Myford S7B Bearing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronJ

Grumpy Old Git.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Myford S7B counter shaft has started to rumble particularly at higher speeds.

Does anyone know what bearings are needed to replace the ones on the counter shaft. While I'm at it I might as well replace the belt if anyone knows what size it is. The number on mine has completely worn off

John

I know that there are TWO sets( and maybe more). The old( Sight glass model) was roller bearings whilst the more modern - had THREE plain bushes.

The belt is best researched by Googling for the manual for the Super 7. It looks ttty but it covers yje PXF model.
Hint, the headstock belt was oil soaked when I took possession. I ordered a A Series link belt from RDG and it wasn't.:confused:

As for the bearings, they are standard stuff and probably cheaper from - other. than RDG Tools.

I hope my comments- sort of help

Best wishes

Norm.

Is it fitted with a clutch
The standard machine no clutch are oilite bushes 7/8 ID 1 inch OD you need to check the length
Myford part No A9963 and A9964 at a much inflated price
The clutch version has a ball bearing from memory and a needle roller bearing again depending on age and style of clutch
Will have a look tomorrow to see if the numbers are still on my machine or I usually write them in the covers
Iv found the shaft to be worn as well in the past
https://drivebeltsolutions.co.uk/myford-super-7-headstock-vee-belt-70000

Last edited:
Oops! I had a Mark 1 clutch on the previous machine and , of course, a different clutch on this new-err one.
Thanks, Frazer. I'm simply projecting how much that it will all be worth- when I have popped my clogs.:D

John

I know that there are TWO sets( and maybe more). The old( Sight glass model) was roller bearings whilst the more modern - had THREE plain bushes.

The belt is best researched by Googling for the manual for the Super 7. It looks ttty but it covers yje PXF model.
Hint, the headstock belt was oil soaked when I took possession. I ordered a A Series link belt from RDG and it wasn't.:confused:

As for the bearings, they are standard stuff and probably cheaper from - other. than RDG Tools.

I hope my comments- sort of help

Best wishes

Norm.

Hi Norman,
I have the handbook that came with the lathe and the downloaded copy off the net. They show three bearings and one oillight bush.

I haven't found anything other than Myford part numbers for the parts I think I'll need. There are no type numbers, but there are dire warnings about how to properly remove the counter shaft.

If I can find the actual bearing numbers I can get the bearings locally, as you say probably much cheaper than RGD. Who I'm not that impressed with anyway.

Last edited:
Is it fitted with a clutch
The standard machine no clutch are oilite bushes 7/8 ID 1 inch OD you need to check the length
Myford part No A9963 and A9964 at a much inflated price
The clutch version has a ball bearing from memory and a needle roller bearing again depending on age and style of clutch
Will have a look tomorrow to see if the numbers are still on my machine or I usually write them in the covers
Iv found the shaft to be worn as well in the past
https://drivebeltsolutions.co.uk/myford-super-7-headstock-vee-belt-70000

That is great ! Thank you Frazer. The belt on mine is the original one and its well oil soaked and beginning to shred. I'll get both ordered today, though I only need the headstock one.

Now to sort out what bearings I need !

John

Hug e probs with my sight but the newest manual describes oilte bearings but only gives Myford part no's.

I got a set from Bearing Service in Gateshead but sold the lathe before fitting them.
So apologies and thanks

N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding s oft jaws for. my newer Myford, I am now 'ca r-less'-- pric e and age and g etting to Gates head in a lockdown by taxi is out of the question.
I've nev er been over. the doorstep except into hospital since February.

73004 double shielded
Follow the dire warnings the lugs are very very easily snapped .Yep I found out the hard way thank heavens I for tig
cheers

Are these the pair in the clutch hub ? No:27 in this picture.
Myford Parts.jpg

Last edited:
Yes thats them
I kept a note from many moons ago when I had to change them on my previous machine. From memory that aint that good .There are a few versions of the clutch that look the same but they beefed up the bearings and fitted a needle roller bearing in another version of the same idea. Before they totally changed the design
It maybe a case of strip n check
Im now looking for the sizes of the wee bush that goes into the cross slides carrier . The alloy casing straight behind the dial and handle assy . Is got a bit of shake rattle and roll
Keep well

Yes thats them
I kept a note from many moons ago when I had to change them on my previous machine. From memory that aint that good .There are a few versions of the clutch that look the same but they beefed up the bearings and fitted a needle roller bearing in another version of the same idea. Before they totally changed the design
It maybe a case of strip n check
Im now looking for the sizes of the wee bush that goes into the cross slides carrier . The alloy casing straight behind the dial and handle assy . Is got a bit of shake rattle and roll
Keep well

There is a bearing conversion set for that ! Have a word with ARC Euro or look on the web site.

Morning John

Thanks but unless I'm having anothrt of these senior moments, the thrust bearing is for the ML7 whereas mine is now one of those fancy Powere crossfeed versions of the Myford Super7-- with a box.

However, it all has prompted me to get a safety visor etc and a new 1/16th slitting saw.
Sounds barmy butI'm also looking to do this seemingly horrid and impossible conversion from 1" diameter stuff on things like grinders to the more available 25mm. In a nut shell-- curing rattling good fits!

No folks- I'm not quite ready for the nut house yet. The Mark3 Quorn is that gnat's cock out and I have an Early Perpendicular - or Gothic Mark One. Of course, I HAVE a Quorn and a bilious green Myford.

That is great ! Thank you Frazer. The belt on mine is the original one and its well oil soaked and beginning to shred. I'll get both ordered today, though I only need the headstock one.

Now to sort out what bearings I need !
Super7 without a clutch? Didn't it always have a clutch? ML7 has no clutch, but could be added as an optional extra. When you replace the headstock belt go for a NuTee Link belt. Saves all the hassle of removing the spindle - easy on an ML7 but a nightmare on a Super7. How do the belts on a Super7 get oil soaked?

Hi Dick,

Oil migrates along the counter shaft spindle and gets thrown all over the cover, then it drips down on the spindle pulley and all over the belt. Generally it looks like its been sprayed all over in there. But that is a result of regular filling of the oil cups and the oil spray not being cleaned off.

This machine drinks oil ! It even gets thrown out of the back and front of the bronze bearing.

I'll go take a picture...
22-07-2020-1.JPG

Here you can see the oil on the wall behind the lathe from the front of the spindle behind the chuck.

22-07-2020-2.JPG

And here inside the headstock casing.

22-07-2020-3.JPG

These two oil cups get regularly filled with oil. The oil migrates inwards towards the pulley, as can be seen by the black marks on the pulley edges.

22-07-2020-4.JPG

And inside the casing.

The recommended oil is NUTO32 which is SAE 32 Hydraulic oil.
John
Your wall is remarkably spotless compared to mine. I use lard oil- as a cutting oil and it flings about like the Ouzel Wousle bird - which is famed for its disappearing act:D

Thanks for the link, I had forgotten about the conversion
I had a Super without a clutch one of the later ones .It may have been specified that way from the factory as I bought it with a few others from the factory liquidation sale I just thought the clutch was an option
The cross slide bracket on the ML7R I now have is not bushed unlike the older ML7
So will just bolt it to a block of alloy clock it in and bore it out in the mill
That walls pretty clean try one when a Myford has ran there for 30 plus years
Keep well
cheers
frazer

Latest posts

Back