Mystery travelling steady

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRA

Reaction score
hi folks
A friend of mine has been dealing with her late Dad's estate; he was a wild hoarder of engineering paraphernalia, and she's been doing a really good job (with some help :)) of identifying things and finding new homes - keeping as much out of the skip as possible. And there has been a LOT of things to identify. This: Vintage 3 1/4“ Travelling steady for Lathe - Harrison, Myford, Drummond, Atlas ? | eBay - has me stumped. I wonder if anyone recognises what it is off of. The adjusters look a bit 'Colchester', but it is too small at 3 1/4" centre height.
cheers
Mark

It's an odd foot, isn't it. I wonder what the height-over-cross-slide on a Drummond round-bed is (I think they're 4" over bed). This thing would perhaps attach to the slots in the cross-slide - there might be room for it next to the tool post.
cheers
Mark

I have a Drummond Roundbed and a travelling steady for it. The travelling steady mounts to the slotted saddle (not the cross slide). 3 1/4" sounds about right for the centre height above the saddle.
Travelling+Steady.jpg

It was probably made by my grandfather, who bought the lathe new in 1926 and made several accessories for it.

Latest posts

Back