Nano Machines?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Like them or not, many of us own machines that are variations on the basic
models manufactured by SIEG Industrial Shanghai.

I just found out about their Nano Series Machines.
Need to make some REALLY small parts? How about a lathe with specs
of, 50mm chuck, 100mm between centers and a maximum spindle speed of 4500RPM.
If a watchmakers lathe is beyond your budget, these may be available soon.

20090614072202_378.jpg

They are also manufacturing a Nano Mill and Nano Drill. Both of those machines
have a maximum chuck capacity of 6mm and also a top speed of 4500RPM.

Here's a link to the whole story. Seig Nano Machines

I have not seen them available for sale from any USA based vendors as of yet.
Even after they are, I can't say I'd be the first to buy one. I just thought it is
an interesting addition to their offerings.

Rick

Oh, and there are videos too!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nif99qOMkM0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdADHaTCOSI[/ame]

Now I'm wondering.... scratch.gif

Rick

Those machines are small, I had to go to "page" at the top of my browser and click on "ZOOM" to about 200 x to be able to make out what they were doing. :big:

After looking at that miller, it looked like the whole X axis was on a tilt, but it probably was just a parallax error,
but that gave me a good idea, to make a small crosslide table, with one or both axis, able to pivot, for light drill and mill work. No need to tilt the vise...hmmm...

Thanks for sharing those videos..

Cute! But im still waiting for the first high end, quality, hobby size lathe from Asia! (not that im not happy they make lathes affordable for more ppl they way they sell them now)

Check out the picture gallery on the home page, som rather corny sales pics there, not to mention the slogan they have!

I wonder what clock or watch makers think of them as genuine watch makers lathes are very expensive. My little 70 year old BTM watch makers lathe is worth more than my big lathe.

I would think the market for these things is fairly limited.Certainly for a hobbyist it doesn't make much sense.You can make small stuff on a big lathe,not vice versa.

bentprop said:
I would think the market for these things is fairly limited.Certainly for a hobbyist it doesn't make much sense.You can make small stuff on a big lathe,not vice versa.

...but there's no way my wife would have let me have a big lathe in the house. Not all of us have a shop. If it wasn't for Sherline, I'd be making all of my stuff, big OR small, at work. ;D

i have buy this nano lathe, and that's great , precision

So you joined just today to tell two times (that are 100% of your postings) that this lathe is good? That smells a bit fishy for me.

Nick

hi Nick

yes im just arrived in this forum, looking for some stirling plans and another small engine project :) im still amatir with engine because im chemical student not mechanical. greetings.

Ali

Ali : It is customary here to post an introduction in the welcome section and tell us a bit about yourself , your shop and tools , your interests in model engine building and location. Ideally this should be done in the first few posts.
There is nothing wrong with posting you like your machine or machines in an appropriate thread. And please tell us more about your machines and what you like about them and what you do not like as well. even better show some photos of parts you made. or even attempts to made parts on the machine.

Nick: we have moderators here so there is no real need for members to challenge newcomers. You can encourage them to post an introduction and share more information about themselves and there interests here.

Why fishy?

cheers,
Ian

Well Ian we are not mind readers here. the only information we know about people on this board is what they tell us in there posts. someone double posting liking a Chinese import machine could be a factory rep prompting a machine that most folks here do not have a high regard for. As an admin I found the guy is from Bali concluded English as a second language and was not too worried. Turns out a chemical engineering student. And if you have not posted an intro please do so it helps us help you.

All : it is all good we see that Ali wants to be here and learn . He has posted a question about CO2 engines and life goes on. So please back on topic and talk about the Nano machines in this thread.
Tin

I think I will stick with my KRV3000 mill. That one looks like it takes all day doing nothing. I recently bought an ex school Boxford 280 lathe. That is really nice to use.

Happy days

hi Nick

yes im just arrived in this forum, looking for some stirling plans and another small engine project :) im still amatir with engine because im chemical student not mechanical. greetings.

Ali

Hi Ali,

If engine building is your cup of tea and you are looking for a small lathe because of the foot print or space , I would advise against these little toys.
Even if by a miracle the lathe happens to have some accuracy it is just too flimsy and small to do any usfull work. Sieg's own C1 ( I have this one ) would be a much better alternative and then you could either add the bolt on millng head ( X1 without the table) to the side of the mill at a later stage, buy a Sieg X1L and these will be a better choice.
Alternatively again if you are restricted by space , you could do worse than buying a Sherline or a Taig lathe, expensive in comparison but for a reason, these lathes are just in another league compared even to a C1 never mind this little toy. You will soon either out grow this lathe and wish you had a better, larger lathe or it will make you fed up with model engineering and give up all together because you will not be able to make anything precise enough or big enough.
Engine building of any sort particularly small scale IC ones require a great deal of skill and very precise instruments, I doubt very much if this lathe meets the requirement.
Hope that you didn't mind the advice.

Regards,

A.G

There is much to be said in favour of small machines , agreed you can make small parts on a big machine but nowhere near as easily . I make my own screws and hexagon bolts down to 10 BA on my Pultra 17/50 .
A beautiful precision lathe , small enough to take into the warm kitchen in winter and capable of serious production work.
Really don't know how I managed without it,
http://youtu.be/Y-r7mEnJmNo
I also have a BCA jig borer , both machines are very old , the BCA was made in 1940 , needed stripping and re-building but were bought off forums similar to this one at very affordable prices.
Some information on these machines is available on this forum.
http://www.unionsteammodels.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1239880527

Last edited:
There is much to be said in favour of small machines , agreed you can make small parts on a big machine but nowhere near as easily . I make my own screws and hexagon bolts down to 10 BA on my Pultra 17/50 .
A beautiful precision lathe , small enough to take into the warm kitchen in winter and capable of serious production work.
Really don't know how I managed without it,
http://youtu.be/Y-r7mEnJmNo
I also have a BCA jig borer , both machines are very old , the BCA was made in 1940 , needed stripping and re-building but were bought off forums similar to this one at very affordable prices.
Some information on these machines is available on this forum.
http://www.unionsteammodels.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?
num=1239880527

Hi Abby,

I have no doubt you are correct, my main work horse for anything from 1/16"and up tp 2"is the Taig lathe, I do some work on the Sherline and swap around, I have not done much on the C1 for quite a while. The Pultra lathe shown in your link is a marvelous piece of precision engineering with a price to match . I am just not sure that the subject of the discussion would stand up to scrutiny, as far as precision is concerned.

Regards,

A.G

Everything you need... Greasy cuticles, violins, a long blue coat... and a nano-lathe!
and he is adjusting the cutting tool with the chuck spinning.
What is going on here?

I'm been quite curious on these nano lathes for a while and will ultimately get one I suspect, as looking at it, it appears better made than most of the standard and readily available, (cheap) 8mm watchmakers lathes floating around that i've seen? Supposedly these were used for quite accurate work? Something like this would be a perfect starter for my little engineers, especially as my daughter likes making pens and finials. Although even a Manson is adequate for her right now.

cheers,
Ian

Back