Nearly there....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee webster

Reaction score
My 3D resin printer has sat idle for a while now because of two things.
One, I am not going to waste expensive resin printing something I can't use (in casting).
Two, the "slicer" programme, Photon Workshop, that came with the printer wouldn't work on either of my computers. My "internet" computer, this one. Or my CAD computer, never connected to the WWW. I searched the WWW for a third party slicer, they are a bit thin on the ground. I tried Chitubox, it crashed on computer 1, and I couldn't install it on 2 because of registration with the Chitubox website. I then tried Lychee slicer, it worked very well. It has a feature that will determine if your STL file is damaged and try to repair it for you. That feature was handy. I couldn't install it on 2 because the programme logs on to its home site to check in, I don't like software that does that, a bit too much like F360 and other so called "free" software. When you ask Lychee to slice your file, you have to watch a 20 second advert on how wonderfull the programme is (fair enough) before it will do the slicing. If you upgrade to the pro version there is no ad and you get more features. I then looked at the Prusa slicer. It hasn't got the correct drivers for my printer, yet, but it might have in the future. But it did have one feature that caught my eye. Once you have your STL prepared the way you want, hollowing out the middle to cut down on resin use, putting holes in various places to allow resin out and cleaner in, and the placement of supports, the file can be exported as an STL with all the above work intact. And in runs on my CAD computer. So I can now design things on 2, export them as an STL, import the file into Prusa slicer, do the biz, export the file as an STL, and import said file into Photon Workshop which will then slice it and save it in a format my printer understands. Phew! I did try PW on a third computer I have. It is a Windows 7 machine with lots of memory and a powerful graphics card with lots of memory. It took a fair bit of work to get the programme to run on the machine, and they don't really like each other. Are there any other slicers out there?

I use the Prusa slicer.
There is a bit of a learning curve with 3D programs, 3D printers, and slicer files/formats.

I feel for you.
Windows constantly changing versions and forcing upgrades does not help anything either.

Thanks GreenTwin, I had to give up using my Win7 computer with Photon workshop as it kept crashing. The programme is very unstable.

Hi Folks,

For anyone so inclined, the Windows 64 bit version of Photon Workshop installed fine on Linux Mint 20.3 with Wine. I haven't tested it on any of the Windows 10 boxes. Once the slicer is sorted out, there is an excellent small test print that uses very little resin and will give you a lot of insight into the capabilities of your printer and any changes you might need to make to slicer settings.

https://ameralabs.com/blog/town-calibration-part/
Best to all,
Stan

I had seen these before, but I thought they were just a fancy looking item to show that a resin printer could print good detail. Now I know better. Thanks!
Lee
Edit.
Part of my problem is my computers. My CAD computer is an HP Pavillion laptop. It runs CAD software OK, DesignSpark5 and SolidEdge. And it runs Prusa slicer OK, but I think Photon workshop needs a graphics card. My Win7 computer has 16GB of main memory and an Nvidia graphics card with 4GB of memory. Photon workshop crashes a lot on it, but when it doesn't crash it runs very well indeed. What I really need is an up to date computer with a good graphics card. I will soldier on with what I've got for the time being. It will soon be Christmas, who knows what I might find under the tree. If I had a tree.
Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back