Need bezel for old Mitutoyo calipers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtal_01

Reaction score
So before I started trying to make something work, I thought I would see if anyone has a source for discontinued or aftermarket parts.

I have an old pair of 6" Mitutoyo calipers ... 505-626

I tried the factory first ... discontinued in 1982 ... no parts available.

I found a breakdown ... part number is 101579

They could not even tell me what the size of this bezel is.

It is hard to tell what size it should be as it fits into a tapered groove but it looks like about 1.360" (34.5mm)

I also need the bezel lock ... 130367 .. but that is just a small piece of plastic I make in no time it I can't find one.

Thanks .... Mike

Attachments

• P1240076.JPG
    P1240076.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 102
  • P1240077.JPG
    P1240077.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 85
Most watch repair will have one or can order one.

Dave

So before I started trying to make something work, I thought I would see if anyone has a source for discontinued or aftermarket parts.

It is hard to tell what size it should be as it fits into a tapered groove but it looks like about 1.360" (34.5mm)

I also need the bezel lock ... 130367 .. but that is just a small piece of plastic I make in no time it I can't find one.

Thanks .... Mike

Thanks ...

I thought about that and did a quick search on watch crystals. I actually found on super cheap and the right diameter but it was made of mineral glass. I think it will need to be plastic so it flexes as the bezel ring won't. I check more in that direction they must make plastic ones.

Thanks!

Most watch repair will have one or can order one.

Dave

Watch repair will press in the crystal with press. I would check local watch repair and see they installed the crystal they may have plastic too.

Dave

Thanks ...

I thought about that and did a quick search on watch crystals. I actually found on super cheap and the right diameter but it was made of mineral glass. I think it will need to be plastic so it flexes as the bezel ring won't. I check more in that direction they must make plastic ones.

Thanks!

If the watch repair places don't work out, M.R. Tool Repair or Long Isalnd Indicator might be able to source one for you. Mitutuyo also has offices, maybe a parts warehouse, in Aurora, IL.

Thanks .... Mike
I just purchased a couple crystals for dial drop indicators, this eBay vendor has many different ones, and even though they are in China delivered in about a week. They have all kinds of measuring equipment parts, such as tips, some hands, CMM parts.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dm...me=speedingstar&_oac=1&_nkw=indicator crystal

Thanks!

I will call around ... not sure if we even have a "real" watch repair shop here any more. I live in VT .... the entire state is rural ... our largest city only has 42,000 people, I think about 625,000 in the entire state.

Like I said, I did try Mitutoyo direct and they just said obsolete.

I am sure I can't be the only one who has a broken crystal.

These are my "old" set .... I don't mind taking them out into the field ... but they still work great.

I saw the guy on ebay ... they list the crystal for the newer unit but not mine. I didn't think but that is a great idea. I will e-mail him and see what he has!

Kind of funny ... I seem to go through this a lot. Living in VT, I am surrounded by farmers with very old equipment. I am always trying to source obsolete part for something.

Thanks so much again!

Mike

If the watch repair places don't work out, M.R. Tool Repair or Long Isalnd Indicator might be able to source one for you. Mitutuyo also has offices, maybe a parts warehouse, in Aurora, IL.

Were they actually made in South America?

As I said, there are old .... made in Japan They must have been a set I first got then I was an apprentice (well actually probably my second set ... I still have my first set ,... non dial ... Kanon .. made in Japan .... still have a calibration sticker on them from Westinghouse dated 02/82).

Funny, at the time we thought these were "cheap" .... not good ones made in America or England.

Mitutoyo did send me the parts diagram

Attachments

• 505-626.pdf
    156.3 KB · Views: 79
Were they actually made in South America?

As I said, there are old .... made in Japan They must have been a set I first got then I was an apprentice (well actually probably my second set ... I still have my first set ,... non dial ... Kanon .. made in Japan .... still have a calibration sticker on them from Westinghouse dated 02/82).

Funny, at the time we thought these were "cheap" .... not good ones made in America or England.

Mitutoyo did send me the parts diagram
I had to order them here in Australia took about a week then they turned up via a courier service , and yes they were made in Brazil SA under the name of "Mitutoyo"

WOW ... that is interesting.

Funny how in my life time items we once called "jap crap" are now considered amount the best in the world. We now pay a premium to have things made in Japan (as opposed to places like China).

Brazil must still have some good skilled workers (Mitutoyo in my mind still has very good quality) and yet their wages must be considerably less than Japan.

I had to order them here in Australia took about a week then they turned up via a courier service , and yes they were made in Brazil SA under the name of "Mitutoyo"

I machined my own out of Lexan . Not domed, just flat with a small counter bore for the center indicator shaft.
Not elegant but it works. Small amount of clear fingernail polish on the od does the final sealing/holding.
You can machine a small bevel lip so it snaps in place.

For the first time in my life, I am without a lathe ... well I have a few but they are in the tractor trailer beside the house. I am in the middle of building a new workshop, so everything is packed in for storage.

Even when I was in college I put a small hobby lathe in the attic of the place I was renting.

Just FYI, I have found machinists make terrible carpenters. I can't stand when things are not exact ... and wood is terrible! I can build a wall exact just to watch it shrink and warp as the wood dries (so much for kiln dried wood).

If you need a laugh, here is a link to some videos my wife put up on Youtube. Weather is breaking here in VT. Want to get back at building next week (had to stop when the telehandler would not start and my nail gun froze ... we had a lot of -10 days in the past two months).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYAzdvTKwlfPxOTVmYMoAjg

I machined my own out of Lexan . Not domed, just flat with a small counter bore for the center indicator shaft.
Not elegant but it works. Small amount of clear fingernail polish on the od does the final sealing/holding.
You can machine a small bevel lip so it snaps in place.

Back