Naylon Viper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lantain1982

Reaction score
Happy New Year to All! [2022 just has to be better than 2021?]

Recently completed a Naylon Viper to the "Motor Boys" plans as a Covid project.
Its a good looking engine and the write up it received back in the 1958 period praised its performance.
This is my first single and required some detailed processes some of which had not been required in my multi cylinder engines.
At this point in time its performance [starting] is unknown due to the inability to find a supplier of diesel fuel here in the land of Oz.
If any forum members have a brew which will compliment the ether problem it would be most appreciated.
In line with the vintage it is fitted with a 8 x 4 wooden prop.
IMG_20210701_094846.jpg
IMG_20210701_095018.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_094846.jpg
    IMG_20210701_094846.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210701_094846.jpg
    IMG_20210701_094846.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 64
I have in years past bled off the propellant from a starting fluid aerosol can and then extracted the liquid. The word on the street is that John Deere starting fluid is good. I recall that I used NAPA Auto Parts fluid. I am based in the US, and have no info on starting fluid availability in Australia.

I built two Nalon Vipers, one of each style. They are my favorite among my stable of "Diesels." They are L-O-U-D!

I have in years past bled off the propellant from a starting fluid aerosol can and then extracted the liquid. The word on the street is that John Deere starting fluid is good. I recall that I used NAPA Auto Parts fluid. I am based in the US, and have no info on starting fluid availability in Australia.

I built two Nalon Vipers, one of each style. They are my favorite among my stable of "Diesels." They are L-O-U-D!
I just made three to the prototype design. They really are a great little engine. Any idea of RPM on a 8x4? i clocked mine at 13,000. No idea whether thats decent or not. Im tempted to get one back on the lathe and open up the transfer passage in the crank case ( i was scared of going too far and cutting into the bolt holes).

Alas, I have no idea what is the speed of mine. 13k RPM sounds very good to me, but what do I know?

Alas, I have no idea what is the speed of mine. 13k RPM sounds very good to me, but what do I know?
Loud as hell. love it. Funnily enough, the fastest runner had no cutaway on the crank for counterbalance (that engine was made from the not quite perfect/blemished parts I had left from the other two). Goes like stink!

Back