Mystery tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend bought this at an auction thinking it was a clamp but it doesn’t clamp. The arrow shaped head is free to rotate. The T handle turns the shaft and the travel nut with the wings screws up and down the shaft. The wings are beveled on the inside surfaces. It seems like the head goes through something and traps it and the travel nut screws down to tighten on it. But that would be difficult since the head swivels and you couldn’t turn it with the T handle to catch anything. Any ideas?
8C560459-FDBE-4F16-8AFC-C3406A3D20B1.jpeg

Hi shopgeezer, that's the threaded part of an old shoe tree.

We thought of that but couldn’t see how it would work in a shoe. The T handle wouldn’t be part of a shoe tree. It would have to be something to push on the heel of the shoe as in the photo below.
06592C97-6B9D-4C60-8F22-ABB8F3032A17.png

A friend bought this at an auction thinking it was a clamp but it doesn’t clamp. The arrow shaped head is free to rotate. The T handle turns the shaft and the travel nut with the wings screws up and down the shaft. The wings are beveled on the inside surfaces. It seems like the head goes through something and traps it and the travel nut screws down to tighten on it. But that would be difficult since the head swivels and you couldn’t turn it with the T handle to catch anything. Any ideas?View attachment 131977
Yeah, I know what that is. It's a specialized arrow for hunting white men. My ancestors discovered that if you make those threads on it that it would turn the arrow, making it fly longer and straighter. Once the arrow got some "prey" the shaft kept turning, thus tightening the arrowhead making it impossible for edit to get it out. The "Human Beings", of course, knew how to unscrew it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Akitene said, it IS part of a shoe 'expander' for stretching the width of a shoe. I have a couple, one with the wooden spreader that fits inside a shoe.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 144
Looks to me like the its from a tyring plate , for clamping down the wooden spoke wheel hub to the plate to drop the hot tyre on on.
Haven't seen one in many years but reminds me of it

As Akitene said, it IS part of a shoe 'expander' for stretching the width of a shoe. I have a couple, one with the wooden spreader that fits inside a shoe.
So the head would move forward and push the two halves of the wooden expander apart? The shaft must angle up to avoid the heel of the shoe. Not sure how that would work with this tool. What role does the winged travel nut play?

So the head would move forward and push the two halves of the wooden expander apart? The shaft must angle up to avoid the heel of the shoe. Not sure how that would work with this tool. What role does the winged travel nut play?
It's the pivot point for the two halves..... I thought you were all 'engineers' on here! :)

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 99
  • shoe2.jpg
    shoe2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 93
"It is a proprietary device for removing Boy Scouts from Girl Guides..". was the standard answer when I was a lad, and the world a simpler place... We could only put men on the moon, or satellites around distant planets, with calculations done by people, not machines. Drawings were drawn, machining took skill, and understanding, after teaching, training and lots of practice... Fitness was being able to run for a bus. You had to be 21 before you were responsible enough to vote, yet only 16 to have children. Now people vote at 18, and wait until 30 before having kids! We walked everywhere, or caught a bus.... Pencils lived behind ears, in case we thought of something useful to write down - Yes, we wrote on paper! We carried small knives for sharpening pencils... Now kids carry large knives for carving each other - or guns. Our guns were 2 fingers pointed and we shouted Peow! Poew! - I have never held a real one. We collected glass bottles, to return to shops for the penny deposit - Now that was re-cycling! Aluminium and paper were re-cycled, veg matter went on the compost (including tea leaves and coffee grounds) to grow better vegetables later. We had outside loos.... Quick in winter! We bathed weekly, whether we needed to, or not. We scraped ice off the windows on winter mornings to see if it was frost or snow outside... We laughed and played outside - in all weathers. We saved a few years to buy bicycles (Luxury!), and my Dad had a treadle lathe - My Sister powered it while I machined small parts for models... (My legs didn't reach the treadle when sat on the stool to use the lathe...).
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, if my memory serves me well?
;)
K2

"It is a proprietary device for removing Boy Scouts from Girl Guides..". was the standard answer when I was a lad, and the world a simpler place... We could only put men on the moon, or satellites around distant planets, with calculations done by people, not machines. Drawings were drawn, machining took skill, and understanding, after teaching, training and lots of practice... Fitness was being able to run for a bus. You had to be 21 before you were responsible enough to vote, yet only 16 to have children. Now people vote at 18, and wait until 30 before having kids! We walked everywhere, or caught a bus.... Pencils lived behind ears, in case we thought of something useful to write down - Yes, we wrote on paper! We carried small knives for sharpening pencils... Now kids carry large knives for carving each other - or guns. Our guns were 2 fingers pointed and we shouted Peow! Poew! - I have never held a real one. We collected glass bottles, to return to shops for the penny deposit - Now that was re-cycling! Aluminium and paper were re-cycled, veg matter went on the compost (including tea leaves and coffee grounds) to grow better vegetables later. We had outside loos.... Quick in winter! We bathed weekly, whether we needed to, or not. We scraped ice off the windows on winter mornings to see if it was frost or snow outside... We laughed and played outside - in all weathers. We saved a few years to buy bicycles (Luxury!), and my Dad had a treadle lathe - My Sister powered it while I machined small parts for models... (My legs didn't reach the treadle when sat on the stool to use the lathe...).
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, if my memory serves me well?
;)
K2
Same here. The snow was whiter then. However, there is one thing different between our countries: Here, we are required to own and carry guns.

Steamchick
You forgot one important fact. We had to walk 10 miles to school uphill both ways with snow up to butts and with no shoes.
Oh yes the good old days.

In our colonies I'm afraid to say as a kid we had many servants. Each kid had its own personal attendant. My wife says I got never over it. All in all its no wonder they took back their independance.

Peter T: It wasn't tough - it was all we knew and toughened us! And it was FUN! - Loved it!
- I find modern Tablets, Windows 10, etc. Tough! - Not like the PCs I understood! - The language has changed to "Nerd-stuff" - so they can have a secret society that older folk can't understand.... -even "Nerd" is modern speak for someone who sits in their bedroom as a child and talks to no-one except a computer screen.... and can't handle real people...
I find life is not easier now...
K2

In the "old days", when I went to my University to get my BSME, I used a slide rule for calculations and had a "pocket protector". It had the University name on it. It keep my shirt pocket from getting stained from the leaking ball point pens/markers/highlighters used to note particularly important sections in our VERY expensive engineering textbooks.

I still have my book and my father's book.
Also the slide rules and mechanical pencil with the drafting tools.

Now find the batteries for slide rule and the cord for the drafting tools.

Dave

In the "old days", when I went to my University to get my BSME, I used a slide rule for calculations and had a "pocket protector". It had the University name on it. It keep my shirt pocket from getting stained from the leaking ball point pens/markers/highlighters used to note particularly important sections in our VERY expensive engineering textbooks.

Latest posts

Back