduction with Q&T behaves differently , at times lead higher corrosion - any insight to this problem ( 75Ni8, 76Cr1 steel ). Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Your question is quite interesting. Metallic alloys with identical chemistry have different behaviors depending on the manufacturing process. Casting, rolling, heat treatment,etc. can alter the properties of the metallic materials. For example, two steels can have the same amount of carbon but in one case the carbon can be present as graphite. The heat treatments also alter the micro structural properties of metals, these micro structures are important for macro properties such as hardness and other mechanical characteristics.
I think that the best source of information are the ASM Handbooks on metals, if you have access to a collection at your job or in a public library you'll find plenty of information about the specific steels you mention in your post. Once I found a nice book at a friend's library that had hundreds of entries about steel, I think the title was something like "The little black book on steel alloys"

Considering that case, production of these metallic alloys with identical chemistry that vary in behaviors would yield unpredictable results?

Both steels are high carbon steels. After Q&T (= quenching and tempering) they are a bit more rust resistant. But don't expect too much.
I don't think they are typical steels for casting.
75Ni8 is a typical steel for forging (knives), 75Cr1 (not 76Cr1) is a low alloy tool steel, typically used for springs.

They won't be different wether drawn or hot rolled. Disregarding orientation of the crystals. To get equal properties, the drawn one should be annealed, or both get the same heat treatment.

Nick

Both steels are typically good for making saw blades.

Both steels are typically good for making saw blades.

If you want, should work. But only for wood or just the back of the saw, not for the teeth (in metal).
Both steels are not even a typical cold working steels (reamers etc.). The C75Cr1 also would be good for a chisel for stone.
There are more applications …

Nick

Wow! Thanks for those information! I am having a nice time hanging around here.

Back