need help for an important decision

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariz

Reaction score
dear friends, I'm in a moment of my life when it's time to take a decision, but I'm not sure which is the best way to go
I would like to hear from you, this group is always ready to help its members and maybe that you could give me some useful suggestion
it isn't easy for me to explain in english, but to make a long story short, my boss has asked to me if I want to take more responsabilities (and work!) in change of more money.
I'm 50 years old and probably this is my last chance to have a promotion.
where I work, there are already 3 men (well, 3 women) in the rank or position that I would take; with me, we will be 4.
but these gentle colleagues, after having know the proposal of the boss, are saying to me that that position isn't for me, it is too hard, and I'll not have any time for my hobbies, and finally I'll reject the new job miserably, I'll disappoint the boss and I'll return to my present job.
well, maybe that they were right saying so, but they don't seem, to me, geniuouses... one of them isn't graduate, while I am (and the other 2 too).
I don't have much time to ponder, maybe a week or two before to answer to the boss.
what do you think mates?
I forgot to say that I like to have my free time to work in the shop, and probably a part of this time will be sacrified, but as I see with the 3 colleagues that already are in this position, it will be a matter of 3 or 4 hours a week (to add at the 36 hours of normal work). in change of that (and of new responsabilities), I'll earn about 5000 euro more in a year, and more in the next years if everything goes well

Only 4 more hours per week? To get 5,000 euros more?

There are 168 hours in a week. Work 40, sleep 42, travel and miscellaneous 10,shop time 76 hours.

Go for the EUROS !!! :big:

-MB

Ariz,

You obviously like challenges and problem solving otherwise you would not have this among your hobby interests.

Maxwell Maltz said

"We are built to conquer environment, solve problems, achieve goals, and we find no real satisfaction or happiness in life without obstacles to conquer and goals to achieve."

And I agree, I am never more happy when I have problems to solve or some obstacle to conquer. I like to work with my hands, to build and create and put into a physical form that which comes from my creativity of thinking and dreaming.

My job can be tedious at times but I readily accept new challenges whenever the opportunity presents itself because I know I will be happier taking on that new challenge even if the reward is just a job well done.

In the end I am always a better person for having taken up the challenge win or lose, success or failure.

I would say, have a go, accept the challenge and make the best of it!

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Go for it. I'd rather have tried the new job and failed, than to never have advanced. Besides, you said the old job would still be available to fall back on... a nice safety net.

Ariz:
Your call obviously.

In my personal situation I am away from home 55 hours per week I get paid for 40.I work an 8 hour day ,1 hour lunch (unpaid)and 1 hour each way commute times five days. There have been times when I was home more and paid more. I did not necessarily make the best use of my free time.
I would examine the motivation of the advice of the coworkers. Are they sincere or are they threatened by your possible promotion? Are they happy in there work? Do you have the skills and personality for the position?
The money is a good thing that sound like a great raise. But if you are going to hate everyone and yourself while doing it it aint worth it.
Many of us here in the US have to work 50 -60 hours a week. so if your regular week is 40 you are a head of the game.
Hope this lends some perspective
Tin

Greetings Ariz. I'd like to say that if you believe that you are capable of performing the tasks that are assigned to you in this new position offering, accept it and press head on into it. Most certainly it will take you from your shop activities for a while until you become comfortable and get the feel for the new position. Everyone else, be damned. Those folks, perhaps your friends, perhaps not are most likely either jealous that you are being offered up this opportunity or are scared that changes are going to be made and they may have to become more accountable for their work. In either case, it does not matter. As you said, at your age (we are roughly the same) their most likely will not be many if any more chances to further ones career. Take the money and run like you stole it and do not look back. You will not be sorry you made this decision. Your time in the shop doesn't pay that well and you will have conquered the field as well as showing the management people that they were correct in their choice of offering you the position. It may or may not be difficult at first but as I said, it will become easier. May I offer you all of my hopes that you will succeed and make the right choice. Best of luck.

BC1
Jim

I have now changed career directions about 6 times. 3 of them while staying with the same company. I always looked for a challenge, a chance to learn / grow, and to add to my skill set and resume (should I need to move on). I left one of the best jobs I ever had because the travel took me away from home too much and my boys were needing more involvement. So sometimes other priorities influence your decision. I will say that making the most money has never been the top priority for me. I need "enough" but in the end my family, my church and my real life are more important than more $$$.

I took a job that I never would have dreamed that I would like as a sales mananger. My boss and I had an agreement that in 6 months we would sit down and decide if we were both happy with the arrangement. I could go back to my old job with no hard feelings either way. Nice way to explore and see if there is a good fit without a big risk. The key (for me) is to find a job that lets me manage my priorities, provide "enough" income, and do something that I enjoy and find challenging. It is so much easier to put in the hours for a job you like than to dread going to work.

Can't tell you the best decision but maybe some of this was useful to think about.

I can't help you with your decision but I can tell you what I would do in those circumstances.

I was once full of ambition & talented enough to rise to dizzying heights in the corporate rat race. I'm a work-a-holic with a 'can do' attitude & I was a sought after project manager / problem solver in the UK's largest retailer of electrical goods.

I used to earn £100k+ in basic salary, my biggest year was '98 at £350k. 90hr working weeks were common, I had a big house, a huge car & sometimes a chauffeur. I always flew business class & have seen the inside of a Cessna Citation more than once. In 96, 97 & 98 I spent more time in China than I did at my big house.

I still remember the birthdays of the 3 girls that managed my office.

I awoke in a hotel room in Belgium & for a few minutes I didn't know exactly which country I was in, we'd done 6 countries in 4 days on a deal worth $billions. I reached for the phone & called home for some comfort, my eldest daughter answered & seemed pretty impressed that I'd bothered to call on her 18th birthday.

The big house went with the missus, I miss her less than I miss the house & I miss them both a lot less than my favourite big car (a Vx Senator, 3.0 manual). My relationship with my children has been slowly re-built but I suspect there are still a few issues.

I hope not to make the same mistakes with the grandkids.

Ambition is dangerous where it cannot be qualified with success, success is dangerous if it cannot be qualified by reward.

Money is the WRONG way to keep score.

I never did anything for £money.

If jumping from a 36hr week to a 40hr one with a bonus of 5k euros puts you in a spin then today I'd say don't do it. 5 years ago I would probably have downgraded you for the hesitation.

If I'd asked you the question I'd already have known the answer.

Don't worry about upsetting the boss, worry first about yourself then worry about your family, I would give absolutely NO consideration whatsoever to the opinions of the 3 people you mentioned who are already in that position.

The boss wouldn't have asked you if he didn't think you were capable or worthy. Doing it for a trial period IMO is not an option, you either do it or you don't. At least one person out there thinks you can do it.

I don't know if you think yourself that you can do it, you talk about the negative impact it will have your life & for that reason alone I would never have asked you.

If you can come to think that you can do it & can overcome the negatives then jump at it.

Ask the boss why he asked you?

Ask the family once you have all the info.

Then toss a coin !

i chucked in a good job and good benefits, because i wasn't happy at work. i'd stuck it for too many years.

got a job that paid less, no hassle.

got to say, for me it was the right way to go. i'm only 42, didn't want to look back on my life in 20 years and realise i'd done a job i hated.

what ever you decide, i hope it works out ok.

Ariz,

This is going to sound simplistic. However I thin the answer is simple.

Go with what your heart tells you is right. It is good to better one's self. Whether that be in financial reward, or the satisfaction of a job well done. However, all of that is worthless if you hate the job.

You know in your soul what -you- want to do. Listen you your heart.

Best of luck.

Ciao!

Thank you so much, all of you
I'm glad to have asked here, your words are very important for me and can help me in this situation.
You gave me different views and perspectives, some of which I had not considered.
and I understand that I'm the only person who can know and decide. not for the $, not for vanity, and keeping in mind my family and our lives
I'll let you know how this story will end, for now a karma point for all you. it isn't much, but a way to tell you THANK YOU!

Ariz:
One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from a boss was Figure it out for yourself.
I had just started a new job in a small place that printed microscope slides for medical testing research.
I was the art department. After asking the boss a question he told me " Figurure it out . That is what I hired you for if I teel you how to do you job you wont like the answer. If you have big problems and need help see me but do not bother me with the little stuff.

A major job change is a big what if life changing decision and IMHO seeking wise council is well WISE.
Tin

Ariz,

Thank you for sharing this confidence with us. I appreciate your concerns. If the boss has offered you the job, then he thinks you can do it. I too have severe doubts about the motivation of your future co-workers/managers.

Lastly - Don't die wondering what might have been. We will applaud whatever choice you make.

Best Regards
Bob

I agree with Bob, Ariz - your boss must think you are up to the work or he wouldn't have offered.

Good luck with it, whatever your decision.

Just remember,life is short,so do what will make you and yours happy. Money isn't everything.

Best wishes Ian,(seagar).

Latest posts

Back